PERSCRIPTION MEDICINES

hlfrps

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Negative.  There is no federal law that requires prescriptions to be in their original labeled containers.  

Uh, negative again in that it is State laws that mandate prescriptions be in the original containers in which they were dispensed.  There is a wealth of data on-line from legal firms quoting the applicable laws.

1 hour ago, chilly1470 said:

Positive:  A person is not authorized to possess his or her own prescription drug unless the drug is “in the container in which it was delivered by the person selling or dispensing the drug.” 17-A M.R.S. section 1107-A (2), 22 M.R.S. section 2383-B (1).

1 hour ago, HuliHuli said:

Uh, negative again in that it is State laws that mandate prescriptions be in the original containers in which they were dispensed.  There is a wealth of data on-line from legal firms quoting the applicable laws.

One more time...as I said, FEDERAL LAW does not require prescription meds to be in their original labeled containers.  It is FEDERAL LAW that applies when you clear Customs on a cruise ship.

If the OP happens to be cruising out of Maine then yes, abide by that Maine law.     

It never fails on these prescription meds threads that someone will erroneously report that it is the law, probably because they saw someone else say it on past threads.  If what you meant to say was, it is the law in some states, say that from the beginning.   One state that does not have that law is Florida.  

And by the way, Chilly1470, you forgot to include the part of the Maine statute that includes "when in use" as an exemption from the original container law...specifically the part that says: "For purposes of this subsection, "when in use" includes reasonable repackaging for more convenient legitimate medical use."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

It is FEDERAL LAW that applies when you clear Customs on a cruise ship.

For the sake of this thread about bringing prescription medications in a 7 day pill organizer ... 

Come the end of a 7 night cruise and you are clearing Customs, would not the 7 day pill organizer be empty?

• Like 2

Will it be a problem? Probably not. Could it be a problem, maybe. It's all very vague. However, I will tell you this. I carry my prescription bottles but only with the pills I need for the week plus a little extra. For OTC meds, I use a pill organizer with labels that I printed from the internet. I have never been questioned. I also never take any medicine off the ship. It always stays in the room. 

Yes, some people are correct about certain countries being super strict. I recently flew to Taiwan, connecting flight was through Japan. We had to go through Japanese customs despite it being a layover and they do not allow certain OTC or prescriptions meds even if they are prescribed to you. This doesnt apply for a Caribbean cruise, so you should be good to go.

12 minutes ago, hlfrps said:

Thanks everyone. Pill box loaded, picture taken of pill bottles and as always will be carrying wallet list of meds. 

If you have the additional labels that most pharmacies staple to the bag, I recommend throwing those into your bag, just in case it becomes an issue.  While the bottles are not required by law, proof of prescription still is. 

Enjoy your cruise!  😊

I live in Costa Rica and pharmacies here do not label prescriptions, and do not even keep a record of what they sell except for a list they keep for the government for controlled drugs. I used to worry about being questioned, but they never seem to, even when in Europe for 4 weeks. I do bring the Doctor’s written prescription list with me just in case. The pharmacies here give it back to you, and do not keep anything. Everything here is in blister packs with the drug name on the back, no bottles. I worry more about airports than cruises.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:53 PM, chilly1470 said:

It's actually not a suggestion, it's the law. You can have a lot of hassles with customs, law officers and security. When you carry your prescription pills, they must be in the labeled container. That is the only way to identify them and prove they are yours. 

Everything about this post is wrong. No it is not the law and no it is not the only way to identify them. 

Edited to say never mind. You’ve already been corrected on this. 

Edited by Cruzaholic41
Already been schooled.
  • Like 2

Other than vacation why would you carry around prescription drugs. Year round they are in my medicine cabinet. We travel and they go in a pill dispenser. This is getting so silly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Everything about this post is wrong. No it is not the law and no it is not the only way to identify them. 

Edited to say never mind. You’ve already been corrected on this. 

Hahaha, you are too much, "I've been corrected", good one. Everything about your post is wrong. Go away and don't bother responding, I don't follow drivel.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, Aquahound said:

One more time...as I said, FEDERAL LAW does not require prescription meds to be in their original labeled containers.  It is FEDERAL LAW that applies when you clear Customs on a cruise ship.

If the OP happens to be cruising out of Maine then yes, abide by that Maine law.     

It never fails on these prescription meds threads that someone will erroneously report that it is the law, probably because they saw someone else say it on past threads.  If what you meant to say was, it is the law in some states, say that from the beginning.   One state that does not have that law is Florida.  

And by the way, Chilly1470, you forgot to include the part of the Maine statute that includes "when in use" as an exemption from the original container law...specifically the part that says: "For purposes of this subsection, "when in use" includes reasonable repackaging for more convenient legitimate medical use."

Go scold someone else, oh wise one, telling me what I meant to say. Here is this:  Keep your meds in their bottles, they came that way for a reason, Use common sense.

• Like 1

There is no way that Carnival is going to take the time to examine a bunch of pills.  If you're old, have health problems or take supplements, you're going to be packing pills.

2 hours ago, chilly1470 said:

Hahaha, you are too much, "I've been corrected", good one. Everything about your post is wrong. Go away and don't bother responding, I don't follow drivel.

2 hours ago, chilly1470 said:

Go scold someone else, oh wise one, telling me what I meant to say. Here is this:  Keep your meds in their bottles, they came that way for a reason, Use common sense.

And yet, you are still wrong and it is still legal to carry meds outside their bottles. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chilly1470 said:

Here is this:  Keep your meds in their bottles, they came that way for a reason, Use common sense.

That's personal preference, not the law as you so incorrectly stated.  Big difference.  And as you can see from this thread, many prefer to use daily organizers.  You have your preference and they have theirs....and both are legal.  Period. 

I've never had anyone even look at my medications.  OTC supplements are in a daily pill box.  I used to put my prescription meds in it as well.  However, I now take a small supply in labeled pharmacy bottles.  My reasoning is that if I were to be stuck at sea for more days than expected, I would not want to run out of necessary prescriptions.  Also, if there were some medical issue, it would be helpful to have the actual labeling there for the doctor.

My understanding is that only "controlled substances" as designated and classified  by the DEA must be carried in their original container with label. All others can be carried however you want. 

1 minute ago, gtouch said:

My understanding is that only "controlled substances" as designated and classified  by the DEA must be carried in their original container with label. All others can be carried however you want. 

You’re required to carry proof of prescription but nowhere in federal law does it say it has to be in the original container. 

On 5/7/2019 at 9:47 AM, dmdiver said:

I've never had anyone even look at my medications.    I used to put my prescription meds in it as well.  However, I now take a small supply in labeled pharmacy bottles.  My reasoning is that if I were to be stuck at sea for more days than expected, I would not want to run out of necessary prescriptions.  Also, if there were some medical issue, it would be helpful to have the actual labeling there for the doctor.

I take eight different  medications.  I bought a shaving kit and carry them in it in their original bottles when we cruise.  It does't take up that much space and as dmdiver said, if something happens, I don't have to worry about not having enough.  For the fish oil capsules, I just fill up an empty Rx bottle with some.