Question about weather/temperatures on the Danube

Soulmate4LH

My husband and I are cruising south on the Danube with Avalon, we are beginning our journey on May 18 in Prague and ending in Budapest. I'm trying to decide on what to pack, according to the weather sites Prague has an average temp of about 65 degrees and Budapest in the 70's. Which to me seems very nice temperatures, jeans with short sleeves and a jacket or light weight long sleeves; however, I've had others that have traveled to these locations before (albeit not on a river cruise) that during May the temperatures can be very cold. 

If anyone can give me some guidance on what the temperatures are during this time and what type of clothes would be ideal (jeans, shorts, sweaters, long sleeve, short sleeve, sleeveless), I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

~Kimberly

Welcome to CC.

Today in Passau, it is sunny but very cold 5°C, and haven't had one Arpril shower.

May is normally a good weather month, but one has to take into account "Eisheilige":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Saints

The secret is to dress "layered", so that you peel off or put on as required.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

It can be helpful if you use standard European temperatures in Centigrade as 'Fahrenheit' went out of use more than 50 years ago. But to answer your question I will be back on the Danube in two weeks having cruised it many times, but have also visited Prague and Budapest [I love looking a good Scottish engineering in both towns] as a city break more than 12. Temperature can  be in Fahrenheit anything from 40 to 80 [5c-25c] in May. Dress in layers and have a light weight 'Waterproof' top layer preferably breathable to stop you having a 'Sauna'. You will be visiting a wonderful part of the world and Prague and Budapest two of the worlds most beautiful city's, but all the other towns you will visit are also a delight to visit, enjoy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Welcome to CC.

Today in Passau, it is sunny but very cold 5°C, and haven't had one Arpril shower.

May is normally a good weather month, but one has to take into account "Eisheilige":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Saints

The secret is to dress "layered", so that you peel off or put on as required.

Have a great cruise.

Thank you! This really helps me plan 🙂

Edited by Soulmate4LH

12 hours ago, MikeBR said:

It can be helpful if you use standard European temperatures in Centigrade as 'Fahrenheit' went out of use more than 50 years ago. But to answer your question I will be back on the Danube in two weeks having cruised it many times, but have also visited Prague and Budapest [I love looking a good Scottish engineering in both towns] as a city break more than 12. Temperature can  be in Fahrenheit anything from 40 to 80 [5c-25c] in May. Dress in layers and have a light weight 'Waterproof' top layer preferably breathable to stop you having a 'Sauna'. You will be visiting a wonderful part of the world and Prague and Budapest two of the worlds most beautiful city's, but all the other towns you will visit are also a delight to visit, enjoy.

Thank you! Excellent advise to dress in layers!

Hi, are you on Impression?  We will be on the same cruise.  My sister and I got hit with the Eisheilige (that's a great name, and exactly what it was!) two years ago driving through Germany in May and it was miserable.  The trip started out lovely and warm in Munich, and before we knew it, we had a week of freezing rain, and even show flurries up in Bavaria.  It was really cold and raw, for over a week.  By the time we got to Prague near the end of May it was warm again.

That said, we're hoping for better this time.  I will bring my raincoat of course and a couple of cardigan sweaters or a light fleece.  My husband will be flying to Budapest to meet me after the cruise and we're driving through Romania for three weeks after a week in Budapest.  My biggest question is whether to bring along my packable puffer jacket from L.L. Bean. That's what I'm really stuck on, remembering how miserable we were two years ago.  It's hard to pack for five weeks over changeable weather times and mountain travel 🙂  

12 hours ago, amyr said:

Hi, are you on Impression?  We will be on the same cruise.  My sister and I got hit with the Eisheilige (that's a great name, and exactly what it was!) two years ago driving through Germany in May and it was miserable.  The trip started out lovely and warm in Munich, and before we knew it, we had a week of freezing rain, and even show flurries up in Bavaria.  It was really cold and raw, for over a week.  By the time we got to Prague near the end of May it was warm again.

That said, we're hoping for better this time.  I will bring my raincoat of course and a couple of cardigan sweaters or a light fleece.  My husband will be flying to Budapest to meet me after the cruise and we're driving through Romania for three weeks after a week in Budapest.  My biggest question is whether to bring along my packable puffer jacket from L.L. Bean. That's what I'm really stuck on, remembering how miserable we were two years ago.  It's hard to pack for five weeks over changeable weather times and mountain travel 🙂  

Hi Amy - YES we are and so excited about the trip! We will have to figure out a way to meet for sure.  Thanks for the advice!

~Kimberly Huffman

On 4/14/2019 at 5:25 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I love those Bean puffers!  They pack so small and weigh nothing. I would bring it. 

I also appreciate the information as we are traveling the same route on Avalon's Envision embarking May 14, 2019.  

• 1 month later...