Are the Atlantic waters rough for a cruise over to Bermuda?

etravel

Hello...we are considering the NCL Encore from NYC to Bermuda next May...have done several Caribbean cruises where generally the waters were very smooth....have heard off and on that the crossing from NY to Bermuda is often a rough ride! Hoping not, b/c really interested in Bermuda and the NCL Encore! Any thoughts or experiences to share? Thanks! 

48 minutes ago, etravel said:

Hello...we are considering the NCL Encore from NYC to Bermuda next May...have done several Caribbean cruises where generally the waters were very smooth....have heard off and on that the crossing from NY to Bermuda is often a rough ride! Hoping not, b/c really interested in Bermuda and the NCL Encore! Any thoughts or experiences to share? Thanks! 

Sometimes but not generally.  I have had Caribbean saIlings that are rough. Maybe a slightly higher percentage I have been on have been rough to Bermuda. A reason why there may be more rough days to Bermuda is that in the Caribbean there is more ways to sail away from rough seas. Sailing out of the northeast to Bermuda generally has to be in one direction.

Edited by Charles4515

13 minutes ago, meglet said:

Even in June you can occasionally get a rough patch.  I'd suggest doing the trip later.  I know it's hard - more crowds when schools are out.

Sailings to Bermuda I have done in August and September were the ones that had some rough days. Things can get stirred up in peak hurricane season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, etravel said:

Charles...thanks for your info..we are looking at May, but who knows I guess about how the conditions might be! 

That is right, can't predict ahead what the conditions will be next May or any time. I have done Bermuda twice in May and I don't book Bermuda in May, not because of concern about rough seas, they were not rough on those sailings, but because the water temperature in Bermuda is too cool for me to swim in May. Other people can swim in May  but I need warmer water temps.  So I book June or later now. The air temperature in Bermuda is pleasant May.  On the sea days in May the  air temp tcan be brisk as even if it is 75 outside the moving ship can make that feel brisk, so laying out on the deck or being  on a balcony is not like the Caribbean. I could not be outside much. That would be mitigated if the ship you book has an indoor pool or solarium. 

Thanks again Charles...yes, we are looking at the Encore and I may try for the last week in May, gets me a little closer to June! I do like warmer water though, so that is a consideration! 

We went in May from Boston 4 years ago (In fact doing it again 5/24).   It was bad.   Everyone getting sick (including my wife), lots of dropped plates.   It was not a hurricane or anything like that, we always felt safe.  But that boat was rocking.  If you book May, my suggestion is book in the middle of the ship.   Or down below if you are getting an inside.  

Unfortunately, the answer is "maybe".  We've cruised to Bermuda out of NY/NJ 20-something times now, always in May or Sept.  Some sailings the sea was as smooth as glass, some times a little bit rocky.

Just back from May 4 sailing. One night was pretty rough although there was no bad weather in the area. Large swells caused quite a bit of movement during the night. It was less on the way back but you could still feel that you were on the ship. As a comparison, some cruises we have felt no movement at all. 

There were no sick bags out, but many people commenting on the movement.

We have had rougher weather at various times, but it is unpredictable. Have sailed to Bermuda April, May, June, July, August. You just never know. They have free meclizine (Bonine) available at the medical facility.

I agree with kernie968. Its a crap shoot and can be rough on any sailing.

Book the trip and hope for the best. Its the North Atlantic, after all.

We've sailed R/T to Bermuda from NYC over 10 times (always July - September) and had only two

bad experiences on the 20+ "legs" sailed. Perhaps we've been lucky but I believe your odds are

good during the Summer months. We're going again this August. Its well worth the risk!

We have always sailed to Bermuda between mid to late June and never had a problem.  Even at that date, the water in Horseshoe Bay was a little cool.  Keep in mind that Bermuda really isn't that far south.  It's off the coast of the Carolina's.  It is not a Caribbean island.

We are also just back from the May 4 Anthem sailing. We definitely felt a lot of movement on the way down and on the way back. I wasn’t sick (I do take Bonine), but at times I had trouble walking!

On the 4/28 sailing the seas only got to around 8 feet but the ship had some movement.  There were winds up to 40mph so I think the winds have to do more with the movement on this ship.  My hangers in the closet were making noise the 2nd night.

The first sea day and the last day was a little rough but it still wasn't bad.