7 Day Tahiti on Wind Spirit Questions

elklemi

Never thought I would be able to make this but here it comes, can anyone give me hints about do we need to use tahitian money or will most take credit cards, is it easy to arrange excursions when you get to port, what days did they schedule the island picnic, deck BBQ, etc.  Any hints you can share about what to expect appreciated, sail September 12, 2019, Thank you.

There's very little that you'll need XPF for even though it's kind of nice having a foreign currency 'jingle' in your pocket. Some small vendors at the side of the road or the various docks usually don't take credit cards but you'll find almost everyone else does. The exception to that is that if you do independent shore excursions- we found some will only accept euros or XPF but you'll know that in your emails with them. There are ATMs close to every dock just in case.

The island picnic is on the day you visit the motu off Tahaa. The deck barbecue is usually the 5th night.

There are usually vendors who'll book shore excursions at the dock but I would NOT rely on that. For many this is a cruise you may never do again so take some time to peruse the best of the best excursion providers on Tripadvisor. This is a link to the review from the 17 day Tahiti/Tuamotu cruise we took in November and it covers the independent shore excursions we used and were very pleased with. I'm really envious of you- as I said in another thread it was the best 17 days of my life!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=641857

• Like 1

Thank you for your help and you answer the questions I wondered about and want to be prepared for this trip and I expect that at the end I will say it was the best 7 days of my life, I will now read your review and thanks again for all you info. 

Congrats on a trip to Tahiti. It is a spectacular place. I have been 4 times, and I am working on my 5th in about 10 days.

As far as money, *most* ATM cards work. Credit cards should be accept at most brick and mortar places that cater to tourists.  Check you credit card, and ATM Card provider for fees.  Some credit unions (like mine) offers NO fees for using ATMs in foreign countries.  We get the actual rate.  They just don't know how to do anything else.  Some credit cards charge 1% (or more) for using it in a foreign country.

I would always recommend having some XPF to spend for Le Truck, Taxi, Street vendors, and tips. We personally use Chase bank's foreign currency purchase options before we leave to give us some immediate spending money. Bank of America also has this option.   You need to have an account.  Other banks might offer the service.  Our Chase bank gets most currency within 1-2 days, but only promise it within a week.  It is a pain, because you have to do both the request and pickup in person.  For our current trip we got out $200USD worth of XPF.  It is not super economical, but the local currency always works. I think we paid 8% ($16) for the privilege of having it ahead of time).  We are spending time in French Polynesia before the cruise. We will have no problem using up our money.  Our local hotels charges a 3% credit card fee, so we will pay cash that we get out from the ATM.

Have fun!  It really is paradise.

2 hours ago, msears101 said:

Congrats on a trip to Tahiti. It is a spectacular place. I have been 4 times, and I am working on my 5th in about 10 days.

As far as money, *most* ATM cards work. Credit cards should be accept at most brick and mortar places that cater to tourists.  Check you credit card, and ATM Card provider for fees.  Some credit unions (like mine) offers NO fees for using ATMs in foreign countries.  We get the actual rate.  They just don't know how to do anything else.  Some credit cards charge 1% (or more) for using it in a foreign country.

I would always recommend having some XPF to spend for Le Truck, Taxi, Street vendors, and tips. We personally use Chase bank's foreign currency purchase options before we leave to give us some immediate spending money. Bank of America also has this option.   You need to have an account.  Other banks might offer the service.  Our Chase bank gets most currency within 1-2 days, but only promise it within a week.  It is a pain, because you have to do both the request and pickup in person.  For our current trip we got out $200USD worth of XPF.  It is not super economical, but the local currency always works. I think we paid 8% ($16) for the privilege of having it ahead of time).  We are spending time in French Polynesia before the cruise. We will have no problem using up our money.  Our local hotels charges a 3% credit card fee, so we will pay cash that we get out from the ATM.

Have fun!  It really is paradise.

You're going again?????? So excited for you and envious. Have a wonderful time and we sure to post if you're able!

This will be my first time on Windstar in Tahiti.  Previously it was just on land.  A long time ago I was planning a trip on Wind Song, but it never happened because of the fire.  Ever since I have been dreaming of sailing around French Polynesia.  Specifically I am excited about being docked in the Lagoon around Bora Bora.

This trip we are spending a week in Tikehau before the cruise in an "overwater shack" as I affectionately call it.

Ia orana Msears101!

Had to look up Tikehau. Oh man- it looks like heaven! A whole week there- wowee! And then the cruise too? Sounds too incredible to believe. Have a wonderful time and really look forward to your posts.

(We did Windsong in 1993. One of Wind Spirit's staff reminded me that Windsong was scuttled before he was born!)

On 5/14/2019 at 9:32 PM, minidonuts85 said:

I also just looked up Tikehau and holy moly that looks incredible. By chance are you staying at the Tikehau Pearl, Msears101?

Yes. I am staying at the Pearl Beach Resort.  We plan to do some diving and just relaxing.

Be aware that there may not be an ATM in your hotel so get some cash at the airport if you'll need some right away. There are ATMs all over Papeete, but the IC did not have one, and I had to have them convert a small amount for our taxi into town, etc. It was only a small amount so I didn't sweat the bad conversion rate, but I hate walking around with zero cash.

Edited by milepig

• 3 weeks later...

We ordered XPF from B of A in advance.  I believe Wells Fargo is another bank that will order currency.  B of A you order it online and pick it up at whatever branch you specify.  It takes 2-5 days depending on the currency.  XPF are sooo pretty!  You'll want to keep a couple for that reason alone at the end of the trip.

We found that most of the small local vendors did not take credit cards.  

There IS an ATM at the IC.  Going from the main lobby area you would walk past the gift shops and Robert Wan Pearls headed towards the garden rooms.  That's where you'll fine it.  Very out of the way, not in the lobby as you'd expect.

23 minutes ago, ducklite said:

We ordered XPF from B of A in advance.  I believe Wells Fargo is another bank that will order currency.  B of A you order it online and pick it up at whatever branch you specify.  It takes 2-5 days depending on the currency.  XPF are sooo pretty!  You'll want to keep a couple for that reason alone at the end of the trip.

We found that most of the small local vendors did not take credit cards.  

There IS an ATM at the IC.  Going from the main lobby area you would walk past the gift shops and Robert Wan Pearls headed towards the garden rooms.  That's where you'll fine it.  Very out of the way, not in the lobby as you'd expect.

Not to mention that the desk clerk lied to us!!!

In general, if your bank doesn't add fees using ATMs as you go is by far the best place for currency exchange, you pay the bank-bank rate. Hotels are the worst, but if you only need a little walking around money you've probably lost 50 cents, so no biggie.

In Tahiti, ATMs were plentiful in Papeete itself as well as some larger ports - on the small ones it would be hard.

We used cash mainly for shopping in the markets and tipping guides, etc. A CC was fine in restaurants and gift shops.

I just checked my bank records - we withdrew the equivalent of $284 US in Papeete before the cruise, and had enough of that left over the fund my duty free Scotch upon departure. You may ask "Scotch, in Tahiti" well, yes, brand of choice is not readily available in the states.

• Like 1