Train from Cannes to Nice

caral2004

Hi,

my husband and I will be in Cannes with our cruise. We don't want to do an excursion. We are thinking to walk around in Cannes. Should we also go in Nice ? Spend half of day in Nice then the other half of day in Cannes? How much time is the ride in train between the 2 cities?

Thanks for your help!

You would normally use the regional (TER) trains which take approximately 40 min (one way).  There are usually about 2 trains per hour but the frequency can vary depending on the time of day.   If you do decide to split your time between Cannes and Nice we would suggest going to Nice early in the morning (go to your furthest place first).  These are essentially commuter trains and there are no reservations.  In Nice we would suggest heading over to the Flower Market (located on the water side of the old town).  It is a bit of a hike from the train station so if you do not like long walks you could use a local bus or even a taxi.

As to your question about whether you should even go to Nice, this is simply a personal preference.   There is no right or wrong.  You might also consider that Antibes is located along the same train line as is Monte Carlo :).

Hank

• Like 1

This is our group's plan also.  We planned to go to Nice first and then back track back to Cannes.  Can we buy a day pass for the train or what would be the best option for us?  We may get off at another stop on the way back to Cannes depending on how much time we spend in Nice. 

On 4/7/2019 at 4:12 PM, T.O.cruisers said:

I think the train is about 40 minutes.

We were anchored in Cannes Bay, way back in Sept. 2008

and I remember the train running quite frequently

-back and forth to Nice, we were told. Seemed like about every half-hour

but your 40 mins is not that far off.

Busy boat traffic -it was Sunday.

Cannes-474.jpg

Cannes-480.jpg

Cannes-482.jpg

Cannes-498.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, TxStacey said:
  • 7 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

I usually start with the trainline.com web site to look at train schedules throughout  Europe.

https://www.thetrainline.com/

No reason to get hung up with schedules and trying to get to that station at a specific time.  There are plenty of trains running along the line (at least 2 per hour and generally more).  No need to mess around with the slightly faster trains (which cost more and often require reservations) as there are plenty of regional TER trains.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, just get yourself to the train station, buy your ticket (in the vending machine or at the ticket window), validate the ticket, and jump on the next train.  No pressure to be at the station at a specific time...and if you miss the train another will be along soon (often within 20 min).

Ironically, we had once posted similar info and then happened to be in Cannes a few weeks later.  DW and I walked from the tender pier to the train station...debating if we wanted to go to Nice or Antibes.  When we finally reached the station there were paper notices that the line was having a one day strike!  No trains!  Not a big deal as we simply did some other things.  The Station Master told us it was only the 2nd strike they had in the past year!  Just our luck.  Yes, strikes do happen, they are usually announced well in advance, and it is just part of the culture.   If we had known in advance we might have rented a car (we often do this in Cannes).

Hank

OP was debating on a half day in Nice as well as Cannes and wondered how long it took to ride the train between the 2 cities.   The trainline is a good resource for this .... it's an easy way to see how the trains run and how much time it takes.  

• 2 months later...