Information request on 4 night cruises

g683002

Hi all. I’ve been a loyal NCL cruiser for a few years now but considering a 4 night sailing in carnival for a long weekend with friends. Would love advise on the following:

1. How does Carnival compare to NCL in terms of activities and food?

2. Is there a lobster night on a 4 night trip?

3. I’m looking at the Dream and the Elation. Dream only visits Cozumel. Elation makes two stops in the Bahamas. Please share thoughts on those ships and itineraries. 

4. Do we have to dress up any specific nights?

5. Anything else I should know?

Thank you you for your time. I appreciate any information to help make this decision. 

No lobster on 4 night trips. There may be one "elegant" night but it is not dressy if you don't want to dress up. Just not shorts at night for dinner.

I don't like those short cruises but that's me!

I also don't like NCL so cannot give you a good comparison.

I have cruised Carnival and NCL, and I prefer Carnival.  Service is better, food is better, entertainment is better.  This is, of course, my opinion, and there are probably some that feel differently.  Last time on NCL, the bartenders couldn’t keep up.  On the day at their private island, I came back early and hung out at the pool; I couldn’t get a server to bring me a drink so I had to go to the bar myself on more than one occasion.  I found the food on NCL to be sub-par and you could tell that it was sitting under the warmer for quite some time before being brought to me.

as for the lobster, that question was answered.  However, the Dream does have a steakhouse.  They do let you order some items off the steakhouse menu for a charge, and you may be able to get your lobster that way.  I say may as I really am not sure as I have never ordered lobster (I am allergic to Shellfish).

i have not been on either of those ships, so I cannot comment on them.  I have been to the Bahamas and Cozumel, and prefer Cozumel.  Again, my preference.  Do you want to do more ports or would you prefer to have more time at sea.  It is really up to you.

On 5/5/2019 at 2:42 PM, g683002 said:

Hi all. I’ve been a loyal NCL cruiser for a few years now but considering a 4 night sailing in carnival for a long weekend with friends. Would love advise on the following:

1. How does Carnival compare to NCL in terms of activities and food?

2. Is there a lobster night on a 4 night trip?

3. I’m looking at the Dream and the Elation. Dream only visits Cozumel. Elation makes two stops in the Bahamas. Please share thoughts on those ships and itineraries. 

4. Do we have to dress up any specific nights?

5. Anything else I should know?

Thank you you for your time. I appreciate any information to help make this decision. 

If you can go on a Carnival ship that has the Alchemy bar, do it. It’s a great experience!

There’s usually one formal night & quite a few people on a 4 day tend to not dress up to the nines. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2246

i would also do a search for “fun times Carnival 4-day” - you can get an idea of activities.

Two places I go to in checking out menus are:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/CarnivalCruiseLineMenus.htm

and cruise radio dot net

I've done 10 Carnival but my last cruise was NCL. I wasn't a big fan of NCL - it was fine but I didn't enjoy it any more than Carnival. The kids enjoy the kids program on both Carnival and NCL.

The Dream is a more comparable shim to much of the NCL fleet as it is larger and newer. I've been on the smaller Fantasy class ships like the Elation most than any other kind but coming from NCL you might not like it as much. Some people find some of the decorations on Carnival ships to be a bit more garish but it doesn't bother me.

I didn't think the food was any better on NCL. It was fine but it didn't really stand out. We didn't do any specialty restaurants that you have to pay for though.

Neither cruise line has much of a dress code any more - I saw more people in shorts and t-shirts in the dining rooms on NCL than anywhere else.

The only thing I can really help you with is ship selection. Elation is part of Carnival's Fantasy class of ships, which is their oldest and smallest. She however did receive a pretty intensive dry dock back in 2017. Dream is the lead ship in Carnival's Dream class, which is their second largest and second newest class of ships. As far as features that you will find on Dream that you won't on Elation, they include the following food outlets- the Steakhouse (upcharge), Guy's Bar-B-Que (free), Seafood Shack (upcharge), Bonsai Sushi (upcharge), Mongolian Wok (free), and a free build your own pasta bar open at lunch. Dream also has the ever popular Alchemy Bar that the Elation does not. Dream has a pool side movie screen where they show movies at night. And if you are interest in the Spa services, those are much more extensive on the Dream. I will freely admit however, I am a bit biased considering the Dream is my favorite ship that I have been on so far. Having said all that though, Carnival does a very good job of providing the same level of service and the same "fun ship" experience on all their ships old and new. You will have a great time either way.

Been on a few of the carnival ships. 

Breeze
Conquest  
Dream
Ecstasy
Elation  2021
Fascination
Freedom
Glory
Imagination
Liberty
Magic 2019
Mardi Gras 2020
Miracle
Radiance  2021
Sensation
Splendor
Sunshine
Valor
Victory

Yes the Dream is a dream. I do recommend it. All the extras it has to offer. Once in a great while we will do a 4 day. Sometime to squeeze it between our normal 4-6 a year. Enjoy every second. It is a very short cruise. Get up early every day.