Carnival Mardi Gras

csj092809

Thinking of booking the Repo cruise end of September 2020. Anyone else booked on the Mardi Gras yet? I hear Emeril has a restaurant opening in the French Quarter section. And a live Jazz club is being added. Sounds great!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, csj092809 said:

Thinking of booking the Repo cruise end of September 2020. Anyone else booked on the Mardi Gras yet? I hear Emeril has a restaurant opening in the French Quarter section. And a live Jazz club is being added. Sounds great!

Here's a link to the roll call of the cruise you're contemplating booking.   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2629930-mardi-gras-repositioning-15-day-southern-caribbean-september-30-2020/

• Like 1

Thanks!  I looked for the ship in the drop down on  the carnival main forum page, but assumed it was not there since the ship is not finished lol. I will check out the roll call. Appreciate it!

Thanks! A lot of people in the roll call. With only $99 deposits right now..I am going to book it! That will make 2 cruises I have booked-one for this September and one for next September! First time I have had two booked at the same time 🙂

Edited by csj092809
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cparkerkite said:

I just booked the Mardi Gras for Spring Break 2021!  I can't wait!  I treated us to an Excel Suite!  This will be the last suite I do, so I figured I better do it up right! 🙂

Be sure to book a cabana when available. Xtra $$

I decided to go with an interior cabin. They have ones that have the same space as a balcony room without the balcony, so I chose one of those. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am saving my money for doing other things on the islands and maybe booking another cruise! The Excel suites are a hard no for me. As expensive as they are and then to pay extra for a private lounge...no thanks. Seems weird the cruise lines want to ostracize the majority of their passengers by turning it into the very situation they are trying to escape (people with money not having to mingle with us regular folks lol). I think these Excel suites may backfire on Carnival.  They have nothing to do with passenger loyalty and everything to do with people who have money to waste (in my opinion) segregating themselves from other cruisers. Go rent a private yacht if that is how you feel! Anyway, just my opinion.

• Like 3

Crewsweeper - will do.  Wonder how much it will run?  Also when it mentioned the bar, does that mean all drinks are included as well or is that an extra fee?  

I'm just excited about free laundry, room service and soda package. 🙂  Its the little things for this busy Mama. 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, csj092809 said:

As expensive as they are and then to pay extra for a private lounge...no thanks. Seems weird the cruise lines want to ostracize the majority of their passengers by turning it into the very situation they are trying to escape (people with money not having to mingle with us regular folks lol).

Anyone that is that uppity... I support locking them in their own lounge lol

12 minutes ago, csj092809 said:

I decided to go with an interior cabin. They have ones that have the same space as a balcony room without the balcony, so I chose one of those. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am saving my money for doing other things on the islands and maybe booking another cruise! The Excel suites are a hard no for me. As expensive as they are and then to pay extra for a private lounge...no thanks. Seems weird the cruise lines want to ostracize the majority of their passengers by turning it into the very situation they are trying to escape (people with money not having to mingle with us regular folks lol). I think these Excel suites may backfire on Carnival.  They have nothing to do with passenger loyalty and everything to do with people who have money to waste (in my opinion) segregating themselves from other cruisers. Go rent a private yacht if that is how you feel! Anyway, just my opinion.

I hear ya. I have many friends that prefer the interior cabins and spend money on other things!  To each their own. 🙂   I just really wanted a suite and loved some of the suite perks on a really cool ship.  I'll never get another one, so wanted to just do it!  My hubby and I never splurge on ourselves.  We always spend money on our daughter, so we decided to do something nice for ourselves. 🙂 We aren't drinkers, but like the non-alcoholic fruity drinks, so we save a ton by not having alcohol.  And by the way... we are pretty regular folks. 🙂

Edited by cparkerkite
Added words.
  • Like 2

I am sure you will have a blast! Suites are cool, I was just referring to the addition of the new "lounge" area. Are you going on the Repo Mardi Gras cruise? If so, maybe you can give us a suite tour! 🙂

Oof, defo some stiff opinions about the suites! Loft 19 access is included with Excel suites, but anyone can purchase access to it. Loft 19 cabanas would be the only other thing you’d have to pay for, but the loungers and deck chairs are all free game if you have access.

I don’t believe most people booking those rooms, or buying access to Loft 19, want to ostracize themselves from the cruise at large, rather they simply want a slice of paradise ON paradise when the time calls for it! If you have the means, why not? I know that was my MO when I booked my Excel suite 😉

Regardless, there are staterooms for all kinds of guests and no other cruise line can attract the same diversity as Carnival does with its pricing. I’ve been in nearly every type of Carnival stateroom from interior to the various balcony types and suites. Nothing wrong with going all out when it works our for you! Think of it as something for everyone, vs those people who should just go rent a private yacht.

• Like 4

On April 10, 2019 at 3:00 PM, csj092809 said:

Money to waste??? Isn't that what you're doing, to a lesser extent??

many people don't have money for a toy bath tub boat let alone a cruise. 

Please don't knock people that have the means. 

3 hours ago, Dylobs said:

Regardless, there are staterooms for all kinds of guests and no other cruise line can attract the same diversity as Carnival does with its pricing. I’ve been in nearly every type of Carnival stateroom from interior to the various balcony types and suites. Nothing wrong with going all out when it works our for you! Think of it as something for everyone, vs those people who should just go rent a private yacht.

You obviously are not familiar with MSC, who basically has a four tiered class system on their ships.  There is the MSC Yacht Club (First Class), Aurea (Second Class), Fantastica (Third Class) and Bella (Fourth Class)

4 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

You obviously are not familiar with MSC, who basically has a four tiered class system on their ships.  There is the MSC Yacht Club (First Class), Aurea (Second Class), Fantastica (Third Class) and Bella (Fourth Class)

On 4/10/2019 at 3:00 PM, csj092809 said:

Seems weird the cruise lines want to ostracize the majority of their passengers by turning it into the very situation they are trying to escape (people with money not having to mingle with us regular folks lol). I think these Excel suites may backfire on Carnival.  They have nothing to do with passenger loyalty and everything to do with people who have money to waste (in my opinion) segregating themselves from other cruisers. Go rent a private yacht if that is how you feel! Anyway, just my opinion.

The Excel Suites will not backfire on Carnival.  This type of situation is already in place in various degrees on other main stream cruise lines that you obviously are not familiar with.  The true ship within a ship concept has been around for years on NCL with the Haven and for the past few years on MSC with the Yacht Club.  They have a percentage of the ship to themselves, which they certainly pay dearly for (especially on NCL) and they of course then have the option to utilize the rest of the ship as they see fit.

Carnival dipped their toes into this concept with the Havana area on the Vista a few years ago, and because of it's popularity, it was expanded on the Horizon and the Panorama.  The Excel Suites just takes the Havana area concept up a notch and makes it similar to suite exclusive areas similar to what is on the newer builds by Royal and Celebrity.

20 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

And.... Your point being?

Does Carnival not attract cruisers from all backgrounds and tastes as I’ve stated? 😉

7 hours ago, Dylobs said:

Regardless, there are staterooms for all kinds of guests and no other cruise line can attract the same diversity as Carnival does with its pricing.

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

3 hours ago, Dylobs said:

And.... Your point being?

Does Carnival not attract cruisers from all backgrounds and tastes as I’ve stated? 😉

You stated that "No other cruise line can attract the same diversity as Carnival does with it's pricing."  Making a blanket statement like that just doesn't hold water.  When it comes to pricing and diversity, MSC has a true caste system on it's ships with what it offers.  Besides just the pricing, the tiers are related to your dining experience for dinner.  The Yacht Club has it's own restaurant, Aurea is like Anytime dining on Carnival, Fantastica is like set early/late on Carnival and Bella is set early/late and you're possibly relegated to a section of the buffet that is set up as early/late with waiter service.

6 hours ago, scapino said:

Money to waste??? Isn't that what you're doing, to a lesser extent??

many people don't have money for a toy bath tub boat let alone a cruise. 

Please don't knock people that have the means. 

Lol, the whole point of the post was deciding on whether or not to get a suite or not. I am not sure on how I am knocking people who "have the means"....am I knocking myself? I shared an opinion and we all do not have to agree. One thing we do agree on is cruising though! So let's focus on how much fun we will have and not argue over something that is pure opinion.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 4:00 PM, csj092809 said:

I just realized that I replied here to another thread I started about whether to book a suite for the 15 day Mardi Gras Repo cruise. LOL....oops....sorry everyone!

We have sailed NCL's Haven a few times and MSC Yacht club a few times.  Love this concept and it works for our family. My kids can enjoy the water slides and we can enjoy less crowds and quiet time.    

As far as creating a class system...I don't understand that at all.  Why is it okay to have 5 star hotels?  Why is it okay to VIP access or fast passes at theme parks?  Why is it okay to have 5* restaurants?  So why does a cruise line get criticized for having the ship within ship concept or suites with private access?  As far as taking away spaces from others....well the ship is bigger so are you really taking away or adding?  

I will say this...Carnival is marketing and trying to attract a crowd that might compare the suite experience to other lines.  If they are going to do this...then they should take note and do it right.  Go all the way carnival...suite restaurant should be included for the price.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

You stated that "No other cruise line can attract the same diversity as Carnival does with it's pricing."  Making a blanket statement like that just doesn't hold water.  When it comes to pricing and diversity, MSC has a true caste system on it's ships with what it offers.  Besides just the pricing, the tiers are related to your dining experience for dinner.  The Yacht Club has it's own restaurant, Aurea is like Anytime dining on Carnival, Fantastica is like set early/late on Carnival and Bella is set early/late and you're possibly relegated to a section of the buffet that is set up as early/late with waiter service.

Yeah, and that quote that you took out was also mentioned with the statement that people booking suites on Carnival are not likely wanting to ostracize themselves from the rest of the cruise.

Not quite the case with MSC I’d say...

4 hours ago, Dylobs said:

Yeah, and that quote that you took out was also mentioned with the statement that people booking suites on Carnival are not likely wanting to ostracize themselves from the rest of the cruise.

Not quite the case with MSC I’d say...

The people that have the means to purchase the Excel suites on Carnival and relax in the new deck 19 area are looking to get away from the maddening crowd on the Lido deck, similar to when adults wish to go to Serenity to avoid unruly rug rats that are cruising with parents who decide to take a vacation from parenting.  It's also why the Havana area became so popular on the Vista Class ships.

So I will respectfully disagree with you when you say that  those suite purchasers on Carnival don't want to ostracize themselves from the rest of the cruise goers.  They want to relax in an exclusive area, and be far from the maddening crowd on Lido for a portion of their cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The people that have the means to purchase the Excel suites on Carnival and relax in the new deck 19 area are looking to get away from the maddening crowd on the Lido deck, similar to when adults wish to go to Serenity to avoid unruly rug rats that are cruising with parents who decide to take a vacation from parenting.  It's also why the Havana area became so popular on the Vista Class ships.

So I will respectfully disagree with you when you say that  those suite purchasers on Carnival don't want to ostracize themselves from the rest of the cruise goers.  They want to relax in an exclusive area, and be far from the maddening crowd on Lido for a portion of their cruise.

So if I’m one of those suite people and I’m telling you that I’m not wanting to ostracize myself from the rest of the cruise, what does that mean to you? Haha.

Carnival is a cruise line that brings a lot of life and energy to the social aspects of cruising, and I think a lot of people cruise on Carnival as a result of that. So, I will also respectfully disagree with your opinion that all of those guests are looking to separate themselves from the rest of the cruisers.

To each their own.