One night stay in Seward recommendations

Mountaineer0313

We cruised Northbound last year, but are booked southbound for next year, in August. We plan to fly into Anchorage a few days before we leave, and we have friends in Wasilla. But I really want to do the Kenai Fjords boat tour with Major Marine the day before we leave and then spend that night in Seward. Any recommendations for a hotel/air bnb/etc. in Seward for just one night?

You could take the train from Anchorage and arrive in Seward in time to do the Fjords boat tour before your ship sails.  You wouldn’t have to spend an expensive night in Seward if you only want to do the Kenai fjords tour.

We have stayed in what is now named the Harbor 360 Hotel since has been re-named.  We also stayed there when it was a Holiday Inn Express.  The name was changed as the owners of Major Marine purchased the hotel property.  You can now check in for your Major Marine excursion at the Major Marine counter off of the lobby, finish your included breakfast, and then return to the room for your gear for the day.  Incredibly convenient.  And while I am indifferent, my husband has a definite preference for the rooms which overlook the small boat harbor.  The Harbor 360 is also incredibly close to both Ray's Waterfront and Chinooks restaurants.

We have also stayed at the Best Western property which is near the SeaLife Center -- is my memory correct that it is named the Edgewater?  We actually prefer the Harbor 360, but in our case one reason for that preference is that parking is so much better at the Harbor 360.

Seward is a beautiful town. When we stayed there overnight, we stayed outside city limits because the taxes were so much cheaper outside city limits. The overnight prices may seem reasonable but when you add the taxes, wow...they hit hard. That said, I wouldn't recommend the Salmon Bake Cabins on the road to Exit Glacier. It was fine for our purposes for the night because we had a rental car and wanted 3 real beds for our family...but I wouldn't choose to stay there again.

2 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

You could take the train from Anchorage and arrive in Seward in time to do the Fjords boat tour before your ship sails.  You wouldn’t have to spend an expensive night in Seward if you only want to do the Kenai fjords tour.

No, we’d need to spend the night of the boat tour as our cruise will depart the next day. 

38 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

No, we’d need to spend the night of the boat tour as our cruise will depart the next day. 

People actually do the train, boat tour in Seward and then jump on the ship the same day, frequently. Your ship most likely doesn’t depart until early evening. I do think your plan is good though because there is just so much to do in Seward. You’ll have the entire next day to explore Seward before you embark.

We prefer Harbor360 as well.

I cannot recommend it yet but we have a one night stay booked in the Seward Windsong Lodge in 16 days. Maybe others here can say what they think of the place. The total cost for a deck room king was $205. It looks like a nice place and is on the north edge of Seward. DW booked it thru https://www.alaskacollection.com/lodging/seward-windsong-lodge/

1 hour ago, masterdrago said:

I cannot recommend it yet but we have a one night stay booked in the Seward Windsong Lodge in 16 days. ....

I know where the Windsong Lodge is located.  And I sincerely hope that you understand that I, as someone who actually lives in Alaska,  would not  describe it as being located on "the north edge of Seward."  For folks who have actually been to Seward I wonder how many folks would agree with it being on "the north edge of Seward."  Just a thought.

8 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I know where the Windsong Lodge is located.  And I sincerely hope that you understand that I, as someone who actually lives in Alaska,  would not  describe it as being located on "the north edge of Seward."  For folks who have actually been to Seward I wonder how many folks would agree with it being on "the north edge of Seward."  Just a thought.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess that looking at the location map provided on the Alaska collections web page and seeing it inside the light colored area inside the Kenai Fjords National Park had me fooled. Using Google, it does appear about 2.3 miles north of the pier where the cruise ships dock and the boat harbor. It sounded like the OP was going to have a rent car. And again, I cannot recommend the place since we will not have stayed there until May 23-24. The Harbor 360 Hotel looks way more convenient. Both of the locations offer packages that include tours and are priced similar. It also might depend on the atmosphere one is more interested in. Noise level, traffic, smell, and view may also come into play when making a decision.

seward google maps.jpg

seward winsong lodge location.jpg

We spent 1 night in Seward and stayed at The Breeze Inn http://www.breezeinn.com/.  It was a great location to walk into town, pick up the shuttle, etc. and they had a shuttle to take us to the cruise ship dock.  They also stored our luggage before and after we checked in/out.  Rooms aren't anything special, but we did request a room with a harbor view and AC.  This was the view from our room when we woke up in the morning!

Very short walk to Major Marine tours!

IMG_2120.JPG

Edited by Bearvet

16 hours ago, Glaciers said:

People actually do the train, boat tour in Seward and then jump on the ship the same day, frequently. Your ship most likely doesn’t depart until early evening. I do think your plan is good though because there is just so much to do in Seward. You’ll have the entire next day to explore Seward before you embark.

We prefer Harbor360 as well.

Yep, this is our plan. I hate rushing for anything, and we didn't stay in Seward long after we disembarked last year, so I definitely want to stick around and try out the restaurants and just look at the beautiful scenery before we get on the ship. Harbor360 looks like it will be perfect for that.

I had to look it up...but we hit up the gift shop in the Breeze Inn. There were some really nice fleece products in there that are Made in Alaska. I bought a hat...but there were great vests and fleece jackets/pullovers. Anyway...I would also check out the Breeze Inn for comparison. It is across the street from Ray's, at that end of town near the Harbor one.

http://www.breezeinn.com

We ate lunch at Ray's. I would definitely eat there again. Lovely restaurant and view...and the food was good.

Edited by Anita Latte