LIVE Millennium BKB Transpacific and Alaska 04/27/19

h20cruzer

Someone is reporting that the limits for the beverage packages on the Solstice were upped (Classic- $11 and Premium- $15.50). Anything similar on the Millennium? We have the classic package this summer. 

21 hours ago, musik07 said:

Someone is reporting that the limits for the beverage packages on the Solstice were upped (Classic- $11 and Premium- $15.50). Anything similar on the Millennium? We have the classic package this summer. 

Haven’t seen anything, I will ask tonight when I go to the bar.

May 16, Thursday at sea and Hubbard glacier.

Last full day of the cruise.

What a magnificent day I was up at 6am so I could watch the Sail in to the glacier the scenery is spectacular.

The captain  was able to get very close to the glacier only 700 meters!!!

We arrange to glacier about 8 AM this morning give or take a few minutes most people are out on deck I stayed on my balcony. They had drinks 50% off but you had to purchase out on the open decks.

daily’s to follow

• Like 1

Hi Norma,

I am sure you have already answered this but I cannot find the answer.  What type of camera and lens were you using to take your Alaska pictures?

Also, did the ship ever serve crab legs or could you only get that in port?

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 7:00 PM, Denny01 said:

We booked this itinerary for Apr 25th 2021, yup two years from now. Going to really enjoy reading this thread! Always wanted to do a bit of Japan touring, but didn’t want to do the 20+ hr over and then back. This way, we’ll go over a week or so before and fly back from Vancouver. Neat!

Den

We booked it too

Saturday May 25.... 

Sorry for not finishing my thoughts earlier. Once I returned home I became very ill. Fever, cold, cough diarrhea ect, you get the drift. Today is the first day I feel like I am among the living.  Thank God for my daughter who took care of me.  I am not 100% but certainly on my way to recovering.

Last morning on the ship I had to be at my assigned meeting place at 5:50am, way to early for me. 

The train was great lots of beautiful scenery. The also have a food and drink menu. The train pulls right into the airport so there are no worries about getting from the train to the airport, so so convenient.

For some reason my picture have not loaded to my laptop from my phone. I will have to move over ther to load the pictures. First picture is the view from my balcony before leaving the ship.

6B7A60B1-F4A4-4550-8A6F-19E2AB37D6F3.jpeg

0EE18B4C-76C6-48DF-BE9B-F8104DD53D66.jpeg

3FB596F3-A542-4710-B0D7-817AFE8AA969.jpeg

237BFF49-83CF-4F2F-9776-8B8BA9B05C17.jpeg

92A3098C-8FD3-48A5-8D91-ABAC6E1DC012.jpeg

6539C084-DCE2-4C92-A5F0-4BAA253B406F.jpeg

E952C075-62BD-4D14-90FD-7721B15B3CE8.jpeg

DAE45F86-2C44-4EAA-AB09-536D63647DD0.jpeg

Edited by h20cruzer
  • Like 1

Hope you are feeling better! Thank you for the review. We are on the Millennium May 2020 doing the southbound cruise, so I have definitely enjoyed reading your review. And I'm really looking forward to the Martini Bar 😊

Final thoughts!!!

I had a great time on the Millie for a glorious 21 days. 

I sailed the Eclipse for 29 days Nov-Dec 2018 and 7 days on the Equinox in Feb 2019.

I think I am going to bullet point hits and misses. Any questions, just let me know and I will try to answer.

HITS

1.  The staff were exceptional, from bartenders, rooms stewards, waiters and cleaners.

Some shout outs to Ivan, Putra and Tada at the Martini bar. Norman in the Sky lounge. Dawn and Hanna in Cafe Al Bacio, and of course my room steward Jay. Everyone in Sushi on 5, I even wrote down all their names, but the paper evades me at the moment.

2.  New bedding was very good, bed was higher than before which made it easier to get the luggage under.

3. Future cruise desk were friendly and helpful.

4.  Surf internet package worked surprisingly well, no issues on the TP but no reception several places in Alaska.

5. Entertainment was good, however I did not attend the production shows.

6. Select dining on the TP wait time was good, most of the time no waiting o pager.

7. Only speciality dining was Sushi on 5, every meal was terrific and service great.

8.  Room service for a few breakfast and lunch, was good not great usually received within 1/2 hr .

9.  Glad they kept the cotton hand towels in the ladies room.

10. Liked the new seating on the Ocean view cafe.

11. Captains Club host, Gramae I hope I spelled that correct, such a charming guy. I have had him on more than one cruise, always look forward to seeing him

MISSES

1. Food arrived cold in the main dining room in both select dining and assigned seating (the Alaska portion)

Food was sent back countless times. Then they would say be careful the plate is very hot... plate was hot but

food only warm.

Now I don't expect food to be piping hot but have never experienced this before on any Celebrity ship. Even involving the asst maitre d and food continued to be cold, I really wish I knew what the issue was, but it was never resolved. I gave up and went to Sushi on 5 the last night. My waiter from the dining room even came to Sushi on 5 to speak with me. He was very nice and caring but I told him there must be an issue in the kitchen. I did feel bad for him, but I enjoyed my last meal in Sushi on 5.

2. Pastries in Cafe Al Bacio

I have eaten more than my fair share of pastries from Cafe Al Bacio so I am pretty sure I know how they should taste.

There was something off.  All of the cakes has a cornbread consistency to the cake is the best way to describe, not light and fluffy. Some were stale, most wer uneatable. One bite and I was done. So looking forward to my first carrot muffin, again stale. Most of the frosting tasted like crisco and sugar. The choices were very limited and most days only 1 regular cake an one gluten free cate. On the positive this saved me from eating a lot of empty calories. I heard they brought on a new pastry chef in Ketchikan

3. Closet space, or should I say lack of closet space. I get it new designs contemporary furnishings. There is not enough space for 2 people to hang clothes, Even a long dress puddles because of the shelf. On the Alaska portion which I was traveling solo the closet space was sufficient.

4. Several issues I addressed with Celebrity regarding my room for the Alaska portion of the cruise. All issues were resolved however I was very disappointed that I had to bring these things to Celebrity's attention.

Last thought

I met some really great people and a fabulous time at the Martini bar and Sky lounge and Sushi on 5 and lost 2 pounds, who could ask for more than that.  I am booked on the Sept 2020 TP from Vancouver to Toyko on the Eclipse in an Aqua cabin.

I had a great vacation, spending time with my friend Sharon who I have know for 30 plus years. Overall  in a year I probably won't remember the cold food in the dining room or the lack of storage. I will remember the new friends I have made and the staff.

photos below Sushi a hit, pastries not so much.

5269A372-0D60-43F5-AFF4-7E69035C89E2.jpeg

D28773CA-85AC-49BC-A2D2-F8DEEB958185.jpeg

58E5BCC0-0840-4034-A5FF-372B0FBA2347.jpeg

79A36E9D-511B-44BB-BF28-09452359B4F4.jpeg

970C9AA1-9AE9-4381-8A0E-5485D45BF306.jpeg

Edited by h20cruzer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CruzinfromFL said:

Hope you are feeling better! Thank you for the review. We are on the Millennium May 2020 doing the southbound cruise, so I have definitely enjoyed reading your review. And I'm really looking forward to the Martini Bar 😊

You must make friends with the bartenders Ivan, Putra and Tada, they are exceptional.

Norma,

I am glad you are feeling better!  Thank you for all of your pictures and review, we are looking forward to our upcoming cruise.

Your pictures are fantastic!  Were you using your phone or a camera for pictures?  What type of phone or camera?  

Thanks

On 4/28/2019 at 12:20 PM, ThursdaysChild said:

Wow...that closet space is sad.  Norma, I think there is more closet space in the Solo balcony cabins on Anthem.  Where did you and Sharon end up putting your clothes?

We were on the same cruise, absolutely loved it but missed Captain Nikolaus.  We did not find the closet space an issue at all and I always feel we bring way too many clothes!  With no formal nights, long dresses aren’t on my packing list although I do have a couple of long skirts. I bring one suitcase only, as does my husband. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 12:13 AM, h20cruzer said:

Sorry to hear about all your issues boarding, I know that Celebrity was not prepared , it’s a shame it’s not the first time and probably won’t be the last. I heard people stood in line for 2 hours for immigration. 

I am a solo traveler this cruise and I sit in Al Bacio alone, I am very open to sharing a table with others, not so happy about the sleepers or card players ...

I’m not defending Celebrity but we boarded the Royal Princess the following day and it was a nightmare. I heard a lady say if she had to stand in another queue she would shoot herself.  Well....... lucky she said it tongue in cheek, the queues were not finished.  Took forever.

On 5/25/2019 at 5:16 PM, dporter said:

Norma,

I am glad you are feeling better!  Thank you for all of your pictures and review, we are looking forward to our upcoming cruise.

Your pictures are fantastic!  Were you using your phone or a camera for pictures?  What type of phone or camera?  

Thanks

Just using my iphone XS for photo's.  So convenient gave up my 35MM long ago.

1 hour ago, h20cruzer said:

Just using my iphone XS for photo's.  So convenient gave up my 35MM long ago.

Thanks Norma, 

i have an old iPhone o my pictures would never be as nice as yours, maybe I will upgrade.