MTD - Starts at 6:30? Say it ain't so!

I checked the cruise planner today for our cruise in 2020. To my surprise, I noticed that MTD dining reservations were open. The only problem was that the times offered each day started at 6:30. I thought it was normally around 5:30. If no seating is done before then, I would imagine it would be a mob scene without a reservation. What are the chances this is an error? Is it possible they open earlier for walk ups but don't take bookings until 6:30?

That showed on one of my cruises and I assumed the earlier times were fully booked.  I have kids so the earlier the better but we won't be eating till at least 6:30 each night.  By the way this is for a December 2019 cruise and the early spots were gone right away.

Royal has a dining venue called My Time Family Dining. They promise to have the kids fed and off to Adventure Ocean in 45 minutes. So the adults can enjoy the dining experience. This may be why there are no earlier spots.

2 hours ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

Sounds like its just a case of all the earlier reservations are just booked, but you can still show up when My Time Dining starts which is typically 5:30. 

I will be doing that but I can't believe  that they are fully booked for every day on the first day open for a cruise 10 months away. 

7 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

I will be doing that but I can't believe  that they are fully booked for every day on the first day open for a cruise 10 months away. 

I agree, it is hard to believe that all of the early times have been booked this far out. I wonder if they only have a certain amount of the available early times to book, and the rest of the early times are for the people that just show up? The website seems to direct people to "book your MTD reservation time" and I think that is what alot of people go ahead and do, so maybe that would explain why the early "bookable" times are gone. 

10 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

I checked the cruise planner today for our cruise in 2020. To my surprise, I noticed that MTD dining reservations were open. The only problem was that the times offered each day started at 6:30. I thought it was normally around 5:30. If no seating is done before then, I would imagine it would be a mob scene without a reservation. What are the chances this is an error? Is it possible they open earlier for walk ups but don't take bookings until 6:30?

On Oasis we never made a reservation, we just showed up, never waited more than a couple minutes for a table.

11 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

When you first board the ship go directly to the MDR and speak with the host at the podium and ask if the time you want for MTD is available. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, Marbel69 said:

I'm new to cruising, I have a cruise scheduled in Nov. on Symphony.  How does this work online - as far as reserving dining time options.  I have purchased the 3 night dining package.

You cannot make reservations for dining packages pre-cruise.  Must be done onboard.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kag19 said:

When do items start showing up in the Cruise Planner?  Nothing except shore excursions for Cococay is showing up in the Cruise Planner for our February 2020 cruise.

No set time, keep checking.

As others have already said, ships usually start offering MTD reservations starting at 5:15.  They seem to release only a certain number of spots for those early times early on.  Keep trying and visit the dining room immediately when you board and you will likely be accommodated.  The dining room usually is very empty early between 5:15 and 6 pm, when we always go to eat in the MDR.  Should not have an issue just arriving without a reservation when they first open and wait for a table.  Line moves very quickly at that time.