What do you get included?

Burgmeister

Hi

Never been on Carnival before but have cruised with RCCL, NCL and Princess in the past. Am thinking of getting a short Carnival cruise out of Florida next February and just wondered what Carnival include in their basic fare and what you need to pay extra for?

Obviously you need to add on tips and alcoholic drinks but does your fare include any soft drinks (tea, coffee, juice, water etc)? Do they do drinks packages and are they worth doing as a moderate drinker? 

Do they include room service without a fee? Are there plenty of included food options?

Is there anything else they charge extra for? I appreciate that Carnival fares are very competitive and so, I imagine, they "nickel and dime" at every opportunity. I don't necessarily have a problem with this as long as I know what to expect.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Main dining room, Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana, Lido Buffet, Guy's Pig & Anchor BBQ for lunch, Italian restaurant for lunch- these dining options are all free (not all of these are available on all Carnival ships)

Steakhouse, Italian restaurant for dinner, Asian Bistro, Sushi, Specialty coffee shop, Guy's Pig & Anchor BBQ for dinner- these dining options are all additional charge- again, not all are available on all ships

Cheers- alcohol package is $52 per person, per day- everyone over 21 in cabin must purchase, no exceptions- 15 alcoholic drink per day max. unlimited non-alcoholic (soda, milkshakes, bottled water, specialty coffee etc).

Non-alcoholic- iced tea and lemonade, coffee, tea & hot chocolate are free on Lido deck, juices for breakfast are also free.

Room service during the day- most items are free, a few have a small charge. After 10 PM all items come with a  charge.

As for nickel and diming, I find that I know what I have to pay for and what I don't- Bingo, drinks, specialty restaurants are all extra... so is the arcade and their sweets shop (called Cherry on Top)… but there are tons of things to do that are free.

Edited by Shaded Lady
  • Like 1

They don't nickel and dime much actually. Included food options are the same as most other major lines. Room service is free except for certain items and late at night. Drip coffee, tea, juice and water is included. 

• Like 1

Thanks, that's very useful to know. It doesn't seem like they nickel and dime any more than any other line we have been on.

$52 a day for Cheers doesn't seem too bad but we probably wouldn't get value out of it as neither myself nor my wife drink much (maybe a couple a day whilst on board). Do they do a soft drink package? 

Do they allow you to take any wine on board like RCCL and Princess do? Not a problem if they don't, just curious as to their policies. We don't seem much of Carnival cruises in the UK so I'm really not familiar with them

5 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

Do they do a soft drink package? 

Do they allow you to take any wine on board like RCCL and Princess do?

Bottomless Bubbles is what they call the soda package.

And yes they do allow wine to be carried on board:

At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burgmeister said:

Do they allow you to take any wine on board like RCCL and Princess do? Not a problem if they don't, just curious as to their policies. We don't seem much of Carnival cruises in the UK so I'm really not familiar with them

They also have a wine package. 7 day cruise  5 bottles priced as

Basic 131$

Premium: 191$

I believe these prices include a 18% gratuity. I know there is a three bottle package for 5 days or less but I don't know prices. Also you are allowed a package per person over 21 in stateroom.

Cruise the Vineyards' can be purchased on board our ships (ask your dining room waiter) or by calling The Fun Shops department at 800-522-7648, 8:00am-10:00pm ET. Cruise the Vineyards is not offered online.

• Packages feature wines from Italy, New Zealand, France, Australia, Germany, California, Washington and Oregon. 
  • You may drink the wine in your stateroom or dining room only.
  • Unconsumed wine will not be refunded but you may take home unopened bottles.

Basic
Sparkling, Barefoot, Brut, California
Pinot Grigio, Zonin, Italy
Sauvignon Blanc, Santa Helena, Chile
Chardonnay, Santa Helena, Chile
Riesling, Funf 5, Germany
White Zinfandel, Barefoot, California
Rose ‘GIFFT’ by Kathy Lee Gifford, California
Merlot, Santa Helena, Chile
Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Helena, Chile

Premium
Sparkling, Domaine Chandon, ‘Brut’, California
Sparkling Rose, Domaine Ste. Michelle, Washington
Pinot Grigio, Ecco Domani, Della Venezie, Italy
Pinot Grigio, J, California
Sauvignon Blanc, Kendall Jackson ‘Vintner’s Reserve’, California
Sauvignon Blanc, Spy Valley, New Zealand
Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon, Cape Mentelle, Australia
Chardonnay, Le Crema, Monterey
Chardonnay, Kendall Jackson ‘Vintner’s Reserve’, California
Moscato, Castello del Poggio, Italy
Riesling, Lucien Albrecht, France
Rosé, Domaine Sainte Croix, France
Pinot Noir, Layer Cake, California
Zinfandel, Cline, California
Merlot, Columbia Crest, ‘Great Estates’, Columbia Valley
Merlot, Kendall Jackson ‘Vintner’s Reserve’, California
Cabernet Sauvignon, Layer Cake, California
Cabernet Sauvignon, Hess Select, California
Shiraz, Peter Lehmann, ‘Portrait’, Australia
Shiraz, Grant Burge ‘5th Generation’, Australia
Côtes du Rhône, Maison Castel, France
Rioja, Martin Codax ‘Ergo’, Spain
Chianti, D’Aquino, Classico Riserva, Italy
Malbec, Terrazas Reserva, Mendoza, Argentina

• Like 1

Per the cruise contract:

(b) “Cruise Fare” or “Fare” means the amount paid for the cruise which includes full board, ordinary ship’s food during the voyage, but not gratuities, spirits, wine, beer, soft drinks or mineral waters, shore excursions, salon and spa services, room service or dining in specialty restaurants, Carnival LIVE concerts, or any other incidental charge or expense.

Ordinary ships food = generally the Main Dining Room(s), Buffet, Deli, Blue Iguana, Guys, Pasta Bella, Pizza Pirate, Good Eats, Comfort Kitchen, Off the Grill, Burrito Bar, Red Frog, 

Others have mentioned the beverage packages

You mentioned gratuities

Room service = free menu from 0600-2200

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Garth2 said:

Carnival also has a website which will tell you everything you need to know.

i was thinking the same thing.  over half of the posts on this boards are questions that have been asked and answered hundreds of times, but people are just to lazy to use the Search Function.