october 16, 2020 cruise cancelled disappointed

cruisehome

On 4/19/2019 at 12:50 PM, BBsails said:

We have not ever had a cruise ripped out from under us.  Did have one on day 2 of a 15 day cruise announce that we would not  visit any of the 3 ports in Mexico.  This was 2009 after the H1N1 health threat.  Hard to argue about that though.  Went to San Diego for 1/2 day, Catalena Island for day and arrived in San Francisco a day early and got to tour SF and then sleep onboard before disembarking on our scheduled day.

We were on that cruise too, Sam.  Very disappointing to miss the Mexico ports.  The H1N1 threat eventually turned out to be of little consequence.  Our overnight in SF was magical though, warm and clear with a full moon.  Unusually good weather for San Francisco. 

We were in Riviera Maya at a resort during the H1N1. The outbreak happened literally 3 days before we were supposed to fly down there for our vacation. My wife and I seriously considered cancelling. But didnt because we figured we would get it at home at some point anyways. 

The trip was by far the best land based vacation we have ever had. There were like 8 people on the plane down there. And we basically had the entire resort to ourselves. One funny thing is on the way back when we landed at BWI they quarantined the entire flight. There were doctors and nurses dressed in full hazmat suits poking and prodding us. They asked how I felt and I said other than one of the worst hangovers of my life I felt great!

12 hours ago, cruisehome said:

thank god for the agent helping me straighten out the mess celebrity made in cancelling my cruise

I did not want to go on the cruises they offered in place of the one I was scheduled on.  the booking got cancelled - don't know by who   so they did not want to give me the $200 obc that I was entitled to for booking on board nor the obc offered for booking the new cruise.   the agent argued and argued with them and finally got both   but said I could not ask for any price reductions in the future if the price of the cruise goes down

I am really really disappointed in celebrity  I have sailed with them many many times  you would think they would do what they could to accommodate passengers -    what a mess and not my fault

I am thoroughly upset with them    …...maybe time to go back to another line after this    too bad - they don't care..

So I am curious about what cruises that they offered you.  How many did they offer?  Were they at the exact same time to a similar location?  The cruise that you did book how different time wise was it?    How long between when you first contacted your TA until your rebooking?  Just trying to see how flexible these offers are.

Some cruisers do well on their bookings after being bumped.  So bottom line are you happy with the new booking or not? 

15 hours ago, richstowe said:

Is it possible that you don't book waaaaay ahead . I'm assuming the vast majority of cancelled for charters cruises are done over a year ahead . 

We've never booked a year ahead.  I don't know that I have my info from our past cruises, so can't say for sure how far out we book.  But I'd guess 6-9 months.  We've done most of our cruises on Princess (31) with 11 on Celebrity.  Perhaps this happens more often on Celebrity than Princess?  Or on smaller ships than we usually sail on.  Can't imagine a group chartering an entire ship unless it's under 2,000 pax.  The groups we have encountered on our Princess cruises were probably in the "less than 1,000" category, probably 500 or less.  The only way we've usually known there was a large group onboard was their table/info board in the atrium.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:53 PM, cruisehome said:

was scheduled to go on the equinox 10/16/20 cruise and was told it was overtaken by a group

what a bummer.  anyone else.

We had two cruises in 2015 booked that went Around Japan.   Both were cancelled.   For one, the Century, it was to be sold, so we wound up going from Singapore to Dubai instead (one of the options we picked).  The second one was cancelled due to charter.  Lots of Japan cruises are chartered.  Fortunately, we picked up the Japan and China cruise that did include ports in Japan.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:19 AM, happy cruzer said:

So I am curious about what cruises that they offered you.  How many did they offer?  Were they at the exact same time to a similar location?  The cruise that you did book how different time wise was it?    How long between when you first contacted your TA until your rebooking?  Just trying to see how flexible these offers are.

Some cruisers do well on their bookings after being bumped.  So bottom line are you happy with the new booking or not? 

Found your answer in the roll calls posted it here at the end of this post, thanks for answering.  Is the difference you had to pay total or per person?  Seems really strange that they could not give you the same perks and cabin category?  Thanks for the report.

someone asked a question about what celebrity had offered me when they cancelled m;y cruise - sorry I don't see the post   but to answer   they offered me a coupe of seven day cruises   and one 11 day cruise that has basically the same islands as we are going on on this cruise in oct.  the cruise that was cancelled was going to the ABC islands    the cruise I did not finally book is going to the ABC islands Nov 2   they would not price protect on this cruise.    oh well   tired of complaining

the agent that is working for me did a great job  and I am only ending up paying about$500 more but at least I am going on the cruise I want.

thanks carol

• 2 weeks later...

would love to know who the charter is.

yes I am happy with new cruise but not how it was handled.  It is done and over now but wanted to answer back.

This cruise is a long way off so who knows what will happen between now and then

On 4/23/2019 at 8:58 AM, lkneller said:

Sorry this happened to you.  I know how disappointing this is when it happens.  There is a chance that your replacement cruise with be even better.  that was the case when it happened to me.  wishing you an even better cruise!

We've sailed on nearly 60 cruises, mostly with Princess and Celebrity but also a few times each with Carnival, Holland, NCL and RCCL.  Of all these cruises, Celebrity had drastically changed the itinerary on one of these sailings and chartered out two of them.  In each instance, we've taken their alternative offers and came out smelling like a rose!  I actually wish I knew which ones they will charter out so we can get the deals they offer for canceling the itinerary we originally booked. 

Only one other cruiseline, NCL, has canceled a cruise that I had booked and they only offered me $25 in compensation if I changed my itinerary (from Alaska to Cuba)!  At least Celebrity is much more generous with their compensation and offers.  

But, I can also understand how it is a disappointment for some, especially if a lot of planning went into a cruise for a special occasion.  

We are very flexible and go with the flow ... it's worked out well for us with Celebrity thus far.