Tipping - Iceland, Norway and Denmark

CLOU

I will be going on a cruise in June to Iceland, Norway and Denmark, and will be spending some time independently before, after and off the cruise in ports.  I have noticed that some residents of these countries visit these boards and was hoping to get some advice on tipping in restaurants, hotels and taxis.  There is online information that seems to be all over the place - i.e.,  tipping is not common or expected in these countries, or, that is true but some people add something - a few Kroner extra for good service, enough for a cup of coffee,  or some people add five percent, or some people add ten percent.  I don't mind tipping for good service, but I also don't want to tip just because I am American and feel I should.  Years ago I saw an American insist on tipping someone in Tahiti, where, at the time at least, tipping was rare, and he tried to give it back three or four times before she finally relented.  It was a foreign concept to him.  I prefer to follow what actual residents do, so any advice would be appreciated.

As said, in Denmark and Norway as well as Iceland the service charge, or tip, for restaurant servers and others who perform services that require tipping in the United States is included in the bill because -  it is the law.

So it follows that tipping isn't common, is totally unnecessary, and not expected, but always appreciated.

At some restaurants when paying by Credit Card, you are prompted by the terminal if you want to add tip - just press No.

• Like 1

I think the machines in Norway must be slightly different from those in Denmark. The card readers here typically ask you to enter the total before entering your PIN  (or being asked to sign the receipt). If you don't want to tip, you still need to re-enter the total amount and hit the OK/green button.

In general, the main camps are as you mentioned: no tipping at all; round up the bill; tip 5-10%. Basically, do what you're comfortable with. A tip is not insulting and should be well-received. Tipping more than 10% is extravagant.

Tipping only makes sense in restaurants and possibly bars. Certainly don't tip taxi drivers (taxis cost enough as it is). The tour guides I know generally accept and appreciate small cash tips. Since the default behavior of several of the card readers requires you to enter the total, this may happen at someplace like a cafe or bakery with simple counter service. In these situations, it is absolutely not expected to tip; it's just the way the technology is set up.

If you want to get into the nuances of the Norwegian tipping debate: It has become increasingly common in Norway, and I've certainly seen servers side-eye people who don't tip at all. On one side, people point out that service is supposed to be included and that staff should be paid a reasonable amount already. The other side points out that many of the restaurant workers are foreigners, and several restaurant owners have been known to take advantage of these more vulnerable workers, since they may not be in the situation to easily change jobs. There's of course also the argument about whether attentive service should be expected and/or rewarded. There have been several debates among the local populace about what the general behavior should be, so there is no overall consensus.

Edited by kaisatsu

In Iceland it is not uncommon to tip a tour guide the equivalent of $10 or so for a shorter tour and more for a longer tour.  More than that for a private tour.

In restaurants 6-7 years ago we got chased because we did leave a tip, they thought it was a mistake.  Now we leave a small tip (10% or so) and it is appreciated but not required

Europe does not tip, the Nordic countries especially it is not needed. Do not add 10% it is not needed and now with increasingly cashless payment will become less. Remember in Europe all staff are paid a proper wage, its not the top up slave wages of the US. Equally the price you pay in shops is the labelled cost there is no sales tax on top, so making the price hard to calculate in a shop. This upfront payment method is the basis of European prices and has made tipping so last century, whilst the tipping culture in the US seems to grow with now NYC 20% being standard.

• Like 1

This discussion thread at least explains why the online information is all over the place. Some of the bolder statements in this thread tries to make it look like there's one definite answer to your question. I'd like to argue it's not. I respect that some people don't tip at all (but not so much that they try to impose that view on all others), but stating that tipping does not happen or should not happen is just right out wrong. I'll limit my answer to Norway and let other residents answer for the rest of the countries. Here in Norway I'd say tipping is much more at your own discretion than what you're used to from the US, but it's certainly not uncommon. Tipping is a part of the economy, although to a much lesser extent than in the US, and both the employer and the employee pays taxes based on tips received. It also differs how the tip is split, but pooling between the waitstaff and the kitchen is not uncommon. "Forcing" the waitstaff give tips to the kitchen regardless of actual tips received from the customer is however very uncommon, I'm tempted to state that it simply does not happen.

To try to explain what I see as the difference: When I'm in the US I basically end up tipping 15-20 % at a restaurant even when service is average (or even mediocre at best). It sometimes puzzles me a bit, but I have just learned to live with it and just takes it into account when considering the price, just as remembering to add sales tax to the price listed in the menu. In comparison, if the total experience here in Norway was mediocre I probably would not tip at all, but if it was great I'd be more than happy to add a little extra, say up to about 10 %. 

Same goes for a bar or a club, if the bartender on a busy night always makes sure I get prompt service or even offers to bring the drinks over to the table as soon as they are ready I strongly believe that (s)he deserves a little extra. About 10 % for great service.

If I order at the counter at a café/bakery and get my food there and bring it back to the table myself i normally would not tip.

A tour guide who has taken time to answer your question and entertain you beyond your expectations for an hour or two (or even more) could also maybe deserve a little extra, but I'd say this is a little less common. I'd guess even 2-5 US dollars per family when part of a larger tour group would still be greatly appreciated. 

A lot of people you encounter in restaurants or at museums or churches during summer are students trying to earn a little extra or foreign workers and their salaries (or working hours) are not that great, so when we have the ability to give them a little extra because they have made our experience better by going above and beyond, why shouldn't we?

Taxis are another story. Sad thing is I can't remember the last time i felt the need to tip the driver, prices are going up and service level down.

Always make sure whether the credit card reader asks you to enter the total amount you want to pay or your pin code. Most credit card readers work the way that when asked for the total if you just press the green "ok"-button  it copies the amount initially entered, without adding an extra tip.

As a final remark: There's a cultural difference, so service will in most cases be different from a US restaurant where the waitstaff in general is way more talkative and present. This should not be taken as a sign that they are not serviceminded and that you are not important to them. It's just different.

Edited by Sucellos
Added the last paragraph and fixed some typos
  • Like 2

Thank you, Sucellos, for the reasoned and detailed reply.  I too had come to the conclusion that the responses on this board seemed to be a bit all over the place, just like the so-called travel information sources on line.

The one problem with the tip and the credit card is that for some ridiculous reason, most US cards do not have a PIN.  They finally have chips but the vendor has to print out a receipt for us to sign.  It is almost always just printed and presented to us, without a chance to change the number.  That means, when we tip have to  tip in cash.  I guess before they enter the bill number we could ask the if it is possible to add a tip, but that always feels awkward.

8 hours ago, CLOU said:

The one problem with the tip and the credit card is that for some ridiculous reason, most US cards do not have a PIN.  They finally have chips but the vendor has to print out a receipt for us to sign.  It is almost always just printed and presented to us, without a chance to change the number.  That means, when we tip have to  tip in cash.  I guess before they enter the bill number we could ask the if it is possible to add a tip, but that always feels awkward.

I haven't experienced that in Norway. I often have dinner with colleagues and vendors who are visiting from the US, and they nearly always have the chance to enter the final amount before the slip is printed for them to sign.

On 4/30/2019 at 1:00 PM, Nitemare said:

In Iceland it is not uncommon to tip a tour guide the equivalent of $10 or so for a shorter tour and more for a longer tour.  More than that for a private tour.

In restaurants 6-7 years ago we got chased because we did leave a tip, they thought it was a mistake.  Now we leave a small tip (10% or so) and it is appreciated but not required

No, it is NOT.

NO TIPPING IN EUROPE!

full stop.

• Haha 1