Beware of Taxi Ripoff from Cape Liberty Cruise Port!

Just returned from Celebrity cruise.   Had not taken a taxi from EWR to port so had no idea of cost back to EWR.   Was directed to taxi area by official in the terminal.   It was a long walk but was clearly the shuttle bus/taxi pick up.  There was a man who was lining people up, asking where they were going & then directing us to the next car in line.   Some were taxis some were plain cars.   Upon hearing where we were headed he would give a price.   I did not hear any other prices.   He told us $60 to EWR, $20 for shuttle.   It might have been $30 for shuttle.   This seemed high to us but we didn't want to wait around for a shuttle.   So got in the plain car which had no markings in or out as a taxi.    After a 10 - 15 min ride ( understand now its 10 miles) we arrived & the driver said $90 covers everything!  Being 2 women with a plane to catch we did not want to argue.   There is an area before you get to the taxi area where people seemed to be waiting for their rides.   And by the way, there was no security present at the taxi area.   I understand now, that if police had been there, they may not have been charging illegal prices.  Do not take a chance on a taxi to EWR or anywhere else from this cruise terminal.   I now understand that the usual price is no higher than $40 even in high traffic.

• Like 1

So sorry this happened to you.  I have heard $60 quoted for a private car ride to EWR, but $90 is a rip off.  If you want to complain, I’d try calling Bayonne Taxi and ask for whoever runs the taxi dispatching at Cape Liberty to tell them about the your experience.  Did you happen to get the license plate of the vehicle? 

49 minutes ago, bluebeachbum said:

Just returned from Celebrity cruise.   Had not taken a taxi from EWR to port so had no idea of cost back to EWR.   Was directed to taxi area by official in the terminal.   It was a long walk but was clearly the shuttle bus/taxi pick up.  There was a man who was lining people up, asking where they were going & then directing us to the next car in line.   Some were taxis some were plain cars.   Upon hearing where we were headed he would give a price.   I did not hear any other prices.   He told us $60 to EWR, $20 for shuttle.   It might have been $30 for shuttle.   This seemed high to us but we didn't want to wait around for a shuttle.   So got in the plain car which had no markings in or out as a taxi.    After a 10 - 15 min ride ( understand now its 10 miles) we arrived & the driver said $90 covers everything!  Being 2 women with a plane to catch we did not want to argue.   There is an area before you get to the taxi area where people seemed to be waiting for their rides.   And by the way, there was no security present at the taxi area.   I understand now, that if police had been there, they may not have been charging illegal prices.  Do not take a chance on a taxi to EWR or anywhere else from this cruise terminal.   I now understand that the usual price is no higher than $40 even in high traffic.

I am sorry for your experience, but it is unfair of you to tell people not to take a taxi from Cape Liberty. I can tell you the price of a taxi from the port to EWR is $60. Generally, they will try to get people to take the shared van at $20-30 a person for the EWR run, leaving taxis for the more lucrative runs such as JFK. Even when I take a taxi from my house to EWR, the cheapest it will be with tolls and tip is about $50. Also, I have never heard of "high traffic" fares in Bayonne, or from the port.

Edited by bayonnejoe

17 hours ago, bayonnejoe said:

I am sorry for your experience, but it is unfair of you to tell people not to take a taxi from Cape Liberty. I can tell you the price of a taxi from the port to EWR is $60. Generally, they will try to get people to take the shared van at $20-30 a person for the EWR run, leaving taxis for the more lucrative runs such as JFK. Even when I take a taxi from my house to EWR, the cheapest it will be with tolls and tip is about $50. Also, I have never heard of "high traffic" fares in Bayonne, or from the port.

We are 10 miles from EWR, it’s always over $50 plus tip, so unless it’s rush hour, uber it is. But it’s definitely not $90.

On 5/9/2019 at 4:42 PM, bayonnejoe said:

Hi,

Is there some type of shared shuttle from Newark airport to Liberty cruise terminal?  Thanks.

NJ 

17 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Hi,

Is there some type of shared shuttle from Newark airport to Liberty cruise terminal?  Thanks.

NJ 

Not unless you stay in a hotel and pay extra for it.  If you’re flying in the same day, you can take a taxi, Uber, or book a car service.  Buying Cruiseport transfers from RCL or Celebrity may also be an option.

7 minutes ago, 138east said:

Not unless you stay in a hotel and pay extra for it.  If you’re flying in the same day, you can take a taxi, Uber, or book a car service.  Buying Cruiseport transfers from RCL or Celebrity may also be an option.

Thanks.  Had been doing some research & you confirmed no shuttles.  Do you think that if the RCCL shuttle price is $28.50/pp then looks like this may be one time where it's comparable to taking a taxi.  If you run into traffic with taxi could cost more than $50.  Also see that our ship leaves at 3 pm so not a lot of wiggle room if flying in that morning.  

NJ 

25 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Thanks.  Had been doing some research & you confirmed no shuttles.  Do you think that if the RCCL shuttle price is $28.50/pp then looks like this may be one time where it's comparable to taking a taxi.  If you run into traffic with taxi could cost more than $50.  Also see that our ship leaves at 3 pm so not a lot of wiggle room if flying in that morning.  

NJ 

I have taken Uber home from EWR. IMHO it is the way to go. Taxis are a set price to Bayonne or anywhere for that matter from the airport. About  $60 with tip to Bayonne. Uber will probably be a slightly more than half that price.

1 hour ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

NJ 

What time does your flight arrive?  You need to be at Cape Liberty by 1:30.

54 minutes ago, 138east said:

What time does your flight arrive?  You need to be at Cape Liberty by 1:30.

Booking in next few days.  Just doing homework now.  Gotta get an early flight for sure.  Thanks!

NJ