MTD

We are sailing on the Allure in September and we can now pick our times for MTD.  The earliest time is 6:30? I guess I just assumed it started at 5:30 or 6.  What is the reasoning for that time since it could interfere with an 8:30 show?

6 minutes ago, doones2 said:

We are sailing on the Allure in September and we can now pick our times for MTD.  The earliest time is 6:30? I guess I just assumed it started at 5:30 or 6.  What is the reasoning for that time since it could interfere with an 8:30 show?

Royal does not share the details of their internal reasoning for these decisions.

You may be able to make earlier reservations on board.  Failing that, you can show up whenever you like.

I suspect it is to allow first seating to get rolling in MDR before the start of MTD. But every one I've been on is this way. Usually it's still enough time to get to second show if that's your concern.

29 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

I got 5:30 for many evenings on Anthem in June... but I did make my reservations as soon as they opened.

Agree. That's the secret if you want to reserve early MTD. That's what I always do and never have a problem getting the time we want. 

Edited by davekathy

I WISH I could get 6:30 on MTD. Seems, even booking early, I am stuck with their time slot 5:30- 6 pm, and then nothing until after 8 pm.  We prefer 6:30-7 pm and can never get it.  

I have given up on making reservations for MTD, and will just show up when we want.  If we can't get seated within 15 minutes...we just go to the WJ.  

For Coastal Kitchen, we ask for and receive, 6:30 every night...no problems.

Edited by island lady

We have always had MTD and never make reservations because we are never sure what time we will be ready for dinner, we just turn up when ready and never had a problem getting seated within a few minutes except once when we were given a buzzer device that let us know when to come back, just went to a local bar and had a drink and a chat till it went off.

2 hours ago, Rogerandsue said:

We have always had MTD and never make reservations because we are never sure what time we will be ready for dinner, we just turn up when ready and never had a problem getting seated within a few minutes except once when we were given a buzzer device that let us know when to come back, just went to a local bar and had a drink and a chat till it went off.

Agree...which is pretty much set up like any other land based restaurants. 

What does annoy me is when the staff thinks they need to seat you at same table, same waiter/asst. waiter...even when you did not request them.  They will make you wait until that table is ready.  When we tell them we will take any table, they seem annoyed.  Trying to run it too much like traditional dining.  IMHO that is not the reason MTD was created...supposed to be "on my time"...not theirs.  

On 5/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, mac1_131 said:

I suspect it is to allow first seating to get rolling in MDR before the start of MTD. But every one I've been on is this way. Usually it's still enough time to get to second show if that's your concern.

That would only make sense if MTD and main dining are in the same dining room.  They are not.  Even in the ships where there is one multifloor dining room MTD is on a separate floor.

OP, we are seeing the same thing for Allure and Harmony - earliest times available are 6:30.  If that doesn't change before we sail will just check with the dining room when we get onboard.  Last time we had 5:45 as earliest but when I asked the dining room opened at 5:15.  Took her about 15 seconds to change all our reservations.

On 5/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, mac1_131 said:

Every ship we've been on MTD starts 30 minutes before TD.