Harbour Nights Transportation

JamieLogical

We just booked a pretty last-minute sailing to Bermuda on the NCL Escape for June 1. The only other time I've been to Bermuda was in October, so I did not get to check out Harbour Nights. Since it will be up and running for this sailing, I don't want to miss out. Is taking public transportation to/from the festival really crazy? Would I be better off booking the Rum Swizzle Cruise to/from Harbour Nights through Norwegian to make sure I don't have to stress about long wait times for public transportation?

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

We just booked a pretty last-minute sailing to Bermuda on the NCL Escape for June 1. The only other time I've been to Bermuda was in October, so I did not get to check out Harbour Nights. Since it will be up and running for this sailing, I don't want to miss out. Is taking public transportation to/from the festival really crazy? Would I be better off booking the Rum Swizzle Cruise to/from Harbour Nights through Norwegian to make sure I don't have to stress about long wait times for public transportation?

I have taken the ferry there and back several times with no problem or stress at all. Last time I took the 9:00 pm  ferry back but when I took the 10:30 ferry two times previous they had an extra ferry. So I got to the ferry terminal about 10:10 and that extra ferry left at 10:20. 

We just did the rum swizzle/harbor nights excursions.  It was nothing special but was nice to get right on in port and go right there.  No waiting for the big ferry to fill up and hoards of people.  You go one drink as you got on, which was ok.  The boat then parked right next to wear the ferry parks.  The two hours or so you were on land was fine for us however some people elected to stay later and not take the excursion boat back.  The town/street where it takes place was very congested and don’t even think about eating at a restaurant during the festival, they were all packed.  There were various food trucks though, and most of the shops stayed open late.  

Not sure  if it’s worth it for full price but we used our $50 port credit for it so it was ok. 

1 hour ago, Cruslvr81 said:

Not sure  if it’s worth it for full price but we used our $50 port credit for it so it was ok. 

Yeah, we would be doing the same. Probably wouldn't even consider it without the $50 credit.

27 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Yeah, we would be doing the same. Probably wouldn't even consider it without the $50 credit.

I would say use the $50 credit and take the NCL excursion.  IMO, Harbour Nights itself is something you do once but the reality is that it isn't all that exciting . After my first time I haven't gone even when I've been on a ship that was docked in Hamilton on Front Street so that I didn't even have to worry about transportation.

Another excursion that I've used the NCL credit for was a transfer to and from Horseshoe Bay. Is it worth what they're charging? No...I would never pay NCL's price for it when I can get to and from Horseshoe Bay on a shuttle bus for $14, but "free" because I'm using the credit is still saving $14. And the excursion timing is fine with me because I don't spend more than a few hours at the beach anyway.

Edited by njhorseman

On Wednesdays when they offer Harbour Nights the stores are open later in Hamilton. Front street will be closed to traffic and some kiosks will be set up selling souvenirs. There are some small parades. At least that is what we found on our trips. 

53 minutes ago, philpcruiser said:

Ok, so what exactly is Harbor nights?  Is it about the food?  Is it about the vendors?  Are the street shows worth while?  Is it too crowded to even go?  Is it a gimmick? 

Harbour Nights is a street festival. Local artists set up tables. That is my main interest. I like art and talking to the artists. There are a few food vendors but the only worthwhile food is the Portuguese Donuts. Those are pretty good. At about 7:30 the Gombey Dancers perform. They perform a colorful local dance. 

1 (10).jpg

1 (11).jpg

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Harbour Nights is a street festival. Local artists set up tables. That is my main interest. I like art and talking to the artists. There are a few food vendors but the only worthwhile food is the Portuguese Donuts. Those are pretty good. At about 7:30 the Gombey Dancers perform. They perform a colorful local dance. 

Thank you for the information.  Looks like something interesting to see.  We're going to put it on our to see list.

Dear JamieLogical,

What a wonderful time to be in the Somers Isles (Bermuda) from Monroe County, NY eh..

Your mode of transport is your choice as you well know after they do stop running a cab is costly.

Seeing and hearing those frogs in Hamilton are worth the wait, seeing artists works too.

Have youall ever taken a walkabout up to the Fort and viewed the Harbor/Harbour at night?