Live from the Amsterdam - Take Two

JudyAL

Can't find the other thread, so figured I would start a second one.

Couldn't get any decent internet access for the past several days at sea. It was almost impossible to check email ... and totally impossible to get cruise critic to load. Hence, my silence.

We spent the past five days at sea with lots of activities aboard the ship. Since they cancelled Christmas Island, the two sea days, one port, and then two more sea days to get to Raiterea (our first South Pacific Port) turned into five sea days straight. Some people are going bonkers, but not me. I loved each one of them. We had daily trivia (I just watch) ... lots of Explorations Speaker series presentations, digital camera seminar, daily religious services, etc. ... not to mention afternoon tea, followed by afternoon nap (in my case) ... :)

They also have dancing every night ... with about four dance hosts onboard for the single ladies.

Each night there is a show ... not to mention a scrumptous dinner. I have heard some people talk about the food going downhill, but I've honestly found something at every meal that I can enjoy. Maybe I'm just easy to please?

We had the ceremony for crossing the equator on Friday. It was hysterical. Poor Jay from the cruise staff has a new nickname ... Bingo Boy. :) I was just more thankful than you could know that I am a passenger on this ship, and not staff. The poor staff members who have never crossed the equator before had to submit to being slimed with whipped cream and other nasty things ... and then either be forced to jump into the pool, or sit out in the sun and bake. The officers were the jury and made the determination for each group of crew members. The ones who got to jump into the pool were lucky.

Then, of course, before this sliming ceremony, each one had to "kiss the fish" ... this big disgusting thing that had also been baking out in the sun for a while. That couldn't have smelled pretty. :) I just made real sure last night at dinner not to order any fish dishes ... I can only pray that thing didn't end up on the dinner menu. :)

Today we have finally ended our odessey at sea and are docked in Raiterea. My tour doesn't leave until 2:00, but I'd like to get off the ship and explore the shops a bit beforehand. Only thing I'm concerned about is that it is a Sunday, and I only wonder if they are gonna be open. I do see some vehicles parked near that little "mall" out there, so I am guessing that with a cruise ship in port, maybe they are opening early today.

Guess that's it for now. Today and the next four days will be busy since we remain in the South Pacific islands until Thursday before heading to Huka Hiva in the Marqueses. I'm hopefully doing a two-tank SCUBA dive tomorrow in Bora Bora (first day) and a couple of tours the second. Papette will be an all-day Circle Island tour, followed by some nighttime activities since we don't leave Papeete until 6:00 a.m. the following morning. Then, on Thursday, we will be in Moorea for the day. Should be interesting, should be fun.

Blue skies and I'll write back more soon!

--rita

Didn't realize JudyAl was still logged in on this terminal. Sorry about that.

The first post in this thread is actually from me ... kryos ... not JudyAl.

LOL ... yo, Judy ... ya gotta log off after posting from aboard ship. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

That King Neptune Ceremony is a lot of fun. Didn't the passengers also get a chance to "kiss the fish"? It really doesn't smell bad---it's salty, though.

When I stopped at Nuku Hiva it was the first port of the cruise---after seven sea days. By 10:00 AM (or so) when I was ready to tender ashore there was a very long wait for the tenders---because everyone was trying to come back!

Thanks for the update. I've been watching the posts and hoping to hear from you. I thought that you may have spent all your money in Hawaii and didn't have enought left for the internet. Sounds like this is definitely my kind of cruise. I can never be bored on sea days. It is exactly one year (January 22, 2007) when I am hoping to be leaving San Diego on the same itinerary on the Ryndam. Rita, I hope you had a wonderfuly birthday. Keep on posting ...

The other thread must be on page 2 or 3. We've been trying to keep it on page 1 for you, but it didn't happen today. It sounds like you are having a delightful cruise, and like Dorothy, I hope to be making the same voyage this time next year(as a solo also) :). She and I will definitely be asking you lots of questions upon your return. Thanks for posting, and we hope to hear from you again very soon.

Marie

Hi Rita,

I was wondering what had happened to your earlier thread. I love "cruising" vicariously with you and was so envious that you had managed to book this cruise and I hadn't that I am now booked for January of 2007 on the Amsterdam - Fort Lauderdale to Hong Kong. Certainly it's a quite different itinerary but we will be visiting some of the same ports as you are now, so I'm looking forward to your reviews. I won't be doing any sky-diving or scuba diving since I'm much more "let's take the Island tour and then check out the shops" type.:D

I am so glad that you had a wonderful, and memorable 50th birthday. I wish I could remember that far back;) However, I will be celebrating my 65th birthday aboard the Amsterdam next year. I figured that since I (hopefully) make it that far then I deserved a 49-day cruise. Of course, once home I will be on a bread and water diet (out of necessity) but that's okay since I'll have the memories to get by on until the bank account is built up again.

Continue to have a ton of fun and thanks for taking us along with you.

Valerie:D

I am sure you are now reflecting on what a wonderful trip it was with many wonderful memories made. We look forward to a full report :). Also, very anxious to get your view on traveling solo on such a long cruise.

Emjake's - Have you heard from Judy at all?

Marie

I am sure you are now reflecting on what a wonderful trip it was with many wonderful memories made. We look forward to a full report :). Also, very anxious to get your view on traveling solo on such a long cruise.

Emjake's - Have you heard from Judy at all?

Marie

No, and she was e-mailing darn near every single day; I suspect the shipboard e-connect may be out of order due to zero e-mails and (apparantly?) zero updates on the Live...page(s). boo hiss....it was lovely reading Judy's review, day to day and I loved the Live postings, as well. I think everyone has had a wonderful cruise and I'm guessing ready to get home. I can't imagine anything longer than 7 nights! but these long sailings do sell out......Do you know when they get back to SAN?

Marie - tnx f/reply - "5th". Believe Judy is flying back to SC on 6th (and know she can't wait to see her daughter who is about to grace the family with #1 grandchild) - She spoiled me w/those daily e-notes and I miss her and I miss her notes:confused: the e-connect must be out of service, yes?

I'll try to keep it going also Marie.

I haven't heard from my "Indonesian son" who is a dining room steward aboard the Amsterdam and he is usually very good about e-mailing me often so I think they must be having a huge problem with the internet.

I hope they're all having a sensational cruise anyway. Too bad it's almost over for them, but I'm sure they must have some wonderful memories saved up already.

Valerie:)

rec'd an e-mail dated February 1 from the AMSTERDAM. Guess the e-connect is working afterall.... It was great to catch up on the news...sounds like plenty of fun and good activities. Also sounds as if the ship is need of fresh food supplies (..ran out of certain wines..)? So, for now, "all is well".:)

I am thinking of surprising my wife and kids with a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Amersterdam, some quick question; a) is the Amsterdam similar to other HAL ships? b) Does it have a Club HAl? c) how are the Hawaii ports, can you get a great feel for Hawaii or do you only get a small taste? Any recommendation on excursions for a family of 5? (cool beaches, neat volcano's?)

Thanks!

CruiseFamilyGuy, you might get a better response to your questions if you started a separate thread for them. (Or did you, and I just haven't spotted it yet?)

Anyway---

The Amsterdam is like the "other" HAL ships if, by "other" you mean the S- and R-class ships. Essentially the same lay-out. It is not the same as the Vista-class in that regard.

Yes, there's a Club HAL. I can't address what it's like as I don't do children.

You'll get a "taste" of Hawaii, but you won't fill up on it. Remember, it's five days at sea over, five days there, then five sea days back.

Archived