Declining Complimentary Upgrade

wesport

Trying not to create more confusion than I already have, let me ask these questions: what is Seabourn's process for trying to fill a ship?  Do they try to upsell the folks (early, late, or all booked passengers) in the lower categories (Ocean View, guarantee, confirmed V1 thru V4, V5 & 6) to the penthouse and above suites; then resell the lower categories?  I am not looking to play suite roulette any further than I already have.  I started with a guarantee V1 and have already selected what I hope is a good higher level verandah suite.  I'll find out how good a suite roulette player I am in July!

Upsells generally appear a few weeks prior to sailing, and are open to all pax. However, there are usually only very limited suite upgrades as most people that want a ph grade and above will book them at the outset as there aren't lots available full stop. There are usually some paid upgrades available but generally the best location suites are booked initially and it also depends on the individual cruise. Our last few cruises were sold out of ph grade and above months ahead.

The "no upgrade" option is offered on your online Seabourn account. 

Something we learned on a very rough Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale cruise; V2, deck 6, middle of the ship is the best place to be in rough seas (on Odyssey class ships).  This is middle-middle of the ship and has the least amount of rock and roll.  In this case absolutely select the on upgrade option.

On 4/24/2019 at 2:01 PM, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Upsells generally appear a few weeks prior to sailing, and are open to all pax. However, there are usually only very limited suite upgrades as most people that want a ph grade and above will book them at the outset as there aren't lots available full stop. There are usually some paid upgrades available but generally the best location suites are booked initially and it also depends on the individual cruise. Our last few cruises were sold out of ph grade and above months ahead.

Tillylovesseabourn is right.

Seabourn, like most cruise ships, book "top down and bottom up".  The premium suites are almost never available.  We've gotten a few paid upgrade offers over the years but I've never heard of anyone booking a cat V1 getting a free upgrade to a Wintergarden Suite or above.  There are so few premium suites and so many wealthy people....