Princess Kids Menu Question - Alaska

Ancon

Does anyone know if there are other options than what is on the menu for the specialty restaurants (ie Crown Grill or Sabbatini's).  We'd like to especially try Crown Grill but there is nothing on the menu that our daughter would eat that I can see.  Is it possible to order something off menu at these places?

16 minutes ago, josher_m said:

Does anyone know if there are other options than what is on the menu for the specialty restaurants (ie Crown Grill or Sabbatini's).  We'd like to especially try Crown Grill but there is nothing on the menu that our daughter would eat that I can see.  Is it possible to order something off menu at these places?

I would think you could visit the restaurant and speak with the chef/head waiter.

1 hour ago, josher_m said:

Check with the restaurant on board, but you may be able to order something off the MDR kids menu for them. I once requested an item from the MDR menu that I really wanted to try when we were dining in Sterlings, and the waiter got it for me.

That said, you'll have to pay the supplement for your child, even if you order them something from the MDR. Perhaps you can time it so that your child can go hang out in the kid's club while you have a "date night"?

• Like 1

I have two boys, ages 11 and 12.  I asked them their opinion of the food choices on Princess.  They say that they definitely prefer eating in the MDR.  They say the food is better quality there.  They like it because they can choose something which they think they might like off the adult menu, but if they hate it they have the kids menu as a backup plan.  I do remember a few meals where they ate one bite of the adult dish and decided it wasn't for them.  Our waiters were awesome about getting them another meal if they didn't like what they originally ordered.   

• Like 1

There are definitely levels of picky. I've always considered my sons to be picky, especially my oldest. He's 26 now, but as a child, he would not eat dairy (except ice cream), potatoes, legumes, eggs, and most "mixed" food, but he would eat any meat, fish, sushi, most vegetables, especially broccoli. He would not eat a lot of things, and sometimes it was challenging, but he ate a wide variety of food and would always find something to eat.  On his first cruise, at age 8, he ate off the adult menu all week.  He ate adult portions of prime rib, steak, etc. He often asked for no sauce, and didn't ever touch the potatoes, but he was very happy and tried lots of new things. 

On the other hand, during that same cruise, my nieces would only eat chicken strips from the kid's menu.  They got tired of them after 2-3 days.  I told their mom to just order them something from the adult menu, but she insisted that they wouldn't eat it.  Grandma started feeding the 3 year old from her own plate, and she ate it just fine.  Their mom finally gave up and their family ate at the buffet the rest of the week.  Such a shame, especially since it was supposed to be a family cruise and dinner was the one time of day we tried to spend together.

The children's menu is very limited, and if your kid only likes one thing on it, they are going to get bored quickly.  I think it's much better to find "real food" from the adult menu that they will eat, even if it means ordering with no sauce, substituting sides, etc.

6 hours ago, sherryf said:

The children's menu is very limited, and if your kid only likes one thing on it, they are going to get bored quickly.  I think it's much better to find "real food" from the adult menu that they will eat, even if it means ordering with no sauce, substituting sides, etc.

I don't know. I cruised with friends and every meal was butter and noodles for one daughter. The sister on the other hand ate chicken fingers every meal. Apparently this is what they ate at home also. Good news is as adults, they have grown out of this and eat normally!

Hi, our kids have never had any problems finding something that they like.  They wouldn't even consider trying the PB&J sandwich 😀

We eat in a mix of the MDR and buffet. There is a more child friendly selection in the buffet at about 5-6pm (varies on the ship and number of children on board). We sometimes got dinner for the kids in the buffet and had a small snack with them before taking them to the kids club and we then had dinner in the MDR.  In the MDR the kids sometimes ordered from the adult menu, sometimes the kids but often it was a combination of both. They might want the roast chicken without sauce and with fries. Or they wanted a bowl of strawberries as an appetizer. It's never been any problem with mixing and matching items. As they got older they would sometimes try something new in the MDR knowing that if they didn't like it they could order a burger or go to the buffet or  grab a slice of pizza later on.  The  kids won't starve 🙂

We were on the Royal last summer and our DS mix and matched off the kids and adults menu. The staff were fantastic. There is a children’s section in the buffet in the evenings and if you go to the speciality dining restaurants you can also order off the kids menu there - last year our DS who was three at the time had Calamari to start off the ordinary menu and then spaghetti with meatballs off the kids menu! If the children take part in the kids club, then some evenings they have their own tea in the buffet - in a cordoned off section - with the food cooked especially for the children. The other thing that we did some evenings - especially later in the cruise was take DS with us to the MDR for dinner - he then had his main whilst we had our starters. Then one of us would take him to kids club and we then had our main meal. This worked really well as we had a family meal and an adult meal and entertainment for him all in one evening!!

Our kid's very first cruise (barely 1 year) we ordered her a piece of chicken and mashed potatoes every night. She devoured it.  Nowadays, PICKY!!!!! She eats yogurt & a muffin every day at school. It's not that she won't eat many foods, but that she can control what she eats and sometimes won't eat certain things.  She ate just fine on our Alaska cruise last year from the kids menu.  There was the time our waiter tried to sneak some fruit (which she will eat....) into her volcano and she refused to touch it.  

OP -  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  The kids will be fine.