Evening room service

crompton21

I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread to add it to.  Sorry.

We did not receive room service on the first night of our 7 day P & O cruise B907.  Our cabin steward made a point of telling us that these were the new rules.  So, first night no service...not great in my opinion, were we robbed?  

31 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread to add it to.  Sorry.

We did not receive room service on the first night of our 7 day P & O cruise B907.  Our cabin steward made a point of telling us that these were the new rules.  So, first night no service...not great in my opinion, were we robbed?  

Certainly it was available on Ventura on our recent back to back. I understand it is sometimes missed on first night fly cruises.

It has been mentioned before but was always proved false.

You are talking about the turn down service. It can never be removed completely as this is when 3rd beds are made up in certain cabins.

Edited by daiB

There was no turn down service on the first night on Brittania last week either (from Soton). The steward advised us of that fact in the afternoon and checked if we needed anything.

Personally I did not have a problem with it, it’s a long day for staff on a turnover.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crompton21 said:

Part of me thinks that this is sad as it was always special on the first night to get back and see the turn down service and lights dim etc.

The other part of me thinks that the beds haven't bene used and probably most people not the towels re he shower.

I suppose the staff work very long hours and I would like to think that this is trying to give them a breather.

Can't see any reason why it has been introduced

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Certainly it was available on Ventura on our recent back to back. I understand it is sometimes missed on first night fly cruises.

It has been mentioned before but was always proved false.

You are talking about the turn down service. It can never be removed completely as this is when 3rd beds are made up in certain cabins.

I started a thread after a 2 night cruise in a suite on Oceana.

Cabin steward insisted there was no evening service and later when I rang P&O customer service they confirmed they were trialling this.

It was not false information by me but I was lied to by the CS as others since have reported no change or no turn down on first night only.

We will be on our 50th cruise next month and that was the first time evening service was not available to us.

We always keep our cabin extremely tidy and often tell our cabin steward to just leave clean towels and take the dirty ones away.

Edited by grapau27

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Confused what is “evening service”

Beds turned down, chocolates on pillow, towels replaced if used, curtains closed, lights dimmed, coffee / tea / water glasses washed, Horizon for the next day laid out etc. Oh and toilet roll put into a nice sharp point😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

Confused what is “evening service”

Making the bed and leaving a P&O chocolate,leaving clean towels and changing used cups and saucers plus leaving the ships newsletter for the next days activities etc.

Right get you. Thanks for explaining it. 

Ive not been on cruise since 2012 and we definitely had this then. 

So is there none of this on the first night now or is it every night?

we have kids sleeping in bunks. 

We go in 4 weeks. 

Will these be put down every night? 

Beds turned down (not really bothered)

, chocolates on pillow, (definitely not bothered)

towels replaced if used (need this)

, curtains closed, (nope)

lights dimmed (nope)

, coffee / tea / water glasses washed, (this is good to have)

Horizon for the next day laid out etc. (Yes probably need this) 

Oh and toilet roll put into a nice sharp point😀 (don’t need the sharp point but will need the paper)

8 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

We go in 4 weeks. 

lights dimmed (nope)

Oh and toilet roll put into a nice sharp point😀 (don’t need the sharp point but will need the paper)

Some have reported no service on first night but this seems to be ship or cabin steward specific.

Every other night there will be the aforementioned cabin service.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Some have reported no service on first night but this seems to be ship or cabin steward specific.

Every other night there will be the aforementioned cabin service.

Every other night means  they miss a night, do it, then miss a night etc.......that sounds very odd never had that before!

7 minutes ago, Pentlands said:

Every other night means  they miss a night, do it, then miss a night etc.......that sounds very odd never had that before!

To clarify:-

Every night except the first night.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

To clarify:-

Every night except the first night.

On every cruise i have been on it has been every night and we do cruise rather a lot.

3 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

We go in 4 weeks. 

lights dimmed (nope)

To make it perfectly clear you get all of the above evrry night.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, daiB said:

On every cruise i have been on it has been every night and we do cruise rather a lot.

Bar the 2 night Oceana cruise I started a thread about turn down has always been every night for us too and our next cruise will be our 50th cruise.

7 hours ago, daiB said:

Dai, most definitely not available last week on the first night, at least in my cabin grade. As you generally travel in a suite perhaps you are not experiencing the same changes the rest of us are in the standard cabins?

On the vast majority of my previous cruises it has always been every night. As I said above it in not a big deal to me either way.

Dai, most definitely not available last week on the first night, at least in my cabin grade. As you generally travel in a suite perhaps you are not experiencing the same changes the rest of us are in the standard cabins?

On the vast majority of my previous cruises it has always been every night. As I said above it in not a big deal to me either way.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear in my original post, but it does appear that you have grasped what I was trying to discuss!
We were in a suite, didn’t get the first nights bed turndown etc. Cabin steward made a point of telling us that it was not going to happen. There were two chocolates on the bed when we entered, so not everything is lost!

19 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

Sorry if I wasn’t clear in my original post, but it does appear that you have grasped what I was trying to discuss!
We were in a suite, didn’t get the first nights bed turndown etc. Cabin steward made a point of telling us that it was not going to happen. There were two chocolates on the bed when we entered, so not everything is lost!

So that is two of us on the same ship in different cabin grades being told the same thing by two different cabin stewards then - no turn down on day 1.

Well, glad this thread has been clarified after all the confusion 😁.  I must say that I'm really not bothered about getting the evening cabin service on the first night.  The cabin attendants have a very early start and then have to help with luggage delivery, so a pretty tough day for them.  Glad to hear we are still getting our pillow chocolate 😉😏.  Of course, there will be a decent stock of the 'new & improved' biscuits (i.e. glorified rich tea!). 

34 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Well, glad this thread has been clarified after all the confusion 😁.  I must say that I'm really not bothered about getting the evening cabin service on the first night.  The cabin attendants have a very early start and then have to help with luggage delivery, so a pretty tough day for them.  Glad to hear we are still getting our pillow chocolate 😉😏.  Of course, there will be a decent stock of the 'new & improved' biscuits (i.e. glorified rich tea!). 

The biscuits were a real disappointment. My husband and I tried one bite out of one packet and then no more, they were like sawdust. I liked the ginger ones which were good in rough weather.