Anchorage, Alaska

The Tsar

Over a half a century ago, I was stationed and married in Anchorage (Fort Richardson), Alaska.  Finally this year, my Wife and I will be returning for the first time on a Holland America (Maasdam) cruise on 6 June 2019.  

We would like to spend the day in Anchorage, simply reminiscing and touring the area in a Rental Vehicle.  I am sure that everything has changed, since we were there prior to the Earthquake of 1964.  It appears that Rental Vehicles are available either at the Airport or downtown Anchorage.  Does anyone know exactly where HAL docks their ships, while visiting this port?

Any information regarding the HAL docking facilities and/or Rental Vehicles would be greatly appreciated.

Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions?

The Maasdam will be in the Port of Anchorage and passengers will be bussed downtown to the visitor’s center area around Egan Center.  You cannot walk around at the port.  You will want to check on rental agencies downtown.  We have rented from Avis twice but there are others within walking distaance.  You should be able to find a list of rental agencies through AAA or your Big Box Store.  I think there is another dealer near the Captain Cook hotel.  Cars will be more expensive at the airport.  You need to get the car reserved now.

The ship is in port from 8-5 so be sure to plan for time to return the car, walk back to the meeting place for the bus and to be back to the ship by all aboard time which will probably be 4:30.   Have a wonderful day in Anchorage.  Yes, it has changed!  There is a lot more traffic!

We recently booked the Maasdam May 28 cruise. We have sailed the 14 day itinerary into the port of Anchorage a couple of times and really enjoy the less visited ports.  I was surprised that we are only in port until 5 in Anchorage but the ship sails with the tides.

You could probably specify a return car time as 4 and plan to have it back by 3.  Driving in Anchorage can be challenging with one way streets and lots of traffic.  We like to drive down Turnagain Arm but I know you will have special places you want to visit!

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

We recently booked the Maasdam May 28 cruise. We have sailed the 14 day itinerary into the port of Anchorage a couple of times and really enjoy the less visited ports.  I was surprised that we are only in port until 5 in Anchorage but the ship sails with the tides.

You could probably specify a return car time as 4 and plan to have it back by 3.  Driving in Anchorage can be challenging with one way streets and lots of traffic.  We like to drive down Turnagain Arm but I know you will have special places you want to visit!

We are on the Sept sailing and are in port until 9 PM (from 8 AM)!

4 hours ago, The Tsar said:

Over a half a century ago, I was stationed and married in Anchorage (Fort Richardson), Alaska.  Finally this year, my Wife and I will be returning for the first time on a Holland America (Maasdam) cruise on 6 June 2019.  

We would like to spend the day in Anchorage, simply reminiscing and touring the area in a Rental Vehicle.  I am sure that everything has changed, since we were there prior to the Earthquake of 1964.  It appears that Rental Vehicles are available either at the Airport or downtown Anchorage.  Does anyone know exactly where HAL docks their ships, while visiting this port?

Any information regarding the HAL docking facilities and/or Rental Vehicles would be greatly appreciated.

Check out the enclosed PDF/aerial of the Port of Anchorage, AK. As has been stated, it's a commercial port without any facilities (cruise terminal) for cruise ships. On the aerial, there is a cruise ship moored alongside the pier to the right of the commercial vessel. Cruise ships go alongside at berth #2. Be aware that the port is subject to extreme tidal swings which can play havoc with angle of the gangway. There is a complimentary bus that will drop you off in close vicinity of the 5th Avenue shopping mall. Not sure where you're downtown rental agency is, but should get you in the right direction. Thanks for serving! :classic_smile:

https://www.portofalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/portofanchorage.pdf

Edited by Copper10-8

10 hours ago, The Tsar said:

Take a taxi to the car rental agency.  Mum and I took a taxi to downtown as it was too far for her to walk from the HAL drop off point and it was only $15.00

We rented with Avis last year and had the time of our lives!  We booked our cruise within 6 weeks of sailing, and there were no rentals available at the time.  I checked the cancellation policies and when we were at Icy Strait Point, did one last check and sure enough, availability opened up.  We took the shuttle, which dropped us off a couple blocks from Avis.  We got there before they opened and there were a few people in line ahead of us.  Very nice people work there.  I believe they have an after hours drop off if you need it later.

We had the most memorable day, driving the Turnigan Arm, stopping by the Wildlife Conservation Center, and spending time in the gorgeous Portage area of Chugach National Forest.  We wanted to stop by Alyeska, but ran out of time.  It was a highlight!

Happy Sailing!

Edited by syesmar

21 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

We are on the Sept sailing and are in port until 9 PM (from 8 AM)!

I'll be on Amsterdam August 12-26, 2019 - after reading the OPs post I took a look at our itinerary and it has us in Anchorage port until 9 PM as well.  Too bad the OP doesn't have a longer day in his old stomping grounds... 😞