10% off of shore excursions for the next 31 hours

shof515

I leave on Friday.  Can I cancel and rebook under the promo?  I know the only risk is if the excursion is full or close to full, but that is not indicated on the website.  I would prefer to double book then cancel, but that doesn't let you do that.

15 minutes ago, tonyhb12 said:

I leave on Friday.  Can I cancel and rebook under the promo?  I know the only risk is if the excursion is full or close to full, but that is not indicated on the website.  I would prefer to double book then cancel, but that doesn't let you do that.

I think you have until 24 hours prior to an excursion to cancel; it might be 48 hours (someone correct me if I’m wrong).  If you leave Friday, you should be within that timeline. I cancelled an excursion and re-booked right away with the promo, so that does work. My sailing is a little further away though. 

13 hours ago, lab_love123 said:

I was just able to log in to my account, cancel my excursion, and re-book using the promo code! The site moved very slowly, but I got there.

I thought I did it, but I never received an email that my shore excursion was cancelled, and it still shows up as one excursion booked, I did get a page that says your order was cancelled successfully,  did you get an email for the cancellation? and did it still show as one excursion booked on the website?

2019-04-15_9-59-57.jpg

2019-04-15_9-58-13.jpg

1 minute ago, lele100 said:

I thought I did it, but I never received an email that my shore excursion was cancelled, and it still shows up as one excursion booked, I did get a page that says your order was cancelled successfully,  did you get an email for the cancellation? and did it still show as one excursion booked on the website?

Yes, that was how my screen looked. I think I logged out and logged back in and it showed as "no excursions booked." When I look at it now, it is only showing the one excursion. I think it just needs time to clear out. I got a cancellation confirmation  email about 4 hours later. I got a booking confirmation for the "new" excursion almost immediately.

1 minute ago, lab_love123 said:

Yes, that was how my screen looked. I think I logged out and logged back in and it showed as "no excursions booked." When I look at it now, it is only showing the one excursion. I think it just needs time to clear out. I got a cancellation confirmation  email about 4 hours later. I got a booking confirmation for the "new" excursion almost immediately.

Great thank you

4 hours ago, tonyhb12 said:

If you open an excursion and click on "Departure Times," it'll give you an idea of how many are left. It shows "Departure Times" on the left and "Tickets Remaining" on the right. It's very vague, says "More than 10" or "Less than 10," but it gives an idea of how close it is to selling out.

2 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

You'd think Carnival is giving away free cruises. If only these same excursions were ever available for cheaper through the exact same providers directly

The sarcasm is strong with this one. But someone beat you to it on page 1. I'll say it again, some people are willing to pay more for the convenience of booking excursions through Carnival and especially for the guarantee that the ship won't leave you if the excursion runs late.

3 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

The sarcasm is strong with this one. But someone beat you to it on page 1. I'll say it again, some people are willing to pay more for the convenience of booking excursions through Carnival and especially for the guarantee that the ship won't leave you if the excursion runs late.

I agree with you most of the time, but with this discount and another 10% off with the way I paid, it was actually lower than the excursion that I was going to book on my own.  Exact same excursion.  I know mine is probably the exception to what you stated, but sometimes it does work out better.  For the record, this is the first Carnival excursion I have booked in my last 9 cruises with them.

22 minutes ago, 1994te said:

I agree with you most of the time, but with this discount and another 10% off with the way I paid, it was actually lower than the excursion that I was going to book on my own.  Exact same excursion.  I know mine is probably the exception to what you stated, but sometimes it does work out better.  For the record, this is the first Carnival excursion I have booked in my last 9 cruises with them.

I was defending booking through Carnival, whereas the other user was basically saying it's not smart to. I know they're often cheaper booked through the independent vendor, but going through Carnival is more worth it to some.

If you don't mind me asking, are you referring to the 10% you also get by using the Carnival MasterCard? Someone else said the email stated that could be combined with this sale. But they weren't sure if the MasterCard would then give 10% credit based off the original excursion price or the discounted sale price. I guess no one will know until they see their MasterCard statement.

2 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I was defending booking through Carnival, whereas the other user was basically saying it's not smart to. I know they're often cheaper booked through the independent vendor, but going through Carnival is more worth it to some.

If you don't mind me asking, are you referring to the 10% you also get by using the Carnival MasterCard? Someone else said the email stated that could be combined with this sale. But they weren't sure if the MasterCard would then give 10% credit based off the original excursion price or the discounted sale price. I guess no one will know until they see their MasterCard statement.

OK.  Misunderstood.  I was referring to the Carnival Mastercard, so I am not sure you could use it in combination.  I believe you can because I don't think Barclay's would have any idea you were booking it reduced.  They just administer the card and give the discount based on the charge being from Carnival Excursions.

36 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I get it. You're going on vacation, and it can seem overwhelming, especially buying excursions out of country. You want one backed by your cruise ship and guarantees you return. Combine with a "one-time" sale and you're going to catch a lot of attention. It's smart marketing.

In most cases, the guarantee is pointless. Few excursions ever exceed 5 hours. Of course you're going to get back in time when the ship sails at 6 and the excursion returns at 2. Not everyone wants to spend their vacation working on someone else's schedule though. The people who miss the boat are generally those who self-inflict that scenario. The vendors know when to get you back.

The tax day sales are designed to get everyone to blow their returns with perceived savings. It's like by me when stores sell things tax-free (8% off) and you'd think the store is giving away everything free. People will stock up on everything they can get, because it will never be that cheap again. Meanwhile, when they run 10% off, no one is interested. This can definitely be a great deal to some, but people definitely go overboard with these types of things.

16 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I get it. You're going on vacation, and it can seem overwhelming, especially buying excursions out of country. You want one backed by your cruise ship and guarantees you return. Combine with a "one-time" sale and you're going to catch a lot of attention. It's smart marketing.

In most cases, the guarantee is pointless. Few excursions ever exceed 5 hours. Of course you're going to get back in time when the ship sails at 6 and the excursion returns at 2. Not everyone wants to spend their vacation working on someone else's schedule though. The people who miss the boat are generally those who self-inflict that scenario. The vendors know when to get you back.

The tax day sales are designed to get everyone to blow their returns with perceived savings. It's like by me when stores sell things tax-free (8% off) and you'd think the store is giving away everything free. People will stock up on everything they can get, because it will never be that cheap again. Meanwhile, when they run 10% off, no one is interested. This can definitely be a great deal to some, but people definitely go overboard with these types of things.

Why does it matter how other people book their excursions?  I imagine it has little to no impact on you. If people want to spend their own money booking higher priced ship-excursions, for whatever reason, why does that bother you?

Further, if they choose to be excited over 10% off, that's their (our) prerogative, whether or not you think it's frivolous. In fact, when I saw and took advantage of that 10% off, I never once thought to myself, "Hmm. Better not. Joebucks will think poorly of my choices."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

For those who've booked a cruise far enough out, I'm sure there will be more excursion sales to come. Seasonal sales, holiday sales, whatever. We're not booked till next March, so I'm confident there will be others. And yes, it was good marketing. People got their tax refunds, Carnival wants a piece of them. If someone likes the deal and is happy with it, that's all that matters.

I'm just shocked it overloaded their website as bad as it did. On second thought...no I'm not.

One of the most common reasons I've seen people say they buy Cheers is for convenience. They know full well that they aren't going to drink enough to break even, but they want the peace of mind of not worrying about a bill afterwards. I think many people who book Carnival excursions feel similarly. It's a convenient one-stop-shop worth paying extra for that gives them peace of mind. I'll tell people about booking independently just to let them know it's often cheaper, but what they do from there is no concern of mine.

Folks should be aware, if you cancel a cruise to repurchase it with the tax day discount, if you originally bought it with a carnival gift card, you get refunded with a new card that takes 10-14 days to receive from carnival.

That figures - we just booked last week.  I'm scared to cancel & re-book since there are nine of us.  I'm afraid it would be sold out before I could get everybody back in.  Oh well, at least we got the 10% off from mastercard.

Of course; just under 2.5 hours to go and I get:

"MAKING MORE FUN, COME BACK LATER

Right now we’re working on some improvements to cruise booking, so you temporarily won’t be able to make a new booking, make changes to an existing one, or check-in for a cruise online. Check back a little bit later — we’re scheduled to be done by today at 1 p.m. Eastern.

The rest of carnival.com is working, so feel free to explore away! Or visit us on social media… any of these will do:"

On 4/14/2019 at 6:24 PM, Yuridog said:

I guess their email must have worked, because their site is overloaded right now.  I'm getting the Making More Fun, Come Back Later message.

Still down now I tried it 30 minutes ago.no big deal I never book through the ship anyway the excursion I did book in carnival was only $19 a person anyway.i did need to secure 3 more spots though for the grandsons.

1 hour ago, scpirate said:

Still down now I tried it 30 minutes ago.no big deal I never book through the ship anyway the excursion I did book in carnival was only $19 a person anyway.i did need to secure 3 more spots though for the grandsons.