Formal nights

Vampiress88

5 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

We have been on lots of P&O cruises and can honestly say we have never encountered people in the buffet wearing swimming costumes or shirtless.:classic_ohmy:

Then you are indeed fortunate. We seem to witness this on every cruise we go on. Not all the time, I might add, but seeing Mr Blobby without his shirt at the buffet queue is once too often!

7 minutes ago, booksurfer said:

I have to confess I've never tried the buffet, the horror stories I heard from other passengers put me off wanting to eat in the buffet.

Most of which are true, unfortunately. We only use the buffet for lunch or a late night snack. It is best avoided.

8 minutes ago, booksurfer said:

Yes, most (if not all) P&O ships will have a variety of pool side bars that provide fast food type meals such as burger, fries, salad, pizza etc, mostly free, some more upmarket ones may charge. Check which ship you're on and what facilities they have. Very handy if you don't want to go back to the cabin to change for a sit down lunch in the restaurant.

I have to confess I've never tried the buffet, the horror stories I heard from other passengers put me off wanting to eat in the buffet.

I always took my evening meals and lunch in the Main Dining Room as I like more formal dining.

The buffet is somewhere we tend to avoid. 

We ventured in one day last week to see what was on offer. Walked out with nothing and almost injured after a very rude ‘lady’ decided she was too important to wait in line, so decided to put her arm in between us to grab some gravy, just missing my arm when she spilt some. We walked out and never went back 😕

I don’t mind formal nights, but it would be nice to have one of the restaurants left as smart casual on those nights for those who don’t want to dress up. The buffet is not an alternative imo.

Whilst not strictly related to dress code, it's worth mentioning an early lesson I learnt at my first morning breakfast. I ordered eggs benedict and when it came it was one poached egg on a muffin. I looked over at the chap opposite me who had two poached eggs on two muffins! I said, how come I only get one and you got two? He said '...because I asked for two'! Lesson learnt! Ask for what you want. Want two main courses at dinner - ask for them. Want two starters at dinner - ask for them. Want three rashers of bacon at breakfast - ask for them! The waiters are more than happy to oblige.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vwgolf said:

Leaving aside the archaic nature of formal nights for a moment, I object more to the number of people in the buffet wearing swimming costumes or - God forbid - going shirtless. There is a clear rule that this is not allowed but rarely have I seen it enforced. I am not blessed with the body of Adonis and so are few others - please cover up!

Totally with you on this. I don't like formal nights - but equally well I do like people to be wearing reasonably smart and tidy clothes.  Pure prejudice, obviously, but I expect certain standards in any restaurant.

Just another indication, I'm afraid, of the changing clientele of P&O.

10 minutes ago, arendale1 said:

I don’t mind formal nights, but it would be nice to have one of the restaurants left as smart casual on those nights for those who don’t want to dress up. The buffet is not an alternative imo.

Wholeheartedly agree with that. And it would probably defuse the whole debate - why should people choosing not to wear fancy dress be forced to eat in the hell that is the buffet if they choose not to pay extra for one of the other venues?

3 minutes ago, docco said:

Wholeheartedly agree with that. And it would probably defuse the whole debate - why should people choosing not to wear fancy dress be forced to eat in the hell that is the buffet if they choose not to pay extra for one of the other venues?

Has the buffet gone bad or summat cos we used that nearly every night back in 2012 and I thought it was ok. But then again I’m not upper class so not rite bothered about fancy meals. 

Do wanna go for breakfast though. Really wanna try the kedgeree. 

Least if you lot not in the buffet there’s table for me 😂

As I have never been to a buffet on a cruise I get the impression from some on here it’s either the food is horrendous,or the class of fellow cruisers does not come up to there own impeccable standards.

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

Has the buffet gone bad or summat cos we used that nearly every night back in 2012 and I thought it was ok. But then again I’m not upper class so not rite bothered about fancy meals. 

I heard a lot of negative comments on this forum before my cruise on Ventura last year and was very nervous about using it. I needn’t have been as I used it every morning for breakfast and found the quality of the food excellent. Yes, it did get busy when it first opened, but grab a cuppa and sit out by the pool until the initial rush dies down, and I’m sure you will enjoy it (don’t worry, they won’t run out of food!)

Les.

13 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

The food's still very good.  The staff are impeccable.  The environment's not fantastic, but it's OK for what it is.

The problem, though, is the customers and their appalling behaviour to each other and to the staff. And I'm not overkeen on such horrendous displays of sheer gluttony.

1 minute ago, Bazrat said:

As I have never been to a buffet on a cruise I get the impression from some on here it’s either the food is horrendous,or the class of fellow cruisers does not come up to there own impeccable standards.

“class of fellow cruisers does not come up to there own impeccable standards.”

😂😂😂 that would be us

10 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

We eat in the MDR in the evenings but do use the buffet during the day.

Using terms like Hell and Horror stories is a bit over the top in my opinion.

You will be fine.

Enjoy.

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

😂😂😂 that would be us

Class is about how people conduct themselves imo.

Are you rude and ignorant? No? Then that would not be you 🙂

Manners cost nothing. I don’t care what someone earns or their so called status in life. A rude person is rude however much money they do or don’t have in the bank, or whether they are a doctor or a supermarket checkout operator. Give me fellow passengers who are respectful of others and I’m happy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arendale1 said:

Class is about how people conduct themselves imo.

Are you rude and ignorant? No? Then that would not be you 🙂

Manners cost nothing. I don’t care what someone earns or their so called status in life. A rude person is rude however much money they do or don’t have in the bank, or whether they are a doctor or a supermarket checkout operator. Give me fellow passengers who are respectful of others and I’m happy.

I’m generally very nice unless someone does something or says something to me or about my kids then I would probably be rude. 

I agree manners don’t cost anything. 

Was annoyed the other day when my 4 year old held a gate open at school for a woman and she swanned through without a thank you. I bit my tongue though that time. Stuff like that winds me up. Especially when you try to teach kids to be good with things like that and to say thank you if people let you pass etc and my kids usually remember but some people are just obliviously rude and sometimes I can just hold my tongue but if they said something horrid especially about kids like I’ve heard people say in past about other people’s kids I would really have to say something then. 

31 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

😂😂😂 that would be us

Actually, no it wouldn’t. This discussion has nothing whatever to do with so-called ‘class’. It has everything to do with appropriate behaviour.

And your questions in this forum show very clearly that behaving appropriately is important to you. 

You’ll be fine. Wear the sensible choices you’ve suggested and you’ll have a great time.  😃

51 minutes ago, docco said:

Actually, no it wouldn’t. This discussion has nothing whatever to do with so-called ‘class’. It has everything to do with appropriate behaviour.

And your questions in this forum show very clearly that behaving appropriately is important to you. 

You’ll be fine. Wear the sensible choices you’ve suggested and you’ll have a great time.  😃

Appropriate behaviour that reminds me of my Sunday school days,always open a door for a lady talk to her face whatever that means,and never ever ask for extras.

2 hours ago, vwgolf said:

Leaving aside the archaic nature of formal nights for a moment, I object more to the number of people in the buffet wearing swimming costumes or - God forbid - going shirtless. There is a clear rule that this is not allowed but rarely have I seen it enforced. I am not blessed with the body of Adonis and so are few others - please cover up!

I, obviously, do have the body of Adonis, but would not dream of flaunting my one pack in the buffet...

Fortunately, I have not seen anybody in swimwear or shirtless in the buffet.

In fact, I have, in general, only encountered nice, respectful people.

We only use the buffet for some breakfast and the occasional lunch but have never found it a scrum at all, on any P&O ship.

Andy

2 hours ago, vwgolf said:

Most of which are true, unfortunately. We only use the buffet for lunch or a late night snack. It is best avoided.

Buffets are not as bad as many think. Rule 1, don't go at busy times when it can be quite literally a bunfight. buffets on P&O are not very inspiring but I found the NCL one better and the buffet on Marella ships can have a surprising variety of food

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I, obviously, do have the body of Adonis, but would not dream of flaunting my one pack in the buffet...

Fortunately, I have not seen anybody in swimwear or shirtless in the buffet.

In fact, I have, in general, only encountered nice, respectful people.

We only use the buffet for some breakfast and the occasional lunch but have never found it a scrum at all, on any P&O ship.

Andy

Actually, to be honest that's been our experience to.

It’s always amused me to read the horror stories about the buffet, from people who ‘never’ go in the buffet, but ‘always’ have bad experiences there.

I’ve nearly always eaten breakfast and lunch in the buffet, and much prefer it. Most mornings, I’ll have muesli and yoghurt and a couple of slices of toast. At lunch time I might have a salad or a couple of rolls filled with ham or cheese, followed by fruit. It’s the best way for me not to overeat. 

In the last last few years I’ve been on a few longer cruises, up to seven weeks. That’s too many evenings to eat a full MDR dinner, so we often went to the buffet in the evenings for something lighter.

As long as you avoid the absolute peak times, it’s not a ‘bun fight’. I think the main problem is other passengers sometimes being so intent on getting their food, they forget their surroundings. I don’t think it’s deliberate rudeness, just a bit of thoughtlessness. 

Some buffets are better laid out that others, like the Horizon on Britannia and Aurora, with lots of spaces between the islands. I haven’t been on Azura or Ventura for  a while, but I remember going through a gate to a small serving area - not so good. 

15 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

He has for example a shirt like this has it half open and wears a t-***** underneath with smart jeans and boots. Has lots of checked shirts in red and blue too. Some long some short sleeves but he thinks these won’t be appropriate 

D2799083-193B-4600-B0C4-F1C458983420.png

I think you're worrying too much.I wear short sleeved shirts all the time,they are smart enough.

8 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

I've often worn short sleeve shirts in the MDR (casual night), and the occaisonal Fred Perry as well.

To be honest, if a long sleeve is too warm in the MDR, I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid if sleeves got rolled up.

Likewise. T-shirts are maybe a step too far, but a decent short-sleeved shirt is perfectly acceptable, and very common.