Main Dining Room Attire

ScottC4746

On 5/18/2019 at 11:10 AM, RoyalVisit said:

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam this morning after an Alaskan cruise. The attire on Gala night for Open Seating in the Main Dining Room on Deck 2 was a mixed bag. We dined at various times and at Canaletto one evening. The men were mostly wearing shirts with collars from polos and golf shirts to dress shirts with short or long sleeves... with or without sweaters. Some also wore sport coats or a suit but very few ties. I counted 2 tuxes and they both stood out from the majority. One gentleman wore khakis with a T-shirt (no collar) and a sport jacket (collar). On smart casual nights we saw just about everything from t-shirts, track suits, a beach style tank top (on a woman), majority were in jeans, khakis, trousers etc.  

We were dressed like the majority.

Thanks, that's just the current answer I needed, as we will be sailing the same ship in August.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dbits said:

Thanks, that's just the current answer I needed, as we will be sailing the same ship in August.

You're welcome - I still encourage people to wear what you want but in deference to the suggested dress.

On 5/18/2019 at 12:41 AM, Boatdrill said:

And from the other side....I've worked for cruise lines (onboard and shoreside), and in hotel management,  so I've worn uniforms nearly all my life.  My first cruise was when I was 10 years old.  

I look forward to dressing up for Gala/Formal nights. When I pack, I look in my closet and remember what I wore on which ship and the itinerary. I choose accordingly (Caribbean vs Alaska vs transatlantic, etc.).  I dress up for Gala nights not only because  that's what the occasion calls for, but out of respect for the officers (who are in their formal uniforms as well) and their ship.  That's what I was taught, and yes,  I'm a traditionalist.  I know crew appreciate well dressed guests; it's similar to dressing well for first class on an airplane.  No passenger should ever feel overdressed in the MDR on Gala Night. But that's where it seems to be headed.     

Quick question, from your experience are pax on European cruises dressier on gala nights?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Quick question, from your experience are pax on European cruises dressier on gala nights?

27 minutes ago, RoyalVisit said:

I'd say yes based on our one Mediterranean itinerary - fashionable but not ball gowns..

My experience is the Sam as RoyalVisit’s and I’ve done a few European cruises.

Definitely a difference compared to a Caribbean or Alaska itinerary.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kazu said:

My experience is the Sam as RoyalVisit’s and I’ve done a few European cruises.

Definitely a difference compared to a Caribbean or Alaska itinerary.  

That's what I figured.  We have in fact done have one Med cruise but it was with Royal Caribbean not HAL. Wanted to know if it was the same with HAL.