Angkor Wat Question

ssawjo

Hello, planning on an Asian cruise next year and would like to visit Angkor Wat.  My question is:  Is it better/easier to fly to Siem Rep from Hong Kong or Singapore.  I have the option of either, so it is pre or post cruise.  

Thank you,

Bill

I would look at the cost of air fares in making a decision.  I have used Silk Air from Singapore, a subsidiary of Singapore airlines, and they were very good, on time and full service airline.

14 hours ago, ssawjo said:

Hello, planning on an Asian cruise next year and would like to visit Angkor Wat.  My question is:  Is it better/easier to fly to Siem Rep from Hong Kong or Singapore.  I have the option of either, so it is pre or post cruise.  

Thank you,

Bill

It may be determined by your next flight& connections.. We are going to SR post cruise this fall and want to return home to the states afterwords. WHILE FLYING FROM SR TO HK WOULD BE MORE DIRECT TO GO back to the US , due to incompatible flight times & connections we are instead flying back to SIN , having to stay overnight & then catch our flight back to the US, with a connecting flight through HK. FYI, if Singapore air flies from your US departure city , you may be able to  have all your flights on one ticket. Unfortunately S Air doesn't fly from Chicago. We are flying Cathay Pacific to/from US, but Silk Air to/from Sin-SR, thus two separate tickets.

3 hours ago, dabear said:

It may be determined by your next flight& connections.. We are going to SR post cruise this fall and want to return home to the states afterwords. WHILE FLYING FROM SR TO HK WOULD BE MORE DIRECT TO GO back to the US , due to incompatible flight times & connections we are instead flying back to SIN , having to stay overnight & then catch our flight back to the US, with a connecting flight through HK. FYI, if Singapore air flies from your US departure city , you may be able to  have all your flights on one ticket. Unfortunately S Air doesn't fly from Chicago. We are flying Cathay Pacific to/from US, but Silk Air to/from Sin-SR, thus two separate tickets.

Agree with you and the other respondents.  I live in Phoenix and can easily go to LAX to connect with either Cathay Pacific or Singapore Air.  I have not booked the cruise and I believe that will determine which city/airline to travel to SR and back will be.  I will continue to do research on this.  Dabear, once you return, let me know how the flight situation was and your impressions of Angkor Wat were, if you remember.

Thanks,  

Bill

Yeah, we looked at airfares all over the region and ended up with Seoul (ICN ) for fare and timing of flights. We're on the eastern US and fly Delta, so I've booked us roundtrip from home to ICN, and intra-asia flights on Vietnam Airlines, ICN-Ho Chi Minh City, [then the river cruise!!!], then Siem Reap - Seoul (changing planes in Hanoi). 

You can use Google Flights to test out some different options - I like their system.

Take a look at Jetstar, Hong Kong Air, Scoot, Air Asia...there are a number of regional airlines that will suit the bill.   We have spent numerous winters in the area.  For short hauls we typically expect to pay $60 an hour for flying.  Often considerably less for flights of longer duration.  We have done many flights on Jetstar and AirAsia.  Did Scoot, a sub of Singapore AIrlines, this year on a flight from Thailand to Australia via Singapore.  It was perfect.  And the cost was right...$190 AUD, about $160 USD.

We flew from Hong Kong after our cruise because the timings worked better for us.  We flew with Cathay Dragon and were happy with their service.  The cost was almost the same as from Singapore - I can't remember the breakdown of flight and hotel, but we paid $1300 CAD for two people for return flights and five nights in a hotel , which included airport pick up and drop off (in a tuk tuk) and daily breakfast.  This was in March this year.  We really enjoyed Cambodia, in spite of the oppressive heat and the temples were spectacular.

Edited by smtcan

Our cruise begins in Hong Kong and ends in Singapore.  We decided to visit Angkor Wat independently after the cruise by flying Silk Air to Siem Reap.  We fly Cathay Pacific from Siem Reap through Hong Kong all on one ticket back to LAX.  We like the idea of the connection in Hong Kong being on one ticket.  The open jaw reservation was not much different from the round trip Hong Kong-LAX.  The strongest determinant in our decision of going post cruise rather than prior since was the lack of backtracking between Siem Reap-Hong Kong-LAX.  Plus, we will be accustomed to the SEA time zone by then, rather than dealing with jet lag and the demands of Angkor Wat.  At our age, comfort and ease are more important than cost for this type of trip.

30 minutes ago, Jeep61 said:

Our cruise begins in Hong Kong and ends in Singapore.  We decided to visit Angkor Wat independently after the cruise by flying Silk Air to Siem Reap.  We fly Cathay Pacific from Siem Reap through Hong Kong all on one ticket back to LAX.  We like the idea of the connection in Hong Kong being on one ticket.  The open jaw reservation was not much different from the round trip Hong Kong-LAX.  The strongest determinant in our decision of going post cruise rather than prior since was the lack of backtracking between Siem Reap-Hong Kong-LAX.  Plus, we will be accustomed to the SEA time zone by then, rather than dealing with jet lag and the demands of Angkor Wat.  At our age, comfort and ease are more important than cost for this type of trip.

I agree that Siem Reap is better seen without the extra stress of jet lag.  We had four days in Singapore before our cruise, went directly to Hong Kong airport after  disembarking and flew to Siem Reap.  We returned to Hong Kong and spent one night in a hotel before returning to Canada.  We booked our main flights on points, so this, to some extent affected our choice.

Incidentally, our flight to Singapore was with Eva Air via Tai Pei.  We were unsure about this, but the flight, even in economy, was one of the best we have ever had.  Comfortable seats, good food, excellent service and washrooms that were cleaned after every three or four users - we were impressed.

We're doing the same Silk Air flight as Jeep.  

Fore logistical purposes, since our cruise begins in HK and ends in Singapore, it made no sense to go to Siem Reap before the cruise.  That would necessitate flying 15.5 hours from Boston to HK and then waiting at the airport in HK before doing a change to Siem Reap.  After that, we'd have to fly back to HK to begin the cruise.  That just didn't make sense.  What does make sense is taking a 2-hour flight from Singapore to Siem Reap on Thursday morning when our cruise ends, spending the weekend in Siem Reap, and then flying home from Siem Reap, connecting in HK, and getting back to Boston on Sunday night.    We would have to do that same connection from Singapore in any case because Cathay Pacific doesn't go direct from Singapore to Boston. 

That's all a bit wordy, but the logistics work so much better for us to do it from Singapore after the cruise.