Connecting to Pacific Coastal with a 1 day cruise

MoyCoy

I am sailing on the Bliss September 30th.  A 6 day Pacific Coastal which overnights (sort of..really leaves at 230am) in Vancouver. Then goes to Seattle,  Victoria,  San Fran, disembarking in LA. I booked a 1 day on Holland from Seattle to Vancouver,  29th disembarking in Vancouver the 30th. We have done this before when we sailed to Hawaii and on a Pacific Coastal.  But this intin is a little different and we may need to clear customs in San Fran. I have called my PCC twice, no answer. I am wondering if this seems like a maritime law infraction?

Thank you!!

I'm no expert, but I don't know why it would be an issue.  You'll have fulfilled the requirement about stopping in a foreign port when you stop in Victoria -- but that is a weird itinerary.

We did something similar years ago.  Took a  Princess from Seattle to Vancouver.  Boarded an NCL ship in Vancouver, spent the next day in Victoria, then on to Astoria and San Francisco before ending up in LA.  That didn't cause any issues at all.

18 minutes ago, ute_fan said:

I'm no expert, but I don't know why it would be an issue.  You'll have fulfilled the requirement about stopping in a foreign port when you stop in Victoria -- but that is a weird itinerary.

We did something similar years ago.  Took a  Princess from Seattle to Vancouver.  Boarded an NCL ship in Vancouver, spent the next day in Victoria, then on to Astoria and San Francisco before ending up in LA.  That didn't cause any issues at all.

Thank you!

No rules broke here -

You are NOT sailing a single foreign vessel between points in the USA without a foreign port call.

You would be taking two separate cruises - all rules conditions satisfied.

This is NOT the Jones (Cargo shipping) Act but the PVSA Passenger Vessel Services Act

LINK:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3363

Comment just make sure you have adequate connection time between cruises or a fast pilot boat to catch up !

33 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Comment just make sure you have adequate connection time between cruises or a fast pilot boat to catch up

Only need 20 minutes to get off one ship, walk across the terminal to go through customs and board the other.  Biggest issue is being on board the second one in time for the safety drill...

There would be no issues with this cruise set up as far as the PVSA goes - you are leaving Seattle and going to Vancouver on a different cruise line - you will arrive on Sept 30 at 7:00AM - you will then board the NCL Bliss that afternoon- evening and set sail at 2:30AM on Oct 1 - arrive in Victoria Oct2 and then sail to San Fran and on to LA.

As for San Fran - I suspect that you will have to go through immigration there as it is the first US port after your foreign port.

This is similar to the New England cruises that land in a US port that is not the final port after being in Canada. We had to do this in Bar Harbor  when we came from a Canadian port when our final port was Boston. They simply check your passport and put a sticker on your key card. As long as you are a US citizen there is no problem.

You will still need to pass through customs in LA - just like we did in Boston.

14 hours ago, ute_fan said:

Right, we were on that trip with you.  IIRC your mother got busted by NCL for trying to bring her airline bottle of booze that she won on the Princess cruise. 

Several of us looked at doing the one night NCL to Vancouver and some had booked before it was a No.  Only guessing here since two different lines no problem.

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

Right, we were on that trip with you.  IIRC your mother got busted by NCL for trying to bring her airline bottle of booze that she won on the Princess cruise. 

Several of us looked at doing the one night NCL to Vancouver and some had booked before it was a No.  Only guessing here since two different lines no problem.

I think you're right about the two lines different lines.  That seemed to be the work around when we did ours.

When did you sail?  It's not me you're thinking of because my Mom never cruised in her life.  We went in September, 2009.  Could 

4 hours ago, ute_fan said:

I think you're right about the two lines different lines.  That seemed to be the work around when we did ours.

When did you sail?  It's not me you're thinking of because my Mom never cruised in her life.  We went in September, 2009.  Could 

Yes, we were on the Star Pacific Coastal at that time too.  It must have been someone else in the rollcall that we met above the pool by the bar the first afternoon with our mardi gras beads that was with their mother.

48 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Yes, we were on the Star Pacific Coastal at that time too.  It must have been someone else in the rollcall that we met above the pool by the bar the first afternoon with our mardi gras beads that was with their mother.

Definitely the same cruise.  I've always been sad my Mom never got to cruise.  I think she would have enjoyed it, but by the time we got started cruising she wasn't in good enough health to want to go.

This will not be an issue.  By the way it wouldn't matter if it was the same cruise line either as long as it is two different ships.  We have done this multiple times especially in Vancouver.  We take an Alaska cruise, hop off and take another cruise home to SF.  We have used the same line but different ships to do this.  You cannot, however use the same ship to do this (i.e. first cruise is ending in Vancouver, and then a new second cruise on that same ship leaves that day and you re-board.)  If you keep in mind that over the full combination of cruises you cannot start in one US port (i.e. Seattle)and end in a different US port (i.e. LA) without going to a FAR distant foreign port (Canada and Mexico are not considered to meet this criteria)- then you cannot do it on the same ship.