Carnival Didn't Come Through...Should I Just Let it Go?

texas greeneyes

Why didn't you take care of the cake issue while on board? Why did you wait to write a letter?

I had a dry cleaning problem, they happily reversed the charge, and sent me a platter, delivered by the officer in charge of dry cleaning.

Briefly, the two issues I wanted addressed were ...

Onboard staff should have been advised and the matter put to rest before disembarkation.

According to what you've written CCL did address your issues--just not with the answers you were seeking. You will never recapture the two month's time spent dwelling on the negative side of your cruise. Ask yourself if you can afford to spend even more time on what I would clearly define as an insignificant matter and you'll have answered your own question.

Enjoy the day!

I ordered a valentines day gift to be delivered to the cabin. I wanted it on Valentines days.. and the lady that took the order told me that it will be delivered duirng a 24 hour window... so sometimes that day it will be delivered.

Did you order the cakes online,onboard or over the phone?

online they give you choice of embarkation day and first day. (they are both the same) and the 2nd is is the next day after you get onboard. Some people- first time cruisers-- will look at the next day as the first day

I wouldn't let it go. I would contact my Carnival Cruise Planner and see about getting a discount for my next trip. If they want to offer these cakes and/or other offers, They should comply with your wishes after all you are the one paying for the services. If they cant' perform the offers, Then they shouldn't offer them. It is a very small thing to Carnival, But,It is a big thing to the guests. I have had Two different things like this done and they were both done right and on time and it really added to our trip.

Well, here's my nickel's worth. I would have been extremely irritated with the cake situation. I would have made an attempt to rectify the situation on board, but I would not have invested much of my precious vacation on it. I have waited in line at the purser's desk over similar matters, and have rarely been pleased with the outcome, and usually more aggravated because of the waste of my time. However, I would like to think that when I reached home I would have taken the time to write to the company and advise them of their failure to follow through. I certainly think that a refund of the cake is very reasonable, and a decent company would take care of it immediately. As a consumer, I hate to be taken of advantage of and it's little things like this that cause customers to look elsewhere. I don't think it's about the $30; I think it's the principle. I have learned one thing for sure here today. I will NOT order anything to be delivered to my cabin or dining room on Carnival unless it is face to face. I have read of way too many of these screw ups.

Now, as far as the Excursion situation, I have no idea why the cruise lines think they can sell an excursion and put their name behind it (and in shore talks really, really push their excursions) and when something goes wrong, deny all responsibilty. I would rather take my chances with strangers than take a Ship's excursion. Seems to me the cruise lines are throwing away lots of revenue with repeat customers with this policy.

I am glad that you say these were minor problems on an otherwise great cruise, and that you have kept things in perspective! I'm with you, but at this point it's probably best to move on. Just keep these things in the back of your mind when it's time to book your next cruise, and don't be afraid to look at other cruiselines.

It amazes me that a company will risk the goodwill of a passenger, and all the future dollars they can bring, for a measly $30 refund request. You have to wonder who is manning the help desk at Carnival!

I am leaning this way too, Salty. The OP's request does not seem unreasonable to me in the least.

Why they would deliver a cake to the dinner table to some one who is not there, makes no sense at all? Carnival, you blew it! Not only did you blow it but you didn't use common sense to solve a simple problem.

Now if the table stewart delivered the cake, the solution was simple. Just deduct $30 from the tip. If he knew nothing about it, then it gets a bit more complicated. Unfortunately, this type of situation requires immediate resolution on the ship at that time and not in the mails. I would rule that you passed the point of no return for a misely $30 on a $2,000 cruise that you seemed to enjoy anyway.

Hence the old adage "You can't have your cake and eat it!". Or in your case, "You just can't have any cake!" Period.

Now on to bigger and better things. The court has ruled!

What is a "table stewart?":p

Texas, personally, I would drop it. Not because Carnival didn't screw up, just because life is just too damned short to use up this much negative energy over $30.

But if you've got the time and the will to fight, then keep on trucking. I do think you should at least have been given a 50% refund.

All this over cakes! I would just get over it, there are major problems in life and I wouldnt stew over a couple cakes. As far as a tour operator being rude, it happens. Maybe they were having a bad day with rude customers.

Sometimes its the small things that cause the most aggravation. I ordered a cake usin gonline gifts from Carnival-- the girl never got the cake-- after going back and forth using emails, phone calls and real mail for about 3 months.. for 7.95 it jsut wasnt worth it no more.

I will no longer order through the gift services and will call and speak to a person or wait til onboard.

May I ask what was wrong with the cakes? Did you accept them? Do you eat them? If it was wrong-- you could have refused it

Now I'm a little worried. I just ordered a gift from Carnival's online gift site for my hubby for our anniversary to be in the cabin when we arrive. Do you think it will show? We're talking $30 here and a anniversary surprise for my hubby.

All this over cakes! I would just get over it, there are major problems in life and I wouldnt stew over a couple cakes. As far as a tour operator being rude, it happens. Maybe they were having a bad day with rude customers.

Ahh, but it's not just about a cake. It's about CUSTOMER SERVICE.

And there is a never an excuse for rudeness, whether it's a tour operator or someone posting on the internet.

Although I can understand your disappointment at the first cake you ordered simply saying "happy birthday" rather than having your custom message, it does seem that it was delivered as requested for the birthday celebration and presumably consumed by the group. It seems a small thing to get worked up over as the message did match the occasion (although it wasn't exactly what you desired) and the logistics worked out. I completely agree. Carnival never would have even heard about that small mistake if the other orders had been filled correctly.

According to your review, your family was in receipt of the cakes in the dining room after you had excused yourself early from the meal. I suppose that is technically correct. I left after the dessert orders had been taken but before dessert was served. Again, you don't state whether they were consumed, but I'm presuming from your description that they were. Although they may have been incorrectly delivered, if your sisters had simply pointed out the error and refused them or requested that they be packaged for delivery/transport back to the cabin, there would have been cake for the party. My sisters did not know I had ordered the cakes. How could they know they were being delivered to the wrong place? When they received them, they thought Carnival sent them! The mistake having spoiled the surprise for your sister is surely disappointing but you can't blame Carnival for the fact that your family chose to consume them when delivered.

Really, this just amounts to some small logistical problems on the part of Carnival and, although you were owed an apology and perhaps a little something to make amends for the errors (perhaps you would have received a bottle of champagne or something had your family refused the erroneously delivered cakes in the dining room, giving you a chance to follow up on the order later or the next day), I don't think you are legitimately owed a refund for cakes that your family did accept and consume. I respectfully disagree. I am the one who ordered and paid for the cakes and I never received them.

It is a hard lesson for sure and your story probably will help others be certain to double check all special orders and to deal with any problems at the moment rather than trying to resolve them after the fact. I confirmed my cake orders via telephone the week prior to sailing. I reported the error to Guest Relations while onboard, was referred to the maitre d', then denied a refund by the purser. I'm sorry you were disappointed but it sounds like you & your sisters had a grand time! Focus on that & forget the cakes...nobody will remember the cakes, just the laughs you all had!

These silly cakes are definitely NOT what I focus on when I remember my cruise! Just a subject I wanted to hear opinions about from experienced Carnival customers. Thanks for sharing yours!

Here's my question -- Birthday cakes are no longer free, right? Then shouldn't they have the recipient sign for the cake upon delivery? That is their only proof that the recipient actually received the cake. obviously, if texasgreeneyes was not in the dining room when the cake was delivered, she couldn't have signed for it, therefore, no cake was delivered! They should not have accepted someone else's signature for it.

They do make you sign for room service, which is free, so it doesn't make any sense to me why they wouldn't make you sign for something that you paid for.

This is most definitely a customer service issue, and I think texasgreeneyes got screwed. It's not gonna kill Carnival to give her an apology and a refund.

Onboard staff should have been advised and the matter put to rest before disembarkation.

According to what you've written CCL did address your issues--just not with the answers you were seeking. You will never recapture the two month's time spent dwelling on the negative side of your cruise. Ask yourself if you can afford to spend even more time on what I would clearly define as an insignificant matter and you'll have answered your own question.

Enjoy the day!

Sea Turtle, I assure you I have not spent two months dwelling on this issue. :rolleyes: :p Wherever did you get that idea?

Both situations would have miffed me, but given that the cakes were accepted and presumably consumed I don't think they owe you a refund. A bottle of champagne or something like that would have been a nice token, that is true, but it didn't come and you can't make people do the things you would have chosen to do if you were presented with this same scenario but you were the one who screwed up. The tour operator issue would have best been handled at the shore excursion desk onboard. At the very least you could have filed a complaint and gotten someone to listen to you. At the most they would have refunded your money for the excursion. Still, they don't have any control over the individuals who work for the excursion companies and if most people are satisfied with the service overall then they have no motivation to discontinue using the company. It is good to let them know about the problems as you have done, but you can't demand anything further. I am glad you had a great cruise...Now is the time to reflect back on the happy memories. You have done as much as you can.

but you were the one who screwed up.

I don't see how the original poster screwed up. Clearly, Carnival is the one that dropped the ball in this whole issue. If they had delivered AS SHE HAD ORDERED (caps lock for emphasis, not for shouting), then there would not even be an issue here.

This topic makes me laugh... I've had a restaurant sing happy birthday to my wife and I even though I said it was and anniversary dinner. The looks on their face was great as my wife and I must have had funny looks ourselves... they new immediately that it wasn't our birthday.:D

It's just a cake... not a reason to say Carnival stinks as a cruiseline. I'm willing to guess that the family liked the cake when they ate it. You made them happy... even if it wasn't delivered the way you had requested.

Isn't that all that matters...?:o

texas greeneyes

While I agree that Carnival messed up with the cakes, the only thing they can do about the Tour Operator IS to pass along your dissatisfaction. Carnival has absolutely zero control over the independent Tour Operators that they contract with because they are independent contractors, not employees of Carnival. From what I understand, it is a pretty lucrative gig, so it is in their best interest to keep Carnival’s passengers happy. If Carnival gets too many complaints on a particular Tour Operator they will likely drop them like a bad habit and move on to the next. So passing along your complaint is about the best they can do. But keep in mind, should they pass it along, it will kind of serve notice to the Tour Operator that they are keeping an eye on him. So all in all, you likely got what you requested in that particular case.

Sea Turtle, I assure you I have not spent two months dwelling on this issue. :rolleyes: :p Wherever did you get that idea?

Well, since your cruise was in November 2005 and it is now January 2006 I would say that constitutes dwelling. Check Webster's.

:p :rolleyes: Right back at ya!

Enjoy the evening.

Well, since your cruise was in November 2005 and it is now January 2006 I would say that constitutes dwelling. Check Webster's.

:p :rolleyes: Right back at ya!

Enjoy the evening.

From Miriam-Webster, as suggested:

dwell: 1. to remain for a time. 2. to live as a resident 3. (used with 'on' or 'upon') a. to keep attention directed b. to speak or write insistently

Obviously, Sea Turtle, definitions 1 and 2 are not what you mean, so definition 3a or 3b must be the meaning you intend when you claim that I have been 'dwelling' on this issue. Now, really, all you know about me is what I discuss here on a cruise message board. How could you possibly glean from this that I "keep attention directed on" or "speak or write insistently" about these two issues?

I posted about it when I wrote my (lengthy and balanced) review, and discussed it when another poster started a thread about ordering through the Carnival Gift Department. Other than that, I started a thread asking how long others thought would be a reasonable time to wait for Carnival to respond to my first letter, and I started this thread to let those interested know Carnival's response and to ask for opinions.

I have also started threads on several other subjects since my cruise ended, and replied to many more. And, believe it or not, I have a busy, active life away from these boards. If that meets your definition of "dwelling" on this issue, okay. Whatever floats your boat!

Just to warn you, I have contacted my PVP to ask for her advice about these issues, and I will report any useful advice I receive and/or progress made here on this board.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your opinion. I did ask for it, after all.

Have a pleasant twilight yourself! ;)

Now I'm a little worried. I just ordered a gift from Carnival's online gift site for my hubby for our anniversary to be in the cabin when we arrive. Do you think it will show? We're talking $30 here and a anniversary surprise for my hubby.

We ordered a birthday package from the online gift site to be in our DDs cabin on embarkation day. (It was her 21st bday and the cruise was her bday present) Got on board, up to the lido deck to get a drink, check out our cabin, around the corner to check out her's and cousin's cabin and.....

THERE IT WAS, just like we ordered!

Though we didn't order a bday cake, the waitstaff did bring her dessert with a candle and sang. She was embarassed but happy. (got pictures to prove it)

As far as the problems with the excursion, I would definitely have taken it up with the individual company first, and if it was really bad, drop a line to Carnival. If there are enough complaints about a particular excursion, I hope that Carnival would listen and check things out.

Archived