Recommendations for shipping salmon?

LF23

1 hour ago, LF23 said:

Hi, we’ll be in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Any favorite places in these ports to buy salmon for shipping home?  Thanks! 

We tend to stock up on smoked salmon (jarred/tinned/boxed) at Taku in Juneau, which is right near where the ships dock (either across the street or just down the road) - you can also order fresh (frozen) salmon and crab there which they will ship home for you. There's also a store we tend to hit up in Ketchikan right on the end of Creek Street (the opposite end of where you enter under the Creek Street sign). Of course, I don't know the name of it, lol, we just know it from visiting before. In general I've found most of the shops in Ketchikan seem to have similar deals on smoked salmon. Taku in Juneau is the only one I'm aware of that will ship you home salmon fillets, etc, but I'm sure others here on CC will know of other shops! 

In two weeks the first wild stock salmon of the season should start to hit the market, fresh from the Copper River Delta to your home. Pre-ordering now is possible. These are the richest salmon in the world. The Kings (Chinook) are very expensive and the Sockeye (Reds) are not far behind. I suggest the sockeye. I would give the season a few weeks for the prices to stabilize, then order.

4 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

second this one. Been ordering from them for about 20 years. Get on their email list to see great specials and call in for great add ons.

4 hours ago, kennicott said:

I suggest the sockeye. I would give the season a few weeks for the prices to stabilize, then order.

Great tips. Thank you both. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2019 at 6:10 PM, Anita Latte said:

Get on their email list

I did, and we love it.  Haven’t even left the lower 48 yet!  Thanks for the info. 

I am blessed and lucky to have a place up here. Fishing has been very good this year and will be bringing 100-150# of halibut and salmon. I process all the fish myself (filleting,smoking,vacuum sealing) and bring it home as luggage. Much cheaper than shipping!!

On 6/27/2019 at 5:19 PM, diesel1973 said:

I am blessed and lucky to have a place up here. Fishing has been very good this year and will be bringing 100-150# of halibut and salmon. I process all the fish myself (filleting,smoking,vacuum sealing) and bring it home as luggage. Much cheaper than shipping!!

Fresh halibut and salmon are not allowed on cruise ships.  

I thought I read a posting where one of the cruise lines will cook your fish for you. Would be an alternative to enjoying the fish you caught without the expense of shipping it home. Have never done a cruise up here but have done various ferry trips. Just a reminder of how expensive it is to ship your fish home.  In fact I have been offered a cruisers catch of fish after some charters after they find out the expense of shipping it home. A very pricey situation.

The US Public Health Service generally does not allow cruise ships to cook and serve fish caught while sport-fishing. There are a few exceptions made - but only after a great deal of paperwork is done on official forms, in triplicate, and maintained in a file for several months. The argument is that if the sport fish was somehow tainted, it could contaminate the other food being served to many passengers and result in a big public health crisis.

This is extremely unlikely in Alaska - but rules are rules.

I am spending the summer in Tokyo - arguably one of the most expensive cities in the world.

The Japanese have fresh Alaska Salmon flown in every day during the Salmon Season.

Fresh air-freighted Alaska Salmon in Tokyo costs far less than fresh Alaska Salmon in Juneau. Go figure.................