Formal nights

Vampiress88

1 hour ago, Highpeaklad said:

No. Just look at where the ship is going. I had no idea there was such a thing as a dress code. Seems bizarre to me for a floating holiday resort. 

Pando at the moment is not a floating holiday resort, at least on the smaller ships. They are cruise holidays. If you want a floating holiday resort, where the ship is the destination then suggest RC is the way to go.

10 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

docco if you have a low self esteem and feel uncomfortable amongst your fellow cruisers who find it enjoyable to dress up I’m sorry for you,but I am from a working class background made good kind of guy who if my beloved tells me to dress up I do.

A very wise individual to do just as you are told on the sartorial front 😉

If the idea is another dining venue, like the MDR ,that does not have a dress code...where oh where would you put it. Would have to be near a kitchen. Maybe a bit like the tardis..little on the outside, but when you walk in hey presto there is another MDR, ooh and all the people to staff it as well. where will they come from.

10 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Pando at the moment is not a floating holiday resort, at least on the smaller ships. They are cruise holidays. If you want a floating holiday resort, where the ship is the destination then suggest RC is the way to go.

I can speak only for the larger ships these days, but they are very much floating holiday resorts - because that's the market Carnival have identified for their P&O brand.

That suits a lot of people, and provided you know that's what you're getting (bedmaking competitions, for example (!), bingo and gaming machines) it doesn't present any problems.  If you're looking for something a little less tacky, a little more civilised, maybe P&O isn't for you.

4 minutes ago, docco said:

I can speak only for the larger ships these days, but they are very much floating holiday resorts - because that's the market Carnival have identified for their P&O brand.

That suits a lot of people, and provided you know that's what you're getting (bedmaking competitions, for example (!), bingo and gaming machines) it doesn't present any problems.  If you're looking for something a little less tacky, a little more civilised, maybe P&O isn't for you.

Docco  we only cruise on the smaller pando ships..it suits us for the moment. Formal nights and all.

We are debating whether to jump ship..but I really don't want the have a nice day on the American ships. We have tried q.v. on cunard.. didn't enjoy it..so we may be with Fred or Saga.

We do not need to be entertained 24/7, so I have never watched the bed making, or played the slots. 

32 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

What should hubby wear????

Dark suit, white shirt, dark tie, black/dark shoes for formal, smart dark jeans (not dirty, scruffy, faded, holed!) casual open necked shirt, loafers, or smartish shoes and maybe a jacket would be fine for informal dining.

What I don't think people should wear for informal dining evenings is scruffy jeans, dirty trainers and a t-shirt. That's just my personal opinion because I think it looks awful.

• Like 1

I always think smart causal is always hard to get right.  Especially for men, they seem to focus on the casual, where as women tend to focus on the smart.

The problem is that it’s all open too so much self interpretation, based on life experiences, which means one persons view of smart casual is very different to another’s 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, docco said:

Anyone remember those halcyon days when nobody ever needed to ask questions like this.

Everyone knew exactly how to dress and they didn't need diktats from American owned cruise companies or anyone else.

Ah but Docco was that “people trying to pretend that they're something which they're not”?

16 minutes ago, Ali-W said:

I always think smart causal is always hard to get right.  Especially for men, they seem to focus on the casual, where as women tend to focus on the smart.

The problem is that it’s all open too so much self interpretation, based on life experiences, which means one persons view of smart casual is very different to another’s 

Actually, I think the individual interpretation is one of the joys of cruising - I love seeing what everyone is wearing each night. There's such a wide variety of clothes available and the people watching aspect is endlessly entertaining.

For smart casual, I might wear a floral dress or a nice top and trousers. I think the main thing is that the individual feels comfortable in their clothing.  

8 minutes ago, docco said:

Anyone remember those halcyon days when nobody ever needed to ask questions like this.

Everyone knew exactly how to dress and they didn't need diktats from American owned cruise companies or anyone else.

No, before my time. I started cruising in 2001 and I didn't mysteriously 'know' how to dress for the evenings on a cruise.  It took a lot of study of cruise brochures to get inspiration. 

38 minutes ago, booksurfer said:

Dark suit, white shirt, dark tie, black/dark shoes for formal, smart dark jeans (not dirty, scruffy, faded, holed!) casual open necked shirt, loafers, or smartish shoes and maybe a jacket would be fine for informal dining.

What I don't think people should wear for informal dining evenings is scruffy jeans, dirty trainers and a t-shirt. That's just my personal opinion because I think it looks awful.

He has for example a shirt like this has it half open and wears a t-***** underneath with smart jeans and boots. Has lots of checked shirts in red and blue too. Some long some short sleeves but he thinks these won’t be appropriate 

D2799083-193B-4600-B0C4-F1C458983420.png

7 minutes ago, docco said:

Yes indeed, but times change, don't they? With the cost of a cruise now opened up to most of the population it seems some Cruise companies need to specify exactly what the correct form of dress is to those who don't appear to know how to present themselves at dinner! You can argue the rights or wrongs of that until the cows come home, that's just the way it is.

Just now, Vampiress88 said:

He has for example a shirt like this has it half open and wears a t-***** underneath with smart jeans and boots. Has lots of checked shirts in red and blue too. Some long some short sleeves but he thinks these won’t be appropriate.

I think for casual dining that would fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, booksurfer said:

I think for casual dining that would fine.

I think if he forgoes the t-shirt and buttons it up with either black trousers or dark jeans and boots should be fine. 

I would have thought the casual was basically what you would wear when you went to the pub or meal out etc but something like leggings or t-shirts that are acceptable to me might not be acceptable to others and to be respectful and not stick out like a sore thumb I’d rather try and get it right. 

Don't worry too much Vampiress.

You sound like you are putting in a lot of thought - like you say, wear what you might wear to go to a restaurant and you won't go far wrong.

Personally, if you wore leggings with a nice pair of sandals and a pretty top, I would say that would be totally suitable and age appropriate for a smart casual night.  

• Like 2

My hubby wore collared shirts with black/dark jeans for smart casual nights. 

I think you’re worrying too much about this - there were people wearing normal T-shirts and blue jeans some nights. I thought they looked a little too casual personally, but each to their own.

Edited by arendale1

Leaving aside the archaic nature of formal nights for a moment, I object more to the number of people in the buffet wearing swimming costumes or - God forbid - going shirtless. There is a clear rule that this is not allowed but rarely have I seen it enforced. I am not blessed with the body of Adonis and so are few others - please cover up!

1 minute ago, vwgolf said:

Leaving aside the archaic nature of formal nights for a moment, I object more to the number of people in the buffet wearing swimming costumes or - God forbid - going shirtless. There is a clear rule that this is not allowed but rarely have I seen it enforced. I am not blessed with the body of Adonis and so are few others - please cover up!

Dont they have pool side eats for this?

7 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

We have been on lots of P&O cruises and can honestly say we have never encountered people in the buffet wearing swimming costumes or shirtless.:classic_ohmy:

Just now, Vampiress88 said:

Dont they have pool side eats for this?

Yes, most (if not all) P&O ships will have a variety of pool side bars that provide fast food type meals such as burger, fries, salad, pizza etc, mostly free, some more upmarket ones may charge. Check which ship you're on and what facilities they have. Very handy if you don't want to go back to the cabin to change for a sit down lunch in the restaurant.

I have to confess I've never tried the buffet, the horror stories I heard from other passengers put me off wanting to eat in the buffet.

I always took my evening meals and lunch in the Main Dining Room as I like more formal dining.