Nieuw Amsterdam accident

17 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

They paid a premium for aft balcony cabins, so I hope they didn't shove them into available insides or OV's. 

If they had to be downgraded I would expect they got a full refund. 

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The technical superintendents and technical buyers are there, and the railing parts are likely either off the shelf or stocked in a HAL warehouse, not necessarily from Italy, but probably European, but easily flown over.  The glass can be done by any glass works in the states, it is merely tempered glass.  Steelwork will likely be done at the next turn-around.  Couple weeks, tops.

The welded on a new Navigation Light at the stern before we sailed on NADM.  I've seen workers on deck four from the aft Lido deck  since we left Vancouver.  Will look up there today in Juneau and see if there is progress

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

It just so happens that I did study Latin for several years in my youth. A long, long time ago (but not in a far away land...)

I almost did; it used to be Greek or Latin in Holland - "Sit vis nobiscum." 🤓

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

???

Being able to see Russia from Wasilla - you have to go back to 2008 when Sara Palin (former Governor of Alaska) had her first major news interview since she was nominated for the Vice Presidental slot with Presidental candidate John McCain.  

"...Governor Palin’s 11 September 2008 appearance on ABC News, her first major interview after being tapped as the vice-presidential nominee. During that appearance, interviewer Charles Gibson asked her what insight she had gained from living so close to Russia, and she responded: “They’re our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."   Saturday Night Live's Tina Fey did a fantastic imitation of Palin.  She changed the "from an island in Alaska" to "from my backyard."  She lives in Wasilla.  Fey's Palin comment became known as what Palin actually said - Palin isn't the bulb in the pack, so it was perfectly normal to think that is what she said.

A little history lesson...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Being able to see Russia from Wasilla - you have to go back to 2008 when Sara Palin (former Governor of Alaska) had her first major news interview since she was nominated for the Vice Presidental slot with Presidental candidate John McCain.  

"...Governor Palin’s 11 September 2008 appearance on ABC News, her first major interview after being tapped as the vice-presidential nominee. During that appearance, interviewer Charles Gibson asked her what insight she had gained from living so close to Russia, and she responded: “They’re our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."   Saturday Night Live's Tina Fey did a fantastic imitation of Palin.  She changed the "from an island in Alaska" to "from my backyard."  She lives in Wasilla.  Fey's Palin comment became known as what Palin actually said - Palin isn't the bulb in the pack, so it was perfectly normal to think that is what she said.

A little history lesson...

You can see Russia from Dutch Harbor...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frankc98376 said:

The welded on a new Navigation Light at the stern before we sailed on NADM.  I've seen workers on deck four from the aft Lido deck  since we left Vancouver.  Will look up there today in Juneau and see if there is progress

I would think that the stern navigation light being dead would be a no-go item.   Same as in aviation.   Transport Canada probably required that light replacement before they would give their blessing to sail.

3 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

I would think that the stern navigation light being dead would be a no-go item.   Same as in aviation.   Transport Canada probably required that light replacement before they would give their blessing to sail.

Was the reason we were a little late sailing.  They couldn't do any welding until bunkering was complete

49 minutes ago, slimknyzer said:

OMGoodness!  We are sailing on the O in two weeks.  I had originally booked 4185 aft W/A but changed to a higher stateroom.  I know they will get her "fixed", but I'm glad I changed.

Oosterdam had very little appearant damage. Looked like one cracked glass panel on deck 4 starboard aft wrap suite

• Like 1

We say several men boarding NADM in Juneau this morning with luggage that didn't appear to be crew.  I'm guessing they will be working on the six aft verandas as their ID's around their necks didn't look like HAL ID's.

20 minutes ago, frankc98376 said:

Oosterdam had very little appearant damage. Looked like one cracked glass panel on deck 4 starboard aft wrap suite

Some of Saturday's pics showed what appeared to be, Oostie's aft camera, having taken a trip to to the land of eternal cameras and crew were later seen placing a tarp around it

IMG_7669.thumb.jpeg.842699126316af7f9743a073d15737f9.jpeg

IMG_7671.thumb.jpeg.365e8746fc9ed40a7a9aabe29810c89c.jpeg

3 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

I would hope the Captain wouldn’t need Transport Canada to tell him that.  

3 hours ago, frankc98376 said:

That is what I thought I saw too. NA however was missing (or had mangled) considerable railing, glass panels, and an aft cam or light apparatus. Poor NA took the brunt of the damage it seemed. 

Edited by fatcat04