Yes, another laundry question!

bradpole

My apologies if this has already been asked and answered but in searching the previous laundry threads I didn't see this specific question.  

Is there access to the laundry rooms on boarding day prior to the cabins being available?  

the only issue I can see is if you get in the way of the crew who are in the final throes of readying cabins and bringing luggage onboard. If you stay out of their way, they should be ok with your presence. Folks typically park themselves in the public areas (world cafe, living room, lounge, etc) while waiting for access to their cabins. Oh - and of course - what was I thinking? Of course you have your cabin key! Otherwise you couldn't be onboard. Doh!🙀

Edited by CharTrav

Delivery of your luggage is probably a bigger stumbling block than access to the laundry room or your cabin.

Viking does not announce that cabins are ready until all of the cabins are ready. Housekeeping's goal is to have all cabins ready by 2pm--a goal that is met more often than not. Therefore, it almost always pays to check your cabin when you board to see if it is ready for you.

Your room steward will try to catch up with you on embarkation day, to introduce himself/herself and to give you a tour of the cabin, etc. and to answer any questions you might have.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Delivery of your luggage is probably a bigger stumbling block than access to the laundry room or your cabin.

Viking does not announce that cabins are ready until all of the cabins are ready. Housekeeping's goal is to have all cabins ready by 2pm--a goal that is met more often than not. Therefore, it almost always pays to check your cabin when you board to see if it is ready for you. 

Your room steward will try to catch up with you on embarkation day, to introduce himself/herself and to give you a tour of the cabin, etc. and to answer any questions you might have.

Definitely true, and worth checking your cabin when you get on board.  We were told 2:00, but wandered up to the cabin at 1:00, thinking we could dump our carry-on bag there even if it wasn't finished, and it turned out the cabin was ready.  Cabin steward said it was fine to "move in."  The luggage showed up around 4:30.  (Even though our flight got in early and we were on the ship at 11:00, I think the luggage came by separate transport, rather than in the belly of our bus.)   

I love this part about Viking being able to check just in case. On Celebrity there is an automatic door that blocks access to all cabins until the announcement. On Cunard you board at 12 and have immediate access. 

I think I’ll be doing laundry pretty much straightaway after 2 weeks already in the USA and Canada. 

On Cunard, it depends what grade of accommodation you have (and sometimes where you are embarking), usually we've been on board, into our suite and safely into QG as soon as it opens (and then we can get on with the rest of the day).  More often than not our luggage arrives in the suite either just before (and I mean just) lunch or it's there waiting when we get back from lunch.

However, with Viking we've not heard an announcement about accommodation being available - too busy enjoying ourselves.

As to the laundry, we always keep sufficient clothing to deal with pre-cruise days in our flight bags, and so first thing we do is go to the suite and fill out the laundry form.  So, our routine is to put out the laundry bag and shoes for cleaning and go and enjoy ourselves.