For you Snorkelers out there

cruisinbuddy

I always bring my own snorkeling gear. You never know how well the rental stuff is cleaned. Besides, the cost to rent gear in some places is half the cost of what it would be to BUY it. A mask, snorkel, and fins aren't much to pack... I even take my wetsuit and its still not that bad.

I always bring my own equipment for two reasons in addition to those above. It allows me to go snorkeling even if I have only a few minutes at a beach. And I can use my prescription mask.

However, if I think that the only time I will be able to snorkel is on a snorkeling excursion where they provide equipment, I take my mask and snorkel, but not my fins.

We always bring ours for the reasons listed above. We also bring our fins, because we are finding that fins are not always available for some reason. For instances in Aruba. I think this is for safety reasons, but obviously it is more difficult without fins. We have a separate duffel bag for our gear that also holds other misc. stuff.

Since our next cruise in the Panama Canal and all but one port is on the Pacific side, we are leaving our gear at home and our going other things on this cruise.

DW & I were driving by a scuba store and they had a sign out advertising Snorkel gear packages for those going south, which made me think of getting some other opinions. Funny thing is, we just got @ a foot of snow yesterday. I think sales might be brisk. I like the idea also of "fighting" the crowd to get your gear. There's always one A-hole that has to be first. Guess what's going to be under the Xmas tree next year?

Thanks folks.

We always bring ours. We bought ours after the summer and they were on sale cheap!!!:) Borrow fins from the excursion company. Can't imagine biting on something that someone I've never met had in their mouth!:eek: GROSS!:eek: :eek:

As a nurse, I like to think of it as a good way to pick up some of those nasty diseases out there. You have no idea who was wearing the snorkel last and how it was cleaned. The snorkel mouth piece seems to get chewed on alot and no amount of disinfecting is going to totally clean it especially in the cracked areas which all tour companies have. Now I will drop the big words....think Hepatitis....now go buy your own set and take the trouble to carry..... at least the snorkel south if nothing else. Be safe.

It seems that most people here take there own snorkel but use fins from the excursion company. However, given Cammie10's post about possible diseases, how many of you would put your bare feet into someone else's shoes and wear them for half a day? That's exactly what you're doing when you wear someone else's fins.

Before we bought ALL of our own gear, we used those that were supplied with the excursion. I had a bad fin fit and wore off the skin on the tops of both feet. From that point on it was hard to wear shoes let alone do more snorkeling.

Melika, I hate to disagree with you, but you cannot buy a "good" snorkel set for $5. You can get a snorkel set, but it won't be good. Mask fit is critical and if it doesn't fit correctly, it will leak. It's terribly hard to snorkel with a mask full of water. If you can't try on the mask and check the fit, you might have a leaky one. Masks are designed for different face types. My wifes mask will not fit me and vice versa.

I suggest going to a local scuba duving shop to buy your gear. They have professionals there who will make sure your equipment fits properly and that it will serve you for many years to come.

Sure it will be a little more expensive but it's worth it. Here is what we paid paid, approximately; Mask $60-$75 each, snorkel fins $50 per pair (dive fins will run you more than twice that), waterless snorkel, $50 each, snorkel vest $50 each (but I have seen them on sale in the Internet for $20). The fit of the mask and fins are the most important, so at least get those from a dive shop.

Equipment is an investment that can increase the joy of your experience. If you want a properly fitted mask and a 'germ' free snorkel, go to your local dive shop, not Wal-mart, and be fitted. There is a world of difference and one you only appreciate if you try it!

It does not take up much room to pack.

Or you can rent. The equipment is usually about as good as the dive company.

I am not aware of any requirement... I am not a real strong swimmer. And I find that using a vest gives me just that much more boyance to make me more comfortable and increases my snorkel time in the water. Once in, it's hard to drag me back in the boat! But my husband never wears one, my sister in law didn't want to wear one this past trip, though I thought by the last reef she was looking very tired and she even got back in the boat early. She also took a VERY long nap as soon as she got back to the ship!! LOL!

Vests should be available anywhere they have masks and fins.

Before our cruise in October we purchased our own masks, snorkels and fins to take with us. We also purchased a mesh backpack from scuba.com to carry all the stuff in (made for scuba/snorkeling gear). When we arrived at the port to board the ship we gave it to the porter with the rest of our luggage, it arrived at our room in great shape. When we went on shore we would put our water, towels, etc in the bag and off we went. It was sooooooo nice :D

Archived