Main Dining Room Attire

ScottC4746

I do not wear hats...inside or outside.

But really,  I am not impacted in any way whatsoever if I see someone wearing one in the MDR or in any other restaurant for that matter.   I would have to be more than a little bit anal to let something like that interfere with my dining pleasure.   It happens, I have no control over it, so I just accept it and get on with enjoying what I am doing. 

No point in sweating the small stuff is there??? Now...if they are wearing it backwards....well that is an entirely different issue.  Mind you, a Habs hat will bring a smile to my old wrinkled face.  Even in the MDR on Gala evenings.  Bottom line is that I believe that some people need to get over themselves and accept that fact that not everyone feels the same or acts the same as they do.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

Last night my wife and I had dinner at Perry's Steak House a very upscale and expensive restaurant in Dallas, TX. With this very long thread in mind I took a look around to see what most men were wearing and it looked like Gala night on HAL. A few older men in sport coats with non ties, A couple of suits but majority in slacks, jeans khakis with golf shirts and button up shirts all with collars. I saw even some shorts and non collar shirts. 20 to 30 years ago you would have seen the majority of the men in coats and ties much like cruises that long ago, but society has changed and evolved as  has the cruising world. I am sure there were some customers in the restaurant last night who were not happy about the attire of others, but in reality it is what it is,  and there is no going back.

BTW the steaks and seafood at Perry's were so much better than any meal I have ever had at the PG, but i don't want to get off topic.

• Like 2

TIL... people dress up to go on airplanes ?!?!

And here I am purposely dressing DOWN in layers because I have no idea how warm/cool it'll be in the cabin and I don't want to moan about it if I guess wrong.

• Like 2

Our former Mayor did a series of commercials about our town to try to get others in the state to visit.  One commercial did from one of our three Forbes 4-star-rated restaurants.  He talked about dress code for high-end restaurants in town.  His reply (paraphrased): We have what we call Park City semi-formal: clean jeans, cowboy boots and a hideous Hawaiian shirt."   You will never see a jacket on a man at our high-end restaurants unless he is over 60 or coming from a wedding or a funeral.  Usually, it's country-club casual - khakis and polo or Tommy Bahama shirts (or a sweater in the winter).  Women are usually in jeans of various fit, boots or flats, and a variety of shirts, from T-shirts to tunics to button-downs.  Maybe a few in skirt or a dress, but definitely a single-digit percentage.    So, how one dresses for a nice restaurant is actually geographically diverse and I would expect the same for those who take a cruise.

On May 19, 2019 at 1:48 PM, Roz said:

Close to it. 😄  We had a very large Australian contingent onboard.  3 tour groups that I was aware of.  There may have been more.  US passengers definitely in the minority.  

Roz

Did you see my Bass Pro Shop cap. Just call me Gator Bob, short for RNB

16 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Did you see my Bass Pro Shop cap. Just call me Gator Bob, short for RNB

Were you on my cruise???

Roz

In at least several viewpoints here, the presupposition is that expensive restaurants set the standard.  I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, but neither do I think that HAL must follow suit.  HAL can do it’s own thing.  Many people might find it refreshing!

I believe that it may also be a reflection in the differences among various regions in the country.  I certainly saw a difference in how people dressed as I traveled on business or as we lived in various areas of the county.    Not everyone dresses in Boston or Toronto as they do in Colorado Springs, Calgary, Vancouver or San Francisco and vice versa.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I believe that it may also be a reflection in the differences among various regions in the country.  I certainly saw a difference in how people dressed as I traveled on business or as we lived in various areas of the county.    Not everyone dresses in Boston or Toronto as they do in Colorado Springs, Calgary, Vancouver or San Francisco and vice versa.

That and to where you are traveling.  Caribbean cruises are very casual, Europe and the Middle East far less.  I rarely wear shorts or jeans even off ship in those locations.  

22 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Our former Mayor did a series of commercials about our town to try to get others in the state to visit.  One commercial did from one of our three Forbes 4-star-rated restaurants.  He talked about dress code for high-end restaurants in town.  His reply (paraphrased): We have what we call Park City semi-formal: clean jeans, cowboy boots and a hideous Hawaiian shirt."   You will never see a jacket on a man at our high-end restaurants unless he is over 60 or coming from a wedding or a funeral.  Usually, it's country-club casual - khakis and polo or Tommy Bahama shirts (or a sweater in the winter).  Women are usually in jeans of various fit, boots or flats, and a variety of shirts, from T-shirts to tunics to button-downs.  Maybe a few in skirt or a dress, but definitely a single-digit percentage.    So, how one dresses for a nice restaurant is actually geographically diverse and I would expect the same for those who take a cruise.

Same here in Colorado but sorry, those of us "over 60" STARTED that dress code 50+ years ago and it's still in vogue today!!  😉

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Same here in Colorado but sorry, those of us "over 60" STARTED that dress code 50+ years ago and it's still in vogue today!!  😉

Same here.  Usually those "over 60" with the jackets are tourists...  Us locals, from birth to death, are in the Mayor's designated dress code!!  And, the usual choice of jacket is a Patagonia or Mountain Hardware, not Brooks Brothers 😉    The only time my LBD comes out of the closet is if I am going on a cruise or if I am going to Europe.  It's jeans, jeans, jeans, with the occasional leggings tossed in.   Boots or trail runners or my Jambu flats are the preferred footwear, with the trail runners on my feet 80% of the time,  No strappy sandals, blinged out sandals, no stilettos...   That's just me and my "peeps" here in town.

Same here.  We have a well know Stampede and Rodeo where we live.  We can tell the 'easterners'   IF they are wearing jeans they are quite often pressed.  And more often than not designer brands.  Imagine!   Shirts the same, all from the high end stores.  Footwear...you nailed it.   If they had cowboy boots they tended to be brand new and polished to a high sheen.    When I was in business, anyone who showed up wearing a tie had it cut off!   Lots of fun.  Just goes to show the differences.  Those differences are what make our respective countries so interesting!   Easy for me to say because I grew up and lived in a much more formal eastern environment for many years.

Edited by iancal

16 minutes ago, iancal said:

Same here.  We have a well know Stampede and Rodeo where we live.  We can tell the 'easterners'   IF they are wearing jeans they are quite often pressed.  And more often than not designer brands.  Imagine!   Shirts the same, all from the high end stores.  Footwear...you nailed it.   If they had cowboy boots they tended to be brand new and polished to a high sheen.    When I was in business, anyone who showed up wearing a tie had it cut off!   Lots of fun.  Just goes to show the differences.  Those differences are what make our respective countries so interesting!   Easy for me to say because I grew up and lived in a much more formal eastern environment for many years.

A friend of mine is one of the  commentators for the Chuckwagon races and does on-camera interviews at "the Stampede."  And, she barrel races...   I love that part of Canada - spent a couple of weeks each year up there at the COP in all kinds of weather.  I think we are all less stuffy in our dress on both sides of the Western part of the Northern Border 🙂  

On 4/13/2019 at 8:16 PM, ScottC4746 said:

That used to be me.  Both my DH and I wore suits to the Gala Night and I dare say we stuck out.

This isn't the Titanic for dinner anymore.

for those of you who like to read the threads backwards (newest first),  I thought I would quote the OP's  early assessment.

The quote really sums it up.    We were in the MDR 11 days ago, albeit another line and did not see a Tuxedo.

Wearing a Tuxedo on a HAL ship is out-dressing the food, most of the time.  It's a fading fashion even in the award ceremonies and red carpets.   

Kilts might be making a comeback though.

Edited by JRG

29 minutes ago, JRG said:

for those of you who like to read the threads backwards (newest first),  I thought I would quote the OP's  early assessment.

The quote really sums it up.    We were in the MDR 11 days ago, albeit another line and did not see a Tuxedo.

Wearing a Tuxedo on a HAL ship is out-dressing the food, most of the time.  It's a fading fashion even in the award ceremonies and red carpets.   

Kilts might be making a comeback though.

Thank you for twisting my words around.  Not at all what I was saying.

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I think we are all less stuffy in our dress on both sides of the Western part of the Northern Border 🙂  

That would be "Southern Border" please. 🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦 :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Fouremco

I see what you're saying.   I mistook your suits for Tuxedos.  My bad.

My point is about not seeing a Tuxedo in the MDR is my compelling argument about its dwindiling popularity on cruiseships.

Edited by JRG

There will always be people looking for a night or two where you turn it up a notch with attire, and the more festive atmosphere it creates, especially on a cruise.  It might not be to a level of super-dressiness for me, but it’s the variation from routine that makes it fun.  There’s also something fun about a bunch of people making the effort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

That would be "Southern Border" please. 🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦 :classic_biggrin:

Hey Hoser...  I'm still waiting for that wall... Gotta keep out those people from the South who sound similar but want Bud intead of Molsons...  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

There will always be people looking for a night or two where you turn it up a notch with attire, and the more festive atmosphere it creates, especially on a cruise.  It might not be to a level of super-dressiness for me, but it’s the variation from routine that makes it fun.  There’s also something fun about a bunch of people making the effort.

Great post!  

All it is to me is a shipboard activity -- right there with trivia.  There just aren't that many things to do while at sea.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

There will always be people who "make an effort" (get out of sandy beach clothes, shower, shave, put on clean khakis & collared shirt) but will be not enough "effort" for some. 😉

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

There will always be people who "make an effort" (get out of sandy beach clothes, shower, shave, put on clean khakis & collared shirt) but will be not enough "effort" for some. 😉

I for one will appreciate their effort.  It’s good to realize that any given activity requires different amounts of effort depending on the individual.  And hey, it’s vacation!

• Like 1