Riviera Update - any further news?

TomOG

I wonder if Oceania follows any of these boards so they can correct problems that have easy solutions?   Going on first Oceania cruise and wondering if it is the right decision.  Love Celebrity, Princess Okay, and did Disney with family.   For the price difference and fewer free add-ons I hope I am impressed.

Edited by pna

Pna, don’t worry, there’s a whole lot good on Oceania. I’ve done more than 35 cruises on Celebrity, but left that line because of their increasing prices and lowered product.  We found a decline in service on Celebrity, and a big decline in food quality. 

• Like 3

Like I said in a previous post, the updates are completely underwhelming.  The specialties got new carpet but that’s all.  I have no idea why O touted these supposed improvements, but you really can’t see any real changes.  The only big change is Baristas. 

15 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Like I said in a previous post, the updates are completely underwhelming.  The specialties got new carpet but that’s all.  I have no idea why O touted these supposed improvements, but you really can’t see any real changes.  The only big change is Baristas. 

Thank you, I didn’t see anything mentioned specifically regarding the specialties. I guess no major changes until “Next” in a couple years.

This morning we had a “What the hell” moment.  Before 8am, the cruise director comes blasting into the cabins with his Good Morning announcement. I was sound asleep and thought there was some sort of emergency, but noooooo.  He just wanted to wake everyone up.  If this is his way of operating, there’s gonna be a lot of hacked off passengers. 

4 hours ago, kitty9 said:

This morning we had a “What the hell” moment.  Before 8am, the cruise director comes blasting into the cabins with his Good Morning announcement. I was sound asleep and thought there was some sort of emergency, but noooooo.  He just wanted to wake everyone up.  If this is his way of operating, there’s gonna be a lot of hacked off passengers. 

3 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Who is the cruise director ? 

I don't remember announcements until around 9am, unless it's a port day and then information is usually given when the ship has been cleared.

This guy should be fired.  Needs re training on how to treat his customers.  Not very funny for the people that want to sleep. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I can see where that would be very annoying if I was trying to sleep in.  And I would say something about it, and ask that he be counseled not to do that again. 

However, one ill-timed announcement is not grounds for termination.

Dottie just left on vacation and this guy’s name is John.  Older guy with gray hair.  I haven’t heard of him before, but he’s also some kind of magician.  Dottie never did her daily announcements where they came into the cabins full out. If you wanted to hear them, you had to put your tv on channel four and listen that way.  

My my sister was in the medical center (the stylist in the Canyon Ranch Spa cut her ear with scissors), and another passenger came in.  He said he fell in St Mark’s Square and hit his head.  Emergency services took him to the local hospital, which he said was modern, very clean and efficient.  Now get this when you think of medical care in the US.  They only charged the man 335 Euros for a CT scan, blood work, Xrays and everything else.  Care to guess what that would cost in the US?   Then they transported him to the ship, and brought him to the medical center.  He said he felt fine, but he needs to visit the doctor for a few days.  Not a good way to start a cruise. 

• Thanks 1

Kitty 9

Too bad the “left coast” IT company that chartered Riveria before your sailing wasn’t SpaceX.  It launched 60 satellites a few days ago, the first of 12,000 going up for the low orbit (speedy internet) starlink project.  In this day and age there is no excuse for such poor internet service.  

I’m on Marina for two weeks in July and would have booked the extended voyage but I can’t be disconnected from the office for extended periods of time so 2 weeks is my limit on O.  We will be in hotels  the additional two weeks because of poor internet when I would much rather have stayed on the ship.  

When I take my kids and grandkids on Mega of the Seas there are 6000 people streaming Netflix and using FaceTime and Skype without issue at a very low cost.  Seabourn, Azamara, Celebrity all zippy, no problem, Oceania, just horrible, VERY FRUSTRATING, I just don’t get it.

• Like 3

When you look at Riviera’s schedule, you’ll see a big chunk of January is unavailable. I asked the future cruise lady why this is and she told me it’s because there are three 7 day full charters.  So no bookings from Jan 5 through Jan 26. 

On 5/23/2019 at 9:43 AM, PaulMCO said:

Regarding sports on TV and other news programs -- the items are available on the satellite feed.  O is just is to cheap to pay for them....  They take the most basic package.

Which is  why I love O....... Strange as it may seem I actually sail to enjoy the ship and sea travel...I  don't even bring any electronic gizmos. that would detract from the experience.   

The Pope, President, Kings, Queens, Diplomats, the Military and leaders of  finance and industry  will just have to get along without my input when I cruise......    Cruising is all about the travel experience....isn't it?.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RJB said:

In the Cruise Critic news section there is an article about all the new  Riviera updates.   Sounds very nice.  Everyone should read it.  

If it doesn't reference upgrading their Internet service to include expanded router connectivity in the cabin area, then I'll pass.

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If it doesn't reference upgrading their Internet service to include expanded router connectivity in the cabin area, then I'll pass.

Think they might have done it without telling us?   Guess not.  too bad as it needs to be done. 

• Like 2

As for the Dom pairing dinner, they fail to mention that it costs $325 per person plus gratuities.  

I discovered how to get faster internet———-you pay for it.  One of our trivia team mates did buy it and said the connection is a lot faster than the free internet. 

20 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

As for the Dom pairing dinner, they fail to mention that it costs $325 per person plus gratuities.  

I discovered how to get faster internet———-you pay for it.  One of our trivia team mates did buy it and said the connection is a lot faster than the free internet. 

Sounds like a bait and switch to me.     And they can keep their Dom.  Don't like it that much anyway.

• Like 1