Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

13 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

I think that's not a current pic. The stuff we saw from over the weekend had the bow thruster section in place, while it's not there in this pic. Might just have been from last week though. 

I believe that the bow thruster section is there, but not visible in the photo.

1 minute ago, Tough as Leather said:

That looks like it's not there to me. Unless maybe they've moved it since the weekend? 

174498668_ScreenShot2022-05-11at8_06_17PM.png.af554ed0da7aafc60c0af095e28b6af9.png

54 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

I think that's not a current pic. The stuff we saw from over the weekend had the bow thruster section in place, while it's not there in this pic. Might just have been from last week though. 

40 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

I think it is a recent picture as you can see on either side the Lifeboat davits from those recent installed blocks.

73C3CAB0-0A23-4FC0-A0E3-A5356ADBED74.jpeg

17 minutes ago, CroNich said:

Seems like Icon will have a proper outside promenade deck (possibly two stories!!), which was sadly missing from the Oasis class. me likely. 

FD7DD588-65B2-4344-8A5C-39F22A57C9B5.thumb.jpeg.7a38f10016198115d7119881fa4e10f0.jpeg

Does that mean 7 decks of balconies instead of 8?

20 minutes ago, CroNich said:

Seems like Icon will have a proper outside promenade deck (possibly two stories!!), which was sadly missing from the Oasis class. me likely. 

FD7DD588-65B2-4344-8A5C-39F22A57C9B5.thumb.jpeg.7a38f10016198115d7119881fa4e10f0.jpeg

And looks like three decks of Infinite Veranda staterooms like the Edge class. 

48 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

And looks like three decks of Infinite Veranda staterooms like the Edge class. 

Yup, I think you're right. Also, I don't see normal looking balconies overlooking Central Park in these photos. I wonder if those inside cabins will also have the Infinite Verandas.

Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 12.54.57 PM.png

Edited by Fairsky84

3 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

Nice Oasis-class vs Icon-class comparison photo by Thomas Liardo.

1016152021_ThomasLiardo.thumb.jpg.d4e81a8b8a1ceb30d9ecc72fda25bef7.jpg

What was watching the original oasis build like? Was the info about the size of the ship and the split superstructure already known or was it a "wth is going on here" deal?

1 hour ago, Fairsky84 said:

Yup, I think you're right. Also, I don't see normal looking balconies overlooking Central Park in these photos. I wonder if those inside cabins will also have the Infinite Verandas.

Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 12.54.57 PM.png

I wonder if it will still be called ‘Central Park’ on Icon. Central Park had been exclusive to Oasis class ships. Maybe it will be a similar ICONIC green space from another city, or even a different park on each new ship in the Icon class. There are so many beautiful parks in the US alone, not to mention parks from all over the world. Some US parks could include:

Griffith Park - Los Angeles, California

Fairmount Park - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Falls Park - Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Gas Works Park - Seattle, Washington

Piedmont Park - Atlanta, Georgia

City Park - New Orleans, Louisiana

Zilker Park - Austin, Texas

Boston Common - Boston, Massachusetts

Dolores Park - San Francisco, California

Lincoln Park - Chicago, Illinois

39 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I wonder if it will still be called ‘Central Park’ on Icon. Central Park had been exclusive to Oasis class ships. Maybe it will be a similar ICONIC green space from another city, or even a different park on each new ship in the Icon class. There are so many beautiful parks in the US alone, not to mention parks from all over the world. Some US parks could include:

Griffith Park - Los Angeles, California

Fairmount Park - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Falls Park - Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Gas Works Park - Seattle, Washington

Piedmont Park - Atlanta, Georgia

City Park - New Orleans, Louisiana

Zilker Park - Austin, Texas

Boston Common - Boston, Massachusetts

Dolores Park - San Francisco, California

Lincoln Park - Chicago, Illinois

I vote for Griffith Park! Or why limit it to the US how about Hyde Park

Edited by cruise1957

On 5/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, Lloyd555 said:

Ok. I thought that my image of the Norwegian ship (that I wanted to show as an example of a design that I appreciate) was creating confusion. 😳

It did….   So, is John correct no FlowRider?  Or is he just being a joy like usual?

back from Adventure.  I only Flowed for 12 days on a 13 night cruise.  The last 2 days were a bit of a mess.  My final ride was Tuesday, and the FlowRider tossed me off twice in a row after about 15 seconds, I went to my cabin and got dressed for Dress to Impress night.  Next day temps in the upper 50s, 30-40 knot winds, occassional rain, no sun and large waves.  My DW didn’t think it would be operating on Wednesday, I said, I bet it is, although I wanted no part of it in those conditions. We went up and 4 of my friends were huddled waiting to ride and the staff looked miserable.

The wave was really affected.  It felt like the wave didn’t have much force, with the water shifting side to side.  I had experienced rough water on the Allure last December but you could find water if you watched the wave with pressure.  On the Adventure it was like there just wasn’t much push.  Weird.

jc

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I wonder if it will still be called ‘Central Park’ on Icon. Central Park had been exclusive to Oasis class ships. Maybe it will be a similar ICONIC green space from another city, or even a different park on each new ship in the Icon class. There are so many beautiful parks in the US alone, not to mention parks from all over the world.

I'd almost certainly expect it to be called "Central Park." RCI has a history of introducing revolutionary new features on a ship and keeping the same name on subsequent classes. For example, Sovereign of the Seas introduced the soaring open atrium called "The Centrum." All of the following Sovereign, Vision, Radiance, and Quantum class ships kept this name. 

The Voyager-class introduced a multi-deck main street called the "Royal Promenade." Later Voyager, Freedom, Oasis, and Quantum-class ships also had main streets called the "Royal Promenade." 

Likewise, the Oasis-class introduced the open-air green space called "Central Park." I expect future classes, including Icon, that have this open-air green space will also use the "Central Park" name. (And I don't think RCI chose the name as a nod to NYC, but rather because it's a park in the center of the ship. And the connection to NYC is a bonus as these ships are like floating cities.)