Allure azipod issues

2 hours ago, schmeed said:

First cruise out of FLL is May 5th.  (oops, corrected)

I am on the 4/28 cruise and we are disembarking at Miami on May 5.
Does this mean that the Allure will make a quick dry run to FLL after disembarking us at Miami?

Edited by Arzeena

4 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I am on the 4/28 cruise and we are disembarking at Miami on May 5.
Does this mean that the Allure will make a quick dry run to FLL after disembarking us at Miami?

Yes, a non-revenue reposition.

19 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, a non-revenue reposition.

18 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

They did the same thing last fall when they repositioned to Miami. It was strange to get off in Ft. Lauderdale and seeing the terminal so auiet.

Thanks!

Last night got a text and email from Royal......Coast Guard inspection on 4/28 and to not come to port before 1 pm.  Check in between 1.30 and 3.30 pm. That means we will not sail at 3.30 as scheduled earlier.

We are on the 5/11 sailing and they notified about 50% of the passengers that we cannot go to St. Thomas because of the propulsion issue.  We are now going to San Juan.  They cut the time in San Juan as well as Nassau for a total of 4 port hours.

St. Thomas was the reason we booked this cruise.  It is my favorite island.  This is also a big family cruise and the last family vacation my parents will go on because they just can't get around well anymore.  So this was a super duper special cruise for us.

I'm really disappointed in how Royal Caribbean handled this.  Weather is out of their control.  But a mechanical issue is not.  The very LEAST they could have done was give everyone a small onboard credit, provide a free massage or send us to St. Thomas and cut out Nassau.  Or instead of Nassau let us go to Cocoa Cay.  Nassau is gross and is just another dirty New Orleans, but surrounded by pretty water.  In no way did they try to sweeten the pot and lessen the blow because of a known issue with their ship that they have yet to fix.  I know it is in their cruise contract, blah, blah.  Don't need that speech.  And I know it would probably require dry dock to fix.   It's just the principle of the matter.  In our cruise group on FB, I cannot tell you the amount of people that also booked this cruise because of St. Thomas. 

If I was providing a service and my equipment failed and would alter my service, I would offer my clients something to compensate them.  Even if it was a $25 OBC.  Just something!  I would at least try to make it right until I could get it fixed.  But they just said oh well.  That is what bothers me.

We are still going to have a wonderful time because family is everything to me, and my cruise isn't ruined.... just sad.

• Thanks 1

We are on the 5/19 cruise and received an email yesterday.  So far the only change is the arrival and departure time of Falmouth, Jamaica.  We arrive about 75 minutes later and leave an hour later than scheduled.  I would be upset too if one of the ports was cancelled, especially the one I really wanted.  St. Thomas is so much nicer than some of the others.

Someone posted a letter from RCI on another site yesterday saying that their mid September Allure sailing was affected by the propulsion issue and therefore their St. Thomas stop was being changed to San Juan. So it doesn’t look like it’s going to be fixed anytime soon. 

Edited by SashaC

We are on the May 12 cruise and I am very very disappointed.

They should provide some sort of compensation.

I will be calling them this afternoon as I hope most will....strength in numbers.

2 minutes ago, E23NK1 said:

We are on the May 12 cruise and I am very very disappointed.

They should provide some sort of compensation.

I will be calling them this afternoon as I hope most will....strength in numbers.

Agreed.  I'm also a travel agent, so sent an email to one of our "higher ups."  I hoping everyone in our cruise group calls Royal and speaks to a manager.  Why cancel the one port everyone booked the cruise for?  If I wanted to go to Nassau, I would have booked a 3 day cruise and spent 75% less money!  

• Haha 1

I got an email last night at 701pm.  We leave on the Allure on Mothers Day, May 12.  We were supposed to go to St Kitts, St Thomas and Nassau, out of Fort Lauderdale.  We are now going to San Juan instead of St Thomas.

" We’ll be reducing our speed because of a technical matter with one of the ship’s three propulsion pods. As a result, we’ve had to make an adjustment to our itinerary. So, we will replace Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas with San Juan, Puerto Rico and will adjust our time in Nassau. We are sorry for this unexpected change. "

This is what they said in the email.

My wife wasn't happy at all!  We have been to St Thomas once on a cruise a while ago and she was looking forward to going back.  That was one of the reasons we picked this cruise.  We have never been to San Juan together on a cruise, so that's going to be a little different.  I went to check on shore excursions there through the RCCL website and it shows that the itinerary has changed but the shore excursions aren't showing up yet.  it still shows the excursions for St Thomas when I click on the day.  I will keep checking.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

4:30 PM

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis

8:00 AM

5:00 PM

Thu

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

San Juan, Puerto Rico

7:00 AM

4:00 PM

2:00 PM

Fri

Cruising

Sat

Nassau, Bahamas

10:00 AM

11:00 AM

7:00 PM

6:30 PM

Sun

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

6:15 AM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cparkerkite said:

We are on the 5/11 sailing and they notified about 50% of the passengers that we cannot go to St. Thomas because of the propulsion issue.  We are now going to San Juan.  They cut the time in San Juan as well as Nassau for a total of 4 port hours.

St. Thomas was the reason we booked this cruise.  It is my favorite island.  This is also a big family cruise and the last family vacation my parents will go on because they just can't get around well anymore.  So this was a super duper special cruise for us.

I'm really disappointed in how Royal Caribbean handled this.  Weather is out of their control.  But a mechanical issue is not.  The very LEAST they could have done was give everyone a small onboard credit, provide a free massage or send us to St. Thomas and cut out Nassau.  Or instead of Nassau let us go to Cocoa Cay.  Nassau is gross and is just another dirty New Orleans, but surrounded by pretty water.  In no way did they try to sweeten the pot and lessen the blow because of a known issue with their ship that they have yet to fix.  I know it is in their cruise contract, blah, blah.  Don't need that speech.  And I know it would probably require dry dock to fix.   It's just the principle of the matter.  In our cruise group on FB, I cannot tell you the amount of people that also booked this cruise because of St. Thomas. 

If I was providing a service and my equipment failed and would alter my service, I would offer my clients something to compensate them.  Even if it was a $25 OBC.  Just something!  I would at least try to make it right until I could get it fixed.  But they just said oh well.  That is what bothers me.

We are still going to have a wonderful time because family is everything to me, and my cruise isn't ruined.... just sad.

You have captured my sentiments exactly! I appreciate others being able to change their perspective, make lemonade out of lemons, etc but for me personally, it rubs me the wrong way because my opinion is that I am not getting what I paid for and RC is not offering any sort of goodwill gesture, not even a small one! At the end of the day, there are worse problems to have, so....life goes on

• Like 3

The only way I found out about our time port hour changes was thru Cruise critic on our Allure May 5th. thread.

Never got an email from RCI, or TA.

Oh well, we're cruising, that is all that matters, we need this cruise....... really really ready for it.

Safe travels.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 5thgirl said:

You have captured my sentiments exactly! I appreciate others being able to change their perspective, make lemonade out of lemons, etc but for me personally, it rubs me the wrong way because my opinion is that I am not getting what I paid for and RC is not offering any sort of goodwill gesture, not even a small one! At the end of the day, there are worse problems to have, so....life goes on

I am in the same boat. I think we all know that they can change whatever they want, whenever they want but that doesnt make it any better...and the fact that RCCL chose to give us all the middle finder certainly doesnt sit well either.

If I could cancel and not get screwed I would but they know that 99+% of the people can not afford to cancel so as a result there is no reason for them to offer any compensation...not the best customer experience.

I will call and register my complaint which may make me feel slightly better but at this point thats all I can do, so I will.

Edited by E23NK1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, 5thgirl said:

That's what bothers me the most.  They don't HAVE to do anything, but they SHOULD do something.  Their ship isn't performing well enough to get us to St. Thomas, so it is an issue within their control.  Just do SOMETHING that says they care.  They have to know St. Thomas is the reason people booked this cruise.  Why they kept Nassau is beyond me.  

Got these for our Sept 1 and 8 cruises, nothing yet for our Sept 15th cruise but I expect the same.  No big deal to us.

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you onboard Allure of the Seas and have an important itinerary change to share with you for our September 1st cruise

We’ll be reducing our speed because of a technical matter with one of the ship’s three propulsion pods. As a result, we’ve had to make a minor adjustment to our itinerary. This means, we’ll arrive in Falmouth, Jamaica a little later than we originally planned. We’ll now be there from 10:45 AM to 7:00 PM. We are sorry for this unexpected change. Please know, when making these changes, we do everything possible to maximize your time in each destination and we are confident your cruise will be amazing.

It’s important to us that we set expectations accordingly and that you start your vacation off right. Below, please find our new itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Labadee, Haiti

4:00 PM

Wed

Falmouth, Jamaica

9:30 AM

10:45 AM

6:00 PM

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Cozumel, Mexico

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

We are eager to welcome you onboard and can’t wait for you to discover the Eastern Caribbean. We hope you savor each and every moment while you admire the crystal clear, turquoise waters of our private destination, Labadee, climb the invigorating Dunn's River Falls in Falmouth, and explore Chichen Itza and its surrounding pyramids in Cozumel. We are sure you’ll have a great time whatever you choose to do!

Any affected Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked for Falmouth, will be rescheduled for you. In the next 3 business days, our Shore Excursions team will send you an email with your updated excursion details. Then, feel free to browse through our Cruise Planner for additional excursions that may interest you.

We look forward to having you onboard Allure of the Seas soon!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you onboard Allure of the Seas for our September 8th cruise and have an important itinerary change to share with you.

We’ll be reducing our speed because of a technical matter with one of the ship’s three propulsion pods. As a result, we’ve had to make an adjustment to our itinerary. To make sure we arrive in Labadee, Haiti on time, we’ll regrettably depart San Juan, Puerto Rico a little early. The good news is we’ll be able to spend an extra hour in Philipsburg, St. Maarten. We are sorry for this unexpected change. Please know, when making these changes, we do everything possible to maximize your time at each destination and we are confident your cruise will be amazing.

It’s important to us that we set expectations accordingly and that you start your vacation off right. Below, please find our new itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

5:00 PM

Thu

San Juan, Puerto Rico

3:00 PM

1:00 PM

Fri

Labadee, Haiti

10:00 AM

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

We are eager to welcome you onboard and can’t wait for you to discover the Eastern Caribbean. We hope you’ll savor each and every moment while you explore the Puerto Rican countryside on 4x4s, kick back on a sandy beach in Philipsburg, and admire the crystal clear, turquoise waters on our private destination, Labadee!

Any affected Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked for San Juan, will be rescheduled for you. In the next 3 business days, our Shore Excursions team will send you an email with your updated excursion details. Then, feel free to browse through our Cruise Planner for additional excursions that may interest you.

We look forward to having you onboard Allure of the Seas soon!

Sincerely,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SashaC said:

Someone posted a letter from RCI on another site yesterday saying that their mid September Allure sailing was affected by the propulsion issue and therefore their St. Thomas stop was being changed to San Juan. So it doesn’t look like it’s going to be fixed anytime soon. 

Cruising end of September and although our ports didn’t change, they did change the times. San Juan changed to 7am-1pm instead of 7am-3pm. They added an additional hour to St Maarten port.

I feel badly for the passenger impact from the "itinerary adjustments", due to the Allure issues at this time...but also think Royal is doing a good job helping passengers continue their cruises as a positive experience.

Allure is a fine ship...and hopefully Royal formulates a plan to address the Azipods as soon as feasible.

• Like 1

We're booked on the Allure for February 16. Appears to me that RCI is trying to limp along without addressing the propulsion problem, hoping the other azipods will last until the March dry dock. Hopefully we don't see any "Allure Adrift At Sea Due To Propulsion Failure" headlines anytime soon....