Vista Trip Report with photos and videos!

ABQrobin

36 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

If so, how can I win some 😂

Exactly!!!!  I haven't sailed with Carnival ever.  I read someone won a ship excursion on one of their cruises at the Welcome Aboard Show.  I thought that would be cool.  😂

1 hour ago, rcprncss said:

Exactly!!!!  I haven't sailed with Carnival ever.  I read someone won a ship excursion on one of their cruises at the Welcome Aboard Show.  I thought that would be cool.  😂

They give away all types of things including excursions at the Daily Morning Show and the Port Talks held by the Cruise Director.  You have to be present to win.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 4:53 AM, ABQrobin said:

I guess you just don't get my sense of humor.  

Matt has charisma and got people to do things, join in sign alongs, relate to little kids and big kids...  he just has the "it" factor.  He draws every audience in like a magnet and yet he is warm and genuine.  It is something special to see.

We have sailed with him and yes he is a very good CD but a crush? i don't think so .

Time for another HIT or MISS for the cruise...   Topic = Comedy Club

Okay, everyone has heard about the line of view problems in the Vista class ships Comedy Club.  We found it NOT to be that big an issue.  

BUT you really have to be at Comedy Club 30-45 before the show starts, standing in line at the door to get in and get a seat.  Really.  And they do clear the room after each show in order to keep people from just staying there holding seats all night.

The room....

20190417_200055-XL.jpg

20190418_185732-XL.jpg

These 60s bucket chairs are so uncomfortable!  Try to get one of the straightback chairs along side or even one of the bar stools.

Waiting stinks....BUT they are soooooo worth it.  As you might have guessed, we showed up too late twice.  We learned our lesson and actually ate dinner at the buffet one night just to insure we get in for a show.  We saw 2 different comedians during the week, over 3 nights.  

20190419_173218-XL.jpg

We didnt' get to see the comedians of the first half of the cruise, but when we swapped out with another ship, we got 2 of the best we have seen ever on a ship.  

Here they are:

20190419_173227-XL.jpg

We saw an R-rated show by this guy and let me say it was the dirtiest show by anyone I have ever seen.  Holy cow.  He is funny as heck, but man...  the towel animal trick has to do with something you never thought you'd see done by a comedian on a ship.  

20190419_173259-XL.jpg

We saw a PG and an R show by this guy......  Waaaay funny guy, dirty but not too dirty.  

Hit or Miss?  

I say big HIT for Comedy Club this trip.

more tomorrow....

On 4/28/2019 at 7:35 AM, atakkat said:

We too found the cakes to be lacking taste at the “Sweet Spot” on the Vista. A darn shame, they all look so good. So Elderflower and which chocolate? Did you find the gelato on the Lido? Also interested in dinner menus, as we are trying to make a reservation for Steakhouse. Did you take any pictures of the menus or remember which night was least appealing? Thank you!

I've noticed this at just about every buffet I've been to. The desserts are always beautiful, but always taste like disappointment, lol. I live in Las Vegas so I've been to plenty of the really nice buffets on the strip, plus the same thing seems to be the case on any cruise I've been on. I don't know what it is about beautiful desserts, but 99% of the time, the taste is 'meh' at best.

• Like 1

Day 3:   Cozumel

We have been to Cozumel every year on vacation for past 19 years, usually a week at a time, its like home to us.  Usually we are scuba diving, but not this trip at all (DH just had some minor surgery so not cleared, and I have had a cold/respiratory infection off and on all winter).  We decided this time to Cozumel we would do something completely different, something we have heard about but never tried.... The Original Cozumel Bar HOP.  www.cozumelbarhop.com

We signed up months ago, you book on their website, and pay a $17pp deposit, balance of $40pp is due in cash when you arrive.  This tour is not associated with any cruise line, or any tour company, it is a private tour run by a fun couple who love the island and have to share it.  

Vista arrived right on time to Cozumel this morning... and there were only a couple of ships due in all day.  It was going to be great!   Errrr, uh oh, weather report on the Carnival Hub app said thunderstorms and rain.  Ick.  Well, we have been to Cozumel so many times, if the tour gets rained out we will be okay.  

View of arrival from our balcony, 6425.

2019_Vista_CozumelBarHop.Movie_Snapshot-

Overcast skies

DSCF1131-XL.jpg

Port was hopping with the Carnival tour excursion vendors, everyone lining up

DSCF1133-XL.jpg

For those of you who have never been to Puerta Maya....  this is where you get your ship's excurisons

DSCF1141-XL.jpg

It is a short walk to the gates and taxi stand.

At the taxi stand you tell the person there where you are going and how many people you have.

All prices are regulated, and posted on the sign.

The meeting spot for the Cozumel Bar Hop is at Senor Frogs downtown, north of Puerta Maya, and by the Puerto Langosto pier.

Taxi fare for the two of us was $8.

DSCF1142-XL.jpg

Gray skies..... not looking good!

DSCF1145-XL.jpg

We were early so we walked around the shopping area..... then the skies opened up and it POURED..

DSCF1150-XL.jpg

and poured...

DSCF1154-XL.jpg

For about 15 minutes it rained hard, the walkways and roads were flooded...

we found a place to stay dry under the canopy as we waited

a few others for the tour showed up, and we all waited wondering what would happen to the tour

DSCF1150-XL.jpg

Then right at 10am, our meeting time, Colleen showed up to pick us up.  She said the other side of island doesn't get the rain this side does so she was hoping for good weather when we got over there......

...fingers crossed......

She took us around behind the shopping area to a parking lot full of tour buses... we hopped on ours, put on our official bracelets and we were off.

DSCF1155-XL.jpg

2019_Vista_CozumelBarHop%20(6).Movie_Sna

Colleen gave us a nice talk about how she came to live in Cozumel many years ago (she's from Canada originally).  

And with that, the sun came out... and we arrived at our first stop.

DSCF1157-XL.jpg

I will now pause to let you know about the tour....

Cozumel_BarhopMap.png

Hopefully that map loaded... it is from the Bar Hop website.

At each of the 4 stops you receive a special shot drink.  

At the end of tour you receive your very own Bar Hop t-shirt to take home.

Stop #1...Punta Morena   we received a Mayan Sacrifice (Xtabentun and pineapple)

2019_Vista_CozumelBarHop%20(2).Movie_Sna

Yummm

• Like 1

At this stop we decided to order a snack, and Colleen said there was a Bar Hop special, lobster quesadillas, so we order 1, as well as a couple of sodas.  

DSCF1158-XL.jpg

DSCF1170-XL.jpg

DSCF1172-XL.jpg

This is the largest and most modern of all the beach clubs on the East side.  Still no electricity there, but they had a pool, gift shop, and large seating areas.

2019_Vista_CozumelBarHop%20(3).Movie_Sna

Several other tour groups showed up while we were there, as well as some local families and tourists on their own.  It was a busy place.

DSCF1163-XL.jpg

4 minutes ago, purplephenom said:

ooh that drink looks pretty. Eagerly refreshing to see what the rest will look like.

Enjoying your review, thanks for doing this.  

That was my favorite of the tour.  The Xtabentun is a local concoction made from herbs that tastes like licorice, which I don't like, but when it is mixed with the pineapple juice it was delicious.  I think it cut the sweetness and made it earthy, or something.  Anyhow, I would drink that one again.

We stayed at each stop around 40 minutes before moving on.... so if you want food you have to order as soon as you arrive!

It was time to move on...  so off we went to Coconuts.

Stop #2:  Coconuts

Okay.... all classiness ends as soon as you arrive here.  If you are easily offended, don't go to Coconuts.  It is raunchy, and the bar tenders all have photo albums of what women will do for a free drink....they will walk up and drop them on your table.  Do not open unless you want to see... lots of Coconuts and other parts.

Shot:  Tequila Slammer

It was red, and tasted like fruit punch and sweet, very sweet.  

DSCF1180-XL.jpg

DSCF1185-XL.jpg

Coconuts is built on the highest point on the island, a hill that is 64' above sea level.  Wow.  LOL

2019_Vista_CozumelBarHop%20(4).Movie_Sna

DSCF1191-XL.jpg

As you can see.... the wild side of the island has rough seas, and beaches are not for swimming!

We could see the storms on the other side of the island from here.

I think people who stayed on west side beaches for the day had a lot of rain....

...more to come....

Edited by ABQrobin
  • Like 1

Our 3rd stop.....  used to be Playa Bonita but it has now closed....  so the 3rd stop is now El Pescador, and place that the tour is trying out as a replacement.  As the name suggests, it is a fresh fish restaurant.

Shot#3 ---  I don't remember, it had tequila for sure

DSCF1209-XL.jpg

We decided to get another food snack here, fish tacos

DSCF1208-XL.jpg

DSCF1211-XL.jpg

DSCF1212-XL.jpg

A few of the others on our tour ordered more drinks at each stop, some getting margaritas that everyone noted were very strong...so if you decide to do this, be prepared.  Some of them could barely stand when we got back to port.

Last Stop-  Rastas

Shot = Iguana (mezcal, rum, melon liquor, coconut creme, pineapple)

2019_Vista_CozumelBarHop%20(7).Movie_Sna

DSCF1222-XL.jpg

DSCF1217-XL.jpg

The drink was not good to me, others drank it then ordered something else.  

After the stop at Rastas, it was a 20 minute drive back to Puerta Maya for our dropoff.

Back at port......   looked like they had quite a bit of rain.

DSCF1232-XL.jpg

Here is my video of the Cozumel Bar Hop.  Enjoy!

We enjoyed the Bar Hop.  Don't think we would do it again, but it was fun and a different thing to do in Cozumel.  I am sure next time we visit it will be for diving or some other water activity instead.

1 hour ago, JaniceB said:

Thanks for the report on the bar hop, I have looked at it numerous times but always end up at a beach.

I really do recommend it, especially if you have never been to the "wild" side of the island.  We have been over there but it was 17 yrs ago, so it was nice for us to go again.  Some things are new, some things are exactly the same as back then (Coconuts).  

• Like 1

BAck to my Review of the Vista...

Another big HIT on the Vista = JiJi Asian Restaurant

We made reservations thru the Hub app for 6pm, and at that time went up to Deck 11 where it is located. 

20190416_172718-XL.jpg

The hostess took us inside and seated us, gave us a menu, and explained how it works.  The menu is divided into sections - since there were 2 of us, we could pick 2 from each:  appetizer, main course, side dishes, and desserts.  Everything comes out family style for you both to try each dish.  Cool.

We were then given a treat from the Chef:

20190416_174203-XL.jpg

This wwas a little crispy potato type cake with some slaw and sauces.  Very yummy.

For appetizers we got the pork belly

20190416_175218-XL.jpg

and

Pot stickers

20190416_175546-XL.jpg

YUMMMMM

both were FANTASTIC.  

• Like 1

Our main courses:  Stock Pig and Wagu Beef shortribs

20190416_181000-XL.jpg20190416_181549-XL.jpg

OMG.... both were so delicious!  We were in heaven.  It doesn't look like huge servings, but it really was large enough that we were both getting very full..

Our sides were jasmine rice and some noodles.  Both were okay but I wish we had gotten the green beans instead of noodles.  

20190416_181554-XL.jpg

DESSERT...... drum roll please!    We got the Rose Creme Brulee and the Crepes with citrus.  Wow, wow, wow.

20190416_183238-XL.jpg

20190416_183236-XL.jpg

Wow,, what a feast.... and the price is only $15pp.  Amazing.  

If you are ever on a ship with JiJi's Asian, please indulge in it.  It is worth every penny!  

Service was fantastic, as well, and the Chef came out half way thru and walked to each table to ask how we liked the food.  The place was over half full by that time.  No kidding, we loved it enough we almost did it again the same cruise.  

• Like 2