Laundry on the Dawn

katzz35

What’s the laundry situation like? I’m assuming it’s send away. Does anyone know the cost?

i don’t want to overpack, but I’m always worried that something will get too dirty to wear and the I’m stuck with dirty clothes. 

You can send out and pay by the piece (next day service or same day service (50% premium charge)

Or, on a 7-day cruise, you will have a "fill a bag" day for $19.95. It is on Day 4, 2-day service, returning on the night of Day 6. 

image.thumb.png.0848c6758ded6b3d573f975273ed049e.png

image.thumb.png.75bbd1e380173e27cec6ee8fc6c791cc.png

• Like 1

Agree with the <1 day turnaround - every boat, every time. 

Remember that if you are Platinum you get a free bag of laundry. I have to tell you - at $19.95, its a bargain.

Being able to pack light, and especially "free-style", is fantastic. For a 12 night cruise (after our 1st cruise where we made noobie mistakes), we each have 1 backpack and 2 small suitcases for the 3 of us. We could probably even go to 1 medium suitcase, but it's difficult to manipulate and 2 small bags are actually easier - that's the beauty of mid-cruise laundry services!

Amy

1 hour ago, amygutman said:

Agree with the <1 day turnaround - every boat, every time. 

Remember that if you are Platinum you get a free bag of laundry. I have to tell you - at $19.95, its a bargain.

Being able to pack light, and especially "free-style", is fantastic. For a 12 night cruise (after our 1st cruise where we made noobie mistakes), we each have 1 backpack and 2 small suitcases for the 3 of us. We could probably even go to 1 medium suitcase, but it's difficult to manipulate and 2 small bags are actually easier - that's the beauty of mid-cruise laundry services!

Amy

That really does make sense. But I’m only on a 5 day. In my head I know I’ll mostly be ina swim suit and cover up and nicer clothes just for dinner. But the other side thinks what if you want to wear these shorts. and they get dirty. Of course you need all these shirts Incase they get dirty.  So I’m wondering if saving luggage space is worth a load of laundry on like day 3

After a few cruises you will know how to game the system.

Underwear and sox you can do in cabin laundry - in the cabin bathroom sink - wash - rinse (maybe twice)

and set out to dry on the retractable cord in the shower/bath stall. Take a small quantity of laundry detergent

powder or liquid to do the washing - a thimble full does one heck of a load.

For other items you could use the Laundry service for a few items or on the longer cruises use the Bag Deal

as previously mentioned.

Usual routine in by 9 am give to cabin attendant and back next day about 4 pm.

Day -4- in by 9 am back on Day -5- 4 pm - wear clean clothes on days 6 and 7.

There is Express Same Day Service for additional cost.

ZOOM in on that Laundry Service invoice provided by BirdTravels for pricing and more information.

So you are thinking maybe you can do laundry at one of the port calls - nice try - why waste your time

doing laundry needing foreign coin and maybe miles away from the ship while interrupting your vacation

you have better things to do.

Limit your laundry to essential items mixing and matching getting more than one days wear out of a garment.

Use care around salt water - some clothing items do not fare well when left soaked in salt water for any

period of time - rinse while in a shower and hang out to dry.

Need an iron and ironing board - ask your cabin attendant !

Do not hang clothing out to dry on balconies unless secured - the fish don't need your flotsam clothing

and pollution of the waters is not user friendly !

So now that you know clean up your act and sail away sail away.

That $19.95 bag deal - the old way was a paper bag not worth cramming much into it -

hopefully NCL will have converted all the bags over to the nylon pillow case size bag that holds a lot.

Don't be too hasty to wear your newly washed duds - check the collars and waist bands for those evil

scratchy ironed on ID tags that NCL puts on your clothing to prevent loss !

OUCH ! did I say SCRATCHY !  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was doing the Behind The Scenes tour once, and when we hit the laundry room there on display were my shirts bagged on hangers and ready to go. I asked the laundry room manager if I could just take 'em now. He laughed and nicely said no. 🙂

Freestyle = minimal laundry needs. For a 5 day cruise, if you are doing laundry it's because you spilled your margarita on your white shirt while trying to chug a frozen drink without a (banned) straw. 

Tide packets....pack a few and use your sink for emergencies. Otherwise, you should be golden and no need for laundry services. Even better...if you are short a tee shirt and shorts, they actually have a nice selection on most of the boats, even the Jewel class - but only if you are "traditionally" sized - anything >1XL is not going to routinely be found on the ships. 

Amy

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We're on vacation and don't want to spend time rinsing undies in the sink. We send it out and get it back from the laundry folded and in a basket. Also minimizes the laundry when we get home.... still on vacation. 🙂 

I wish "send out laundry, return in a day" was an option is real-life...Agree with BirdTravels that washing out undies is NOT how we like to spend vacations (more time on beach anyday!). Amy