O Life air fare

dockgirl

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I ( unfortunately) flew a direct one stop flight last Fall on AA. That flight was PHL-CLT-BNA. We changed planes in CLT. The plane we were on was emptied and then went to DFW. We reboarded a different plane onto BNA. One flight number direct. 

Not to argue with your experience as I wasn’t there but I looked up flights from PHL to BNA with AA on a random date in the future (3/5/20) on ITA.

This is what I got:

1 SIX different NONSTOP flights from PHL to BNA (I wonder why you didn’t take those)

2 TWELVE flights connecting in CLT requiring a plane change and not ONE of them with the same flight number on both segments

Your experience must have been unique and the exception rather than the rule.

PS For a random date in Oct ‘19 the numbers were 6 & 8 resp. But otherwise same (no same flight number on connecting flights in CLT)

Edited by Paulchili

This got a little long ...

We usually book our own air, but occasionally we have used O's.  The last time we took a PE upgrade (SAS to Copenhagen, BA back to JFK).  Back then the price was much less than it is now, this was in July 2016 -- service and seats were fine.  Then again, we flew out of NYC.

Earlier the OP (I think it was the OP) said if O's rebate was $1600 (s)he'd know what to do.  But in our experience it is many years since the rebates were that generous.  In O's early days it was easy to get a rebate that was more than what we found on our own, so that was an easy decision.  That is no longer the case -- at least it hasn't been when I have checked on fares for quite a few years now.

Since we decided several years ago that at our ages we had an intolerance for tight pitch and narrow seats in coach, we switched to business for long flights (which we define as NY to Europe) -- and we pay what we pay.  The one exception was that good deal on the July 2016 PE upgrade.  I don't know that I would pay the current rate for the upgrade given the many comments I have seen that most PE seats are not at all a real upgrade.  But on SAS and BA we were pleased with the seats AND the service.

A few years earlier we did PE on Air France (NY to Paris and back) which was very good, although we found the food on other airlines better than on Air France.  THAT we did not expect!

For the record, I will book coach for a short flight, which I define as 3 hours or less.  But on longer flights, I need more room!

We all need to do our research, don't we?  For people who aren't at gateway airports, "free" air becomes more expensive, which is another reason to do research.

In Renaissance days I was quickly turned away from "free air" in talking with other passengers (especially those who were further west than the east coast but not only those people) when hearing the routings.  I don't recall if they charged for deviations back then but I'm sure Frank del Rio could tell us!  Anyway, there were some horrific stories of long delays and longer flights, on routes that were easily non-stop.  Routing on Oceania has seemed (to the extent I've looked into it or read comments here at CC) far better in that respect.  But there are always exceptions!

Also regarding Renaissance, we only had three cruises with them BUT they included free stays at 5* hotels for higher cabin levels (not only suites).  On our first and third cruises we were in what Oceania categorizes as an "A" cabin and we had 2 days in the hotels on both ends.  On the second we were in what Oceania calls a PH and we had 3 days in the hotels. 

Given those "free" hotels in hotels far better than we would have booked for ourselves, we didn't mind paying our own air ... which back then was much less than it is today.

In many ways I miss Ren, but ... Oceania has been a superior experience!

Mura

P.S.  I will add that when we booked that first Ren Cruise (Lisbon-Barcelona on the R2, now Regatta) we already had booked air to Milan for the exact same time frame, so we just changed the dates and instead of Milan went to Lisbon.  It was a no-brainer to change the air rather than cancel the flight ... which leads to a longer story that I will not relate here!  If you are curious (if you have read this far!), email me.  See below.

Paul;

We were coming back from FCO via PHL with an afternoon arrival. We were originally booked on a nonstop PHL- BNA. It was on a Saturday and AA cancelled the early evening nonstop on Saturdays across the board on around 11/1 and put us on what was called a one stop direct flight through CHL. They made this move about 6 weeks before the flight and about 3 weeks before we left going over the pond!

Hopefully, they are not doing that plane change anymore! We were already getting back into Nashville several hours later than originally booked and we were exhausted. If that plane change was the only option I would fly a different airlines. At the time I checked to see if we couldn’t just stay until Sunday and depart FCO and get the nonstop on Sunday. BC FCO- PHL was sold out for that day making a stop at LHR necessary which put us back to late for the nonstop!

The entire matter was something AA wouldn’t have done in the past, but it was very US Air-ish. That merger has been the pits for we old line AA customers.

Edited by pinotlover

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

That merger has been the pits for we old line AA customers.

I will definitely second that!

Despite my LT Plat with AA I pretty much stopped flying them since the merger 😥

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mura said:

This got a little long ...

We usually book our own air, but occasionally we have used O's.  The last time we took a PE upgrade (SAS to Copenhagen, BA back to JFK).  Back then the price was much less than it is now, this was in July 2016 -- service and seats were fine.  Then again, we flew out of NYC.

Earlier the OP (I think it was the OP) said if O's rebate was $1600 (s)he'd know what to do.  But in our experience it is many years since the rebates were that generous.  In O's early days it was easy to get a rebate that was more than what we found on our own, so that was an easy decision.  That is no longer the case -- at least it hasn't been when I have checked on fares for quite a few years now.

Since we decided several years ago that at our ages we had an intolerance for tight pitch and narrow seats in coach, we switched to business for long flights (which we define as NY to Europe) -- and we pay what we pay.  The one exception was that good deal on the July 2016 PE upgrade.  I don't know that I would pay the current rate for the upgrade given the many comments I have seen that most PE seats are not at all a real upgrade.  But on SAS and BA we were pleased with the seats AND the service.

A few years earlier we did PE on Air France (NY to Paris and back) which was very good, although we found the food on other airlines better than on Air France.  THAT we did not expect!

For the record, I will book coach for a short flight, which I define as 3 hours or less.  But on longer flights, I need more room!

We all need to do our research, don't we?  For people who aren't at gateway airports, "free" air becomes more expensive, which is another reason to do research.

In Renaissance days I was quickly turned away from "free air" in talking with other passengers (especially those who were further west than the east coast but not only those people) when hearing the routings.  I don't recall if they charged for deviations back then but I'm sure Frank del Rio could tell us!  Anyway, there were some horrific stories of long delays and longer flights, on routes that were easily non-stop.  Routing on Oceania has seemed (to the extent I've looked into it or read comments here at CC) far better in that respect.  But there are always exceptions!

Also regarding Renaissance, we only had three cruises with them BUT they included free stays at 5* hotels for higher cabin levels (not only suites).  On our first and third cruises we were in what Oceania categorizes as an "A" cabin and we had 2 days in the hotels on both ends.  On the second we were in what Oceania calls a PH and we had 3 days in the hotels. 

Given those "free" hotels in hotels far better than we would have booked for ourselves, we didn't mind paying our own air ... which back then was much less than it is today.

In many ways I miss Ren, but ... Oceania has been a superior experience!

Mura

P.S.  I will add that when we booked that first Ren Cruise (Lisbon-Barcelona on the R2, now Regatta) we already had booked air to Milan for the exact same time frame, so we just changed the dates and instead of Milan went to Lisbon.  It was a no-brainer to change the air rather than cancel the flight ... which leads to a longer story that I will not relate here!  If you are curious (if you have read this far!), email me.  See below.

Murna     I am with you 200%   if you need Business from NY.... for a 6 to 7 hour flight...Just think of us here in the west coast who have 11 to 12.5 hour  flights to Europe..    Business in not a option  it is a basic minimum if you value health and your sanity  ....  

Flying to Miami from LA I go coach because it is really a 3 hour flight + 2 hour connection+ a 2 hour flight it would be a waste to pay or use miles for any upgrade.   

I agree that Prem Economy is glorified coach and not worth it  you get a fancy coach seat free booze and better food..   marginal recline  marginal more  pitch.. and high prices

Since most airlines are eliminating first class  to keep the 3 class system alive its no Business/First..Prem Economy  / Economy plus/ and Spanish inquisition style  ultra economy coach. with 28 inch pitch.

Domestic First class is alive as a glorified economy plus seat.. 2 -3 more inches of pitch and recline.  ...Whoopie  First class/ business in europe is even worse.... its regular coach seats with the middle seat  vacant.... ( Lufthansa,  Swiss etc)   

I need Business...  it is not a luxury  when you have birth day disease....DSC00369-1.jpg.be25d22fc5f97608c316324a2ddff651.jpg

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I will definitely second that!

Despite my LT Plat with AA I pretty much stopped flying them since the merger 😥

My last AA flight was a paid F   Mia to LAX  non stop...   Plane 1 hour late departing,  No welcoming drink till 1.5 hours after we boarded,  Only enough meals for 1/2 the First passengers... Only one pass for drinks or even water on a 6 hour ride from hell.. IFE was broken,  When  asked if they could help fix it...  NO.. its your porblem  On arrival LAX  we were sent to one place for bags...  bags were sent to another and mixed in with 4 other flights, 45 min after landing.....  American... IS  something special in the Air... offering an experience just shy of a root canal or colonoscopy.    Their cabin crew up holds their values....do unto others.250px-Snowwhite-creencaps.com-8944.jpg.9645095af4163f5478c054156c6c042f.jpg

6 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Many other lines do not charge an air deviation fee for cruise air.  Some allow you to see the fares they offer online at time of booking.  Just FYI.

A big difference is that other cruise lines that sell their air and not include it like O does.   Really doesn't matter what O pays for the air as it is included in the full price you pay.  If you want to know how much they will credit you for not taking the air simply do a pretend booking with and without air and the difference is the air credit.

Remember, because the air is included for all US customers, it is NOT specific to your location.  The air credit is identical for all US customers as no matter if you are leaving from the east coast, west coast or points in between the inclusion is identical.  Only place there is a possible additional charge is for deviations and they will tell you that before you spend an additional penny as you have to agree to a deviation before you are charged and if you don't agree, you go with the included air or take the credit that you can easily determine on your own.

Charging a deviation fee from other lines is a non-issue as they don't include the air in the cruise price like O so whatever they charge for the air includes any additional costs.   Totally different when air is included vs. when you pay for the air with other lines so your post is a non-issue.

Rallydave your comments are accurate.

If one always books to arrive early then the air deviation is a factor and has to be added when pricing the cruise with air.  On the Carnival Corps' lines including Seabourn the air is typically the same rate (good IMHO) whether arriving 4, 3, 2, 1 day before or day of with no dev fee.  On Princess, you can look online at the rates and change daily if you like until 45 days.  To some this matters to others having the rate included and dealing with "someone" to find out what is available is acceptable.

But you are right it is not the same.