Lawn Club Grill en route to/from Iceland. Too cold?

klfella

First time on Reflection. Am tempted to try out Lawn Club Grill on a sea day on upcoming Ireland-Iceland trip in June. Am wondering if it'll be warm enough to actually enjoy the experience. Has anyone dined at LCG before in early/mid-June in the middle of the ocean north of Scotland? Any views/comments would be much appreciated.

DS did cruising to Russia in May.  She said it was cold but wrapped up with blankets and with the IR heaters on it was quite pleasant (at least for a brit used to cold!) and really quiet.  She did say she felt really sorry for the staff though!

Sailed Silhouette which has LCG, to Iceland August 2018 and once we got past Scotland thereafter when in the Atlantic waters, it was just too cold  even with heaters and blankets. We did manage to eat there twice earlier in the cruise but would have gone more especially for lunch because we really enjoyed the LCG. If your ship overnights in Iceland, you may be lucky and get experience some 'warmer' weather if you don't like the cold. We found the LCG staff very accommodating.

We were on the Reflection Caribbean cruise in March and it was definitely chilly in there then I was wishing I had taken a jacket with me.  From a personal point of view it was the only meal of the whole cruise we didn’t really enjoy , the steak was a bit tough and lacked flavour and the wine waiter was so sparing with the amount of wine he gave I don’t think any of us actually received an overall total of a full glass in all the time we were there. Having said that our actual waiter was so nice and friendly went out of his way to try and give us a lovely evening.  Maybe we were just unlucky food wise as I have read of other people that thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Thanks for all your comments. Yes, I guessed as much it would be cold and windy (Kentlady says it was chilly in the Caribbean, what more north of Scotland?!). I would prefer to try LCG at lunchtime when it would be warmer presumably, but the Celebrity website doesn't seem to offer lunchtime slots. Maybe I'll try again once I'm onboard and have a better idea of the weather. Who knows with global warming and all that these days...!

Obviously a lot will depend on the weather and a decision can be made once onboard, but there may well be very little difference between lunchtime and the evening. That far north, the sun won't be setting till between 10 and 11pm (maybe even later depending on ship's time). So if the sky's are clear, a meal outside in the evening could be very pleasant.

I volunteer at our local botanical garden giving tours in Southwest Florida.  In December, it can get pretty cool here, so I wear long pants and a sweatshirt or jacket to stay comfortable.  On most of those "crisp" days, there are folks in the tour wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts.  They are, of course, from the Northern states or Canada.  To them, it's a wonderful warm, balmy day...to me, it's almost cold enough for me to think about getting out my ski jacket.

Where do the people live who are saying their experience is that it's cold or not? Where do you fit on the spectrum 🙂 

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

A great deal will depend on the wind. We were on the Silhouette westbound TA in November, skirting a storm with high winds.  We had dinner at the LCG early on (because we love it).  It was cold out, but we were dressed for that. The problem was the cold wind, it was just too much. At one point, I had a blanket wrapped over my head. Not a good way to enjoy dinner. We went again much later in the cruise when it was a bit warmer and the winds had died down, and had a great time. 

I live in the west coast of Scotland.  You could be lucky and have a calm warm day - but it would be very very unlikely to still be pleasantly warm enough to eat out on board a ship in the evening.  You would be counting the days a year that that will happen on one hand (exception to that rule was last year, previous to that was 1976).  I would not ever book a meal to sit out living here in advance of the day.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, klfella said:

First time on Reflection. Am tempted to try out Lawn Club Grill on a sea day on upcoming Ireland-Iceland trip in June. Am wondering if it'll be warm enough to actually enjoy the experience. Has anyone dined at LCG before in early/mid-June in the middle of the ocean north of Scotland? Any views/comments would be much appreciated.

On our upcoming Ireland-Iceland cruise on Reflection, we will still be in port late in the evening on several days.  We are thinking about trying Lawn Club Grill on one of those evenings.  We figure if the ship is not moving, it may not be as cold. 

Cruiserchuck, yes it should be less windy/cold when the ship is in port but I was specifically planning around my sea days in this case. From Fragilek's comments, things don't seem very promising  "... it would be very very unlikely to still be pleasantly warm enough to eat out on board a ship in the evening.  You would be counting the days a year that that will happen on one hand (exception to that rule was last year, previous to that was 1976)."     Yikes.

It sounds like it will be too cold on sea days, especially for dinner.  When we were previously on Reflection in the Mediterranean in October, we checked it out at lunch time.  It was pretty windy, and the menu at lunch was mainly burgers, so we passed.   

We just did the LCG on the Silhouette. Our booking was for 8.30pm but we turned up early & that was good. You would have thought May would be ok sailing out of Southampton. Wrong.

the food was great but it was really cold even with blankets & heaters - dress up warm or reserve a table early. The design doesn’t help as there are no doors as such & the wind blows right through the venue. 

On 5/1/2019 at 11:49 AM, Turtles06 said:

A great deal will depend on the wind. We were on the Silhouette westbound TA in November, skirting a storm with high winds.  We had dinner at the LCG early on (because we love it).  It was cold out, but we were dressed for that. The problem was the cold wind, it was just too much. At one point, I had a blanket wrapped over my head. Not a good way to enjoy dinner. We went again much later in the cruise when it was a bit warmer and the winds had died down, and had a great time. 

We were on the same cruise, I would say mid-Atlantic, because as Turtles can testify to, we turned way south and actually crossed at the Azores latitude.

We went to LC on the night we were anchored in Bermuda. There are heaters and blankets available, and there are those roll down clear plastic shades you see in outdoor restaurants, which were rolled down. Even at anchor, it was breezy, not too cold to sit outside during the early seating. I only thought about asking for a blanket toward the very end, when eating the ice cream.

it would have been miserable during the crossing though.