Melbourne: NY Times Top Ranked, Ideas, Tips!!

From the New York Times Travel Section this coming weekend, they will have this headline: “36 Hours in Melbourne”  with this sub-head: "How to spend a weekend in this coffee-sipping, culture-loving, boundary-pushing city in southern Australia."

Here are more of their story highlights: “Pity Melbourne: After seven years of topping the Economist Intelligence Unit’s most livable city rankings, it was finally displaced last year by another coffee-loving city, Vienna. Despite being nudged down a notch to No. 2, Melburnians aren’t too worried. Though the city is currently grappling with issues related to being such a popular place to live — rapid growth, high property prices, congested roads — the city in the southeastern part of Australia continues to be the country’s capital for all things cultural. There are more festivals than can fit on a calendar; a thriving, boundary-pushing restaurant scene; and a commitment to the arts that will only deepen with the National Gallery of Victoria’s plans to build the largest contemporary art gallery in Australia by 2025. Melbourne may have lost its crown, but it still has its spacious Victorian-era parks, flat whites and famously sunny way of life.”

Plus, this profile has many specific details, suggestions and ideas for places to visit, food, drinking and cultural options, etc., etc.  Here is another little sample from this detailed profile: "Built in 1878, the opulent, bayfront Hotel Esplanade was the epicenter of society life in St. Kilda’s early days. The philanthropist Alfred Felton, a major benefactor of the National Gallery of Victoria, lived here for over a decade until his death in 1904, and throughout the 20th century, the hotel was a premier music venue, hosting everything from jazz and big band performances to disco nights."

Does this article added to the friendly "debate" as to whether Melbourne or Sydney is better for visiting, where to live, etc.?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/travel/what-to-do-in-melbourne.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,057 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Below are three of the visuals to represent "life" in Melbourne as used by the New York Times to illustrate this interesting profile.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

424873088_ScreenShot2019-05-02at1_58_07PM.thumb.png.f0fbf46ca0f43c05b6d1148dc338fbee.png

609567014_ScreenShot2019-05-02at1_57_21PM.thumb.png.a0ed9c33d34f25a3ce58c1d47f455195.png

1873634569_ScreenShot2019-05-02at1_56_29PM.thumb.png.749b95e9ed935556bbbe3cd6f32a7a08.png

Thanks Terry. It’s all true! We love living in Melbourne but do love visiting other areas of Australia, especially Sydney! 

The photos do depict Melbourne quite well. The iconic tram, Victoria Market and the most amazing Europa cake shop in Ackland Street, St Kilda. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

5 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Does this article added to the friendly "debate" as to whether Melbourne or Sydney is better for visiting, where to live, etc.?

Great article! 🙂 (but i am biased).

As much as I am thoroughly a Melbournite, I do think Sydney is the better city for visiting - particulary short visits.  Its an extraordinarily photogenic place.

However, if you want to immerse yourself in the local culture and have more time to spend in a place, then I think Melbourne has the edge.

13 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Love your work Terry, cheers.

Great follow-ups from RadioBoy, possum52 and MicCanberra.  All sounds good and interesting for in and near Melbourne.  After our big visits last year to Southeast Asia and then doing an amazing Athens to Dubai adventure, including the Holy Lands, Egypt and Jordan, we are now preparing in July for our first visits to the western Canada Rockies, Vancouver and Alaska.  

Then in early 2020, we will get back, somewhat, close to Australia.  It will be an 18-day South Pacific exploring from Auckland to Tahiti after doing a week traveling around New Zealand's North Island.  Melbourne and more in Australia are still on the future "to-do" list, but it will not be able to happen until after 2020.  Unless, I win the big lottery and/or get some free gift travel certificates from the Aussie travel authorities, etc. Hint?  Hint?

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

23 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Sounds like a nice trip planned, I will see what I can do about the freebies for you but don't hold your breath, the travel authorities like to keep their money close to their wallets.

YES, some "freebies" would be nice, but I won't hold my breath waiting for them to arrive all of the way mail from Australia.  But we can always hope and dream, maybe??!!

Also agree that we are excited about this upcoming NZ/South Pacific adventure.  

From the CNN news network earlier this year, they had this headline: “Top attractions in Melbourne: The spots that will make your holiday”  with these highlights: “Melbourne, the second-largest city in Australia, overflows with first-rate attractions.  When you're coming up with you travel itinerary, Melbourne is one place you shouldn't forget.  It's a destination that has it all -- from cultural and architectural highlights to amazing outdoor locations.”

Here was a key top from this profile: "The City Circle Tram is a fantastic way for a newcomer to get the lay of the land or for Melbourne veterans to just get around and enjoy the sights.  In the Central Business District, the circular route goes clockwise and counterclockwise, rides past many of the major tourist attractions, has unlimited hop-on, hop-off service -- and is free!"

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/top-attractions-melbourne-australia/index.html

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 46,321 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here was one of the nice visuals featured in this CNN profile of Melbourne.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1705049033_ScreenShot2019-05-04at6_22_02PM.thumb.png.a20c16074fcb24bddb2078fcc56477f9.png

And all crowded too. Worse thing they did was making it all free.  They are a nightmare to get on and off. So crowded trying to get off at the bottom of Collins Street or Bourke Street. Accident waiting to happen.

I think Melbourne is overrated as a city. 

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

And all crowded too. Worse thing they did was making it all free.  They are a nightmare to get on and off. So crowded trying to get off at the bottom of Collins Street or Bourke Street. Accident waiting to happen.

I think Melbourne is overrated as a city. 

Packed trams would encourage walking I suppose.

14 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Good and interesting follow-ups and information.  "FREE" does sound good, but the point about over-crowding can be a challenge.  That can take away the "fun".  Great sharing.  Keep it coming. 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 45,368 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337