Solo/Singles Meetups

saturn93

I was just thinking about this...

I am going on a 16 day Hawaiian cruise this weekend on the Eurodam.  I have never been to a solo/singles meetup before, and I was thinking about trying this out (depending on time, of course).  I am almost at the mid-40's (44 to be exact), going w/parents (only around them 1/4 of the time, usually for dinner, ports, the occasional show).  If anyone has done this, how long does this last, what usually happens during the time frame, and would I feel like a sore thumb being somewhat "younger" than the average age?  

• Like 1

It usually starts out as a 45 minute to 60 minute meeting at 7:30 that never works for me because I eat the late fixed seating. You get a free drink. You may fit in more than you think. It may build, it may not-it depends how active the staff member is assigned to it. There are usually way more women than men. You can take a proactive approach and suggest meeting for lunch in the MDR and arrange it with the dining room manager. There are many sea days, so that could be fun. I know there are a number of solos on that cruise including me from the roll call. Age never seems to matter much anyway-you will fit in just fine! 

First of all, check out the solo cruising board here on Cruise Critic some good ideas on solo cruising from lots of experienced solo cruisers.. 

Unlike other lines, HAL doesn't really have any standard programs for solos. Some crew member will be tasked with managing activities for solos (along with their other responsibilities) so you are at their whim for any solo oriented activities they offer.

I was solo on the Eurodam in 2017 and had a great time, but the only planned solo event was a sea day lunch. As it turned out, there were 2 8 top tables set aside in the MDR at noon. Once those sixteen seats were filled, that's it. My table was mostly pairs (older singles travelling together) and there was one older, loud gentleman that dominated the conversations. Not what I was expecting. The other table had a more diverse group, real solos, and I wished I had sat there. Oh well. I asked if the solo lunch would be repeated, but it wasn't. I have heard of happy hour meet ups and the like on other cruises but none were offered here (I even went back and double checked my When and Where's to see if I missed anything, and I hadn't). But none of this detracted in any way from having  a great cruise. And age is never an issue.

With a few more sea days on your upcoming cruise, they may have more planned solo activities. Regardless, have a great time!

Edited by kennystwin

I was on a 22 day cruise with lots of sea days and it didn't seem to increase the solo meetups. It entirely depends on how active the crew member is in charge of these. If enough of us show up at the first event and push, that can help. Regardless, you will meet people throughout the cruise and have a great time. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry that it has been a while, but I want to say thank you for helping me be comfortable in trying the Single/Solo meetup on the Eurodam last month.  Met a lot of great people there, especially the first night in the Gallery Bar (had the list in my pocket almost everywhere I was on the ship).  It was a little more sparse to almost none as time went on.  I made some of the events (meetups/tea), but they should have had the meeting at the Ocean Bar not be around the same time as the Captain's Toast.   I would be willing to do it again next time, but wanted to try it on a 16 day first before two 7 days.  

Once again, thank you.

Edited by saturn93
  • Like 1

I just

returned from my first cruises sailing solo, alone in cabin and no 'travel companions'. If there were planned 'solo activities' I never heard of nor read about any, not  that I specificallly looked  for nor had any interest in such.  I did read the  when and where each day and imagine a solo get  together  mention would have caught my eye.image.png.b83de6fc35084b023633ecca2d2c6825.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

On my Alaska cruise last year, there was a solo/singles lunch on first sea day.  Met a great group and we formed a trivia team.  Had fun meeting them at trivia and several other times.  My first time as a single on HAL.  

Also sailed on NCL, but on a ship that had a fairly large number of single cabins.  Asst cruise director on that cruise arranged a special table in MDR each night for us.  Lots of fun.

I am hoping that there is a singles lunch on my upcoming 11 day cruise for Canada/New England in October.  

As a widow of just over 2 years, I enjoy meeting others in a similar position.  It is nice to have someone “recognize” you on the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

I just returned from my first cruises sailing solo, alone in cabin and no 'travel companions'. If there were planned 'solo activities' I never heard of nor read about any, not  that I specificallly looked  for nor had any interest in such.  I did read the  when and where each day and imagine a solo get  together  mention would have caught my eye.

Welcome home!  I hope you enjoyed your cruise.  

Thankyou,

I saw., met some wonderful people on my cruises and they made it so pleasant  for me,,,,  So much better than I dared hope.  It took me a while  to make the bookings but I now am happy I did.

image.png.109712a37df33ebb9129111f47a8be95.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• Like 4

Just a suggestion for the OP - if you haven’t joined your roll call, do so, participate and go to the Meet and Greet.  I am sure you will meet some great people whose company you can enjoy.

Our single cruisers have always been welcome on our roll calls and our tours 🙂 

Just now, sail7seas said:

No roll calls for my cruises.  🙂

by "happy accident", I met a wonderful cc'er and her DH.  I enjoyed them  very much and they always were cordial and delightful to chat and laugh with me when we ran into each other  here or there

image.png.b1d4e4483f5e37ad21fe058b57eb6697.png

sail.noordam@g mail.com

Just now, sail7seas said: