Electric Outlets by the bed on the Gem

mbottoms66

Are there outlets by the bed in an inside cabin?  My wife uses a CPAP and I use a mobility scooter, just wodering about outlets.  I have been told by Customer Service that there are but they can't always be trusted.  I was also told I can bring extension cords on board.  True?  I just don't want to make a fall hazard.  Any info will be appreciated!

17 minutes ago, mbottoms66 said:

Are there outlets by the bed in an inside cabin?  ... also told I can bring extension cords on board.  True?  I just don't want to make a fall hazard. 

Sorry about incorrect info about outlet availability, there is NONE.   There is a 110 volt outlet by the desk and another 220 volt outlet on the opposite long wall by the refrigerator.  Some of the cabins (not all) had been updated (from our 2018 Gem cruise, also on a cabin crawl & saw various categories) with bedside USB charging port but they aren't of any use.  

Yes, you can bring a (long, 12' or 15') long extension cord, just not one with a power strip with surge protection due to maritime fire safety hazards.  Route that along the wall under the bed to minimize tripping hazards. 

29 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Sorry about incorrect info about outlet availability, there is NONE.   There is a 110 volt outlet by the desk and another 220 volt outlet on the opposite long wall by the refrigerator.  Some of the cabins (not all) had been updated (from our 2018 Gem cruise, also on a cabin crawl & saw various categories) with bedside USB charging port but they aren't of any use.  

Yes, you can bring a (long, 12' or 15') long extension cord, just not one with a power strip with surge protection due to maritime fire safety hazards.  Route that along the wall under the bed to minimize tripping hazards. 

So ther is ONE outlet in the cabin area?  Wow.  I have seen so many inside cabin floor plans so I don't have a clue how ours will be set up.  Do you know if you can use adapters that turn one outlet into two or three?  (no surge protection).  Are they grounded plugs (three pin)?

Edited by mbottoms66

1 hour ago, mbottoms66 said:

So ther is ONE outlet in the cabin area?  Wow.  I have seen so many inside cabin floor plans so I don't have a clue how ours will be set up. 

I don't recall seeing an Accessible Inside cabin on the Gem but we've seen the Accessible (obstructed) Oceanview last year - pretty similar with more room.  They all were designed with two (2) outlets, one for 110 volts and one for 220 volts ... they look liked the ones in the pictures below (ignore the upper left one, as that's for the BA/Escape)  

Second pix of that of an Oceanview and setup is typical (beds can be split apart, along the long walls - one outlet is by that table, second outlet is on the opposite wall. 

You should get in touch with NCL Special Needs - if not already - about your mobility scooter, as it needs to be stored & recharged overnight.  

Collage 2017-06-12 18_42_39.jpg

IMG_20170429_220717.jpg

18 minutes ago, mbottoms66 said:

If I want to use the international plug, do I need a converter or adapter?

If you want to plug in something with a North American plug, it would require at least an adapter. Most chargers are dual-voltage (110/220) and would require no converter, but check this before you plug anything in.

20 hours ago, Wasasalad said:

I’m on the Gem now on the two week Carribean!

Solo socials every evening at 5:30. Dinner at 6:00 followed by the show. 

Mostly 55-80 age group. A couple younger onescame once. They did really stick together for tours etc. I pre booked all my own!

Many solos did not get off the ship at all! Not me!

I only attended a couple socials and dinners. I’m very used to solo cruising and do my own thing! I like to see sunset better than dinners!

I will be on the May 3rd Bermuda than I’m back to Holland America, also great for solos!

Bring inhalers ifyou need them! Many people have a sudden severe pneumonia! They are walking around with IV’s in! Probably viral but severe sudden respiratory distress. 

It has been a good cruise but just too crowded for me! I’m at the spa everyday and really enjoy it!

Many not aware that “free” amenities come with a cost! I always do sail away rate so no problem for me!

Internet slow and expensive but functional. 

I’m sure that you will have a great cruise!

19 hours ago, kochleffel said:

If you want to plug in something with a North American plug, it would require at least an adapter. Most chargers are dual-voltage (110/220) and would require no converter, but check this before you plug anything in.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:45 PM, mking8288 said:

I am in an aft facing cabin where the door is on the side, the beds are at a 45 degree angle from the door, bathroom, closets...

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mbottoms66 said:

Okay, I bought a q

15 foot 16 guage/13amp extension cord and an adapter, should I pack it in my carry on or checked luggage?

That depends on how soon you will need it after boarding. Your checked luggage may not show up for hours.

@mbottoms66 - port security should NOT give you a hard time, I travel with a lot more gadgets, cables, extensions & digital items ... and I consider all those "essentials" & always within sights, never checked (do - sometimes - have a spare short extension in one of our rollerboards).  

Just keep & pack those with the CPAP and especially when you are using a scooter (renting ?) - you are going to be fine.  For peace of mind, alert NCL Special Needs, just in case (probably unnecessary ... not using distilled water ??)  If there is a problem with someone taking away the extension cord, ask for a receipt & where it is being taken to; and, once on the ship - go to Guest Services and get them heads spinning (and, they usually have spare extensions available & do run out, if.)  

20 hours ago, mbottoms66 said:

Okay, I bought a q

15 foot 16 guage/13amp extension cord and an adapter, should I pack it in my carry on or checked luggage?

That CPAP machine and extension cord should be packed together and unless you are planning to go to bed

right away upon boarding just simply have it with your checked luggage that NCL will deliver to your cabin door

around a few hours after you board. Having your checked luggage delivered in time to change clothes for going

to dinner is not the usual fare therefore the relaxed dress code the first night of the cruise.

NCL has some (rules) guidelines for the number of checked pieces and weight but the CPAP is exempt and as

for the other checked pieces not really and never has been a problem -BUT- please leave the kitchen sink at home !

Hopefully you will meet your cabin attendant timely *** and will be able to have him help set up the CPAP machine

during the turn down service.

*** if the bed needs to be split to make it easier to set up the CPAP for use discuss this at that time. 

Edited by don't-use-real-name

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 7:24 AM, mbottoms66 said:

Thank you for all the info everyone!

I am in the middle of a sleep study right now and probably will need a cpap..how hard are they to pack and take on trips? Do all of them require distilled water? Does it take up lots of room? Thanks..just freaking out about dragging one more thing

2 hours ago, 300dtc said:

I am in the middle of a sleep study right now and probably will need a cpap..how hard are they to pack and take on trips? Do all of them require distilled water? Does it take up lots of room? Thanks..just freaking out about dragging one more thing

You want to look at the specs of your CPAP. All are very different. I have a ResMed S9 that operates both without a Humidifier or with the optional H5i Heated Humidifier.  I do not take the H5i with me on trips and the S9 works flawlessly alone.   I also never check my CPAP device because it is a medical device and I have received luggage ripped up, opened, broken, etc...... it's always with my carry on. You can get nice carry cases that include room for your hose, masks, extension cords etc...... as a side note: TSA recognizes a CPAP device as a medical device and it does NOT count against your carry on quota when flying.