Wedding Proposals onboard a Regent Cruise?

Snore42

With all the experience on these boards, I was wondering what unique or fun things people may have seen in the wedding proposal area while on Regent?  

I ask, as I'll be sailing on an upcoming Regent Cruise out of Athens and thinking to drop the question to my girlfriend.   This will be our third Regent cruise, and as she says her "dream itinerary".  So I figure this is the time and place to do it!  

Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated.  Just want to do something special and unique, the girl deserves it after all she puts up with, with me 🙂

I saw this done once on the Mariner. Was at least 15 years ago. The guy did it at an evening pool deck party. He set it up with the Cruise director in advance. They let him come up with the  band and make the "proposal" during the party. You could get real creative depending on the itinerary.

J

16 hours ago, JMARINER said:

I saw this done once on the Mariner. Was at least 15 years ago. The guy did it at an evening pool deck party. He set it up with the Cruise director in advance. They let him come up with the  band and make the "proposal" during the party. You could get real creative depending on the itinerary.

J

If I had done something like that with Joan when I proposed to her 52 years ago, she would have said NO, and that would have been the end of our relationship.  She would have been embarrassed, rather than thrilled, at a public proposal. Fortunately, I proposed to her in private, and she said yes.  We celebrated our 50th anniversary last year.  Still going strong, and our next Regent cruise will be in August.

Regent offers lots of romantic settings.  Choose to make your proposal in a place where your intended would be comfortable, such as a table for two in a specialty restaurant, or a place on land.  On one of my Regent cruises, someone on my roll call was going to propose on a Greek Island - possibly Santorini.  Fortunately or unfortunately, she looked at the roll call; so they ended up getting engaged before the trip and married on the Greek Island.  Think about it.

Edited by Joanandjoe
  • Like 1

Your imagination is the limit on this, I think.  I don't remember ever seeing any proposals on Regent - usually anniversaries (and often 50 years or more!)

If you have a butler, you can bring him in on the planning.  I'd check with the CD or someone for some suggestions.  A lot depends on what your girlfriend likes, too.  Good luck, sounds like fun!

I proposed to my wife in Prime 7. It went off without a hitch. Just the two of us near a window watching the sun go down. The Maitre d brought over a bag my then fiance had been eyeing, but didn't know I had purchased. It was tough hiding it without her seeing it. I had given it to the Maitre d earlier in the evening.  She thought the bag was the big present. Inside the bag I had placed the ring. When she opened the bag the middle was locked and I was holding the key.  I gave it to her and when she opened and took out the box, i got on one knee and asked her to marry me.  I had not noticed other guest had been watching and when she said yes there was an explosion of applause.  Then surprisingly our waiter brought out a beautiful cake with writing on it just for her and the whole team sang her a beautiful song.  She loves to this day to tell that story.  Good luck and if you do it on the ship, I'm sure they will make it splendid.  Ron

• Like 5

On 4/30/2019 at 8:34 PM, captn337 said:

I proposed to my wife in Prime 7. It went off without a hitch. Just the two of us near a window watching the sun go down. The Maitre d brought over a bag my then fiance had been eyeing, but didn't know I had purchased. It was tough hiding it without her seeing it. I had given it to the Maitre d earlier in the evening.  She thought the bag was the big present. Inside the bag I had placed the ring. When she opened the bag the middle was locked and I was holding the key.  I gave it to her and when she opened and took out the box, i got on one knee and asked her to marry me.  I had not noticed other guest had been watching and when she said yes there was an explosion of applause.  Then surprisingly our waiter brought out a beautiful cake with writing on it just for her and the whole team sang her a beautiful song.  She loves to this day to tell that story.  Good luck and if you do it on the ship, I'm sure they will make it splendid.  Ron

Sounds perfect!  How long ago was this?

Most of the examples posted in this thread sound lovely, perhaps especially Ron's. But jmariner raised an issue which I second for emphasis: make sure it is sufficiently private that she can say "no" or "let me think about it" without the pressure of a crowd of semi-strangers looking on and clearly expecting her to say "yes". The worst examples of this are at, say, a baseball game where he proposes by a message on the scoreboard.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback.   I'm more on the private side, so I'm leaning towards doing something more private. Currently leaning towards having them set something up in the room for her (talking to the butler and Regent corporate), maybe on the balcony since we'll be in one of the named suites.     Feel free to keep sending in suggestions if any one else has them! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snore42 said:

Thanks a lot for all the feedback.   I'm more on the private side, so I'm leaning towards doing something more private. Currently leaning towards having them set something up in the room for her (talking to the butler and Regent corporate), maybe on the balcony since we'll be in one of the named suites.     Feel free to keep sending in suggestions if any one else has them! 

I hope she doesn’t read this forum😜.

I was in the far back corner. I think some people noticed the Maitre d bringing over her new purse. Fortunately, I had no doubts of her responding in the positive.  I had received plenty of hints that her patience was wearing thin.  Suffice to say, best decision I ever made.  The marriage, though the proposal came off great as well.  Ron

• Like 1