Allure azipod issues

33 minutes ago, Raxter54 said:

We're booked on the Allure for February 16. Appears to me that RCI is trying to limp along without addressing the propulsion problem, hoping the other azipods will last until the March dry dock. Hopefully we don't see any "Allure Adrift At Sea Due To Propulsion Failure" headlines anytime soon....

We are on the same cruise...  Wondering if we will be canceled and have to rebook.  I just hope they do it sooner rather than later before we make our air travel arrangements.

13 minutes ago, kag19 said:

We are on the same cruise...  Wondering if we will be canceled and have to rebook.  I just hope they do it sooner rather than later before we make our air travel arrangements.

Use RCI for air... else you risk beeing stuck and loose 💵💵💵👎

• Like 1

I was booked on Allure back in 2014. The ship sailed around for months in 2013 with a pod problem and on a modified itinerary. The cruise the week before mine ended up being cancelled and the ship was brought to Freeport to be fixed. It was the first time the method used for fixing the pod was tried using something called cauffer dams (sp.?) around the pod as the ship does not fit into the dry dock. I was very nervous the ship would not be ready for the following week but things went well and our cruise went off without a hitch. Of course, Freeport is not an option now.

These pods, if that is what the problem actually is, seem to periodically develop issues.

We go June 2nd and our intenerary has been changed and it sucks. This is our 50th birthday vacation we have saved for year and a half and had everything planned and situated. Now we have 2 horseback riding excursions canceled and who knows what else.... TERRIBLE!!!

12 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

As many are aware...booking Caribbean cruises from June 1 - Nov 1 comes with its own risk of hurricanes/severe weather...which is why many of us simply avoid those times.

The Azipod situation only piles on to the potential problems.

Agree. Over the years have had 2 dozen port changes, some times changed or even canceled. Most due to Medical emergencies, rest from weather and Mechanical. Most ever got was 2hrs free drinks or $25 OBC. Happens...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

We are on the Allure for the June 2 sailing. We got e-mails this week advising us they would be reducing speed due to an  problem with one of the three propulsion pods. We were supposed to visit St. Kitts, St. Thomas and Nassau. They took away St. Thomas and now we go to San Juan from St. Kitts. We leave there at 2:00 p.m. to start for Nassau. In Nassau, they have moved back our arrival an hour. 

I read a review where someone said the 2 screens in the Water Theater were both broken. I hope this is not the case when we are on board, but what can we do anyway? I plan to have a good time on this cruise!

Just now, notladjr said:

I can't believe they won't put her in drydock ASAP to resolve this issue. It is just crazy to reduce speed and skip ports for about six months!

In order to put her in dry dock, one has to be available.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:29 AM, notladjr said:

I can't believe they won't put her in drydock ASAP to resolve this issue. It is just crazy to reduce speed and skip ports for about six months!

I am not sure if it there was a drydock available that RC would be doing it. You need to consider that to carry out the repairs would require pulling at least one cruise affectingly cancelling the holiday of almost 6000 people, I reckon RC are doing the only responsible thing to keep everyone as happy as possible and ploughing on until it’s official drydock date.

I think any of us whinging and complaining over this is insignificant, we are only having a port changed and a slight adjustment to our times in port, this is compared to the businesses in and around the port of St Thomas, they have lost close on 6000 potential customers trade every single week for months.

Edited by Luminated67

20 minutes ago, Luminated67 said:

I am not sure if it there was a drydock available that RC would be doing it. You need to consider that to carry out the repairs would require pulling at least one cruise affectingly cancelling the holiday of almost 6000 people, I reckon RC are doing the only responsible thing to keep everyone as happy as possible and ploughing on until it’s official drydock date.

But isn't that exactly what they did with Oasis, they cancelled a cruise which should have been first week in April to sort out the Azipod issue before she did her crossing. It was that dry dock where the accident happened.

Edited by Bobal

15 minutes ago, Bobal said:

But isn't that exactly what they did with Oasis, they cancelled a cruise which should have been first week in April to sort out the Azipod issue before she did her crossing. It was that dry dock where the accident happened.

So you think with Oasis already out that they will take the Allure out as well, especially since a lot of the Oasis passengers have been transferred on to the Allure.

i don’t think so.

11 minutes ago, Luminated67 said:

So you think with Oasis already out that they will take the Allure out as well, especially since a lot of the Oasis passengers have been transferred on to the Allure.

i don’t think so.

I really don't know what they will do - I was merely pointing out that, despite your comment which implied that they wouldn't take out a whole cruise, that is exactly what they did with Oasis. They may well take out an Allure cruise to do the repair before she travels over to Europe or they may carry on limping along changing itineraries until next April, meanwhile clearly upsetting a lot of passengers.

And  Oasis isn't 'out' - it recommences its cruises today, departing from Barcelona

Edited by Bobal

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

I really don't know what they will do - I was merely pointing out that, despite your comment which implied that they wouldn't take out a whole cruise, that is exactly what they did with Oasis. They may well take out an Allure cruise to do the repair before she travels over to Europe or they may carry on limping along changing itineraries until next April, meanwhile clearly upsetting a lot of passengers.

And  Oasis isn't 'out' - it recommences its cruises today, departing from Barcelona

Thats great that Oasis is back up and running. Though what about the passengers who were redirected on to the Allure, are they going to be placed back on the Oasis now?

My original point was less about if they would cancel a cruise to sort out the issue it was more about putting the port changes into perspective compared to the affect this will have on the St Thomas businesses. RC are soldiering on and making the best alternative, it’s not like this is the first time this particular issue has raised its ugly head and back then they did exactly the same thing they are doing now.

I fully understand people are expecting everything to go according to plan and get upset when this doesn’t happen but in the grand scheme of life this is like a pothole on a very long road.

55 minutes ago, Luminated67 said:

Thats great that Oasis is back up and running. Though what about the passengers who were redirected on to the Allure, are they going to be placed back on the Oasis now?

I'm not sure that many were redirected to the Allure. They cancelled 2 one week Caribbean cruises, whereby those who were cancelled had a full refund and a future cruise credit. I can't say how many of those people went to Allure but there were lots of options for one week's sailing in the Caribbean. The other cancelled cruise was a 2 weeks transatlantic from Florida to Barcelona, so they couldn't redirect people to Allure for that one. As I mentioned Oasis is now sailing from Barcelona so there is no way they would be on Allure

Edited by Bobal

On 5/3/2019 at 7:29 PM, notladjr said:

Where do you get those parts?  Rockauto.com?  Amazon? 

• Like 1