Royal Princess Passengers Involved in Plane Crash

idahospud

This is just heartbreaking for everyone. Family, friends, fellow pax, those of us that are aware. I have had a few messages today with articles of my friends learning of the crash and sending it to me, knowing we are leaving soon. Very heavy heart. 

We just disembarked from the Royal this past Sat. May 11th, as the current cruisers were excitedly waiting to begin their journey... my heart has been so heavy and sad since I heard this devastatingly sad news! My thoughts and prayers are with all involved in this tragedy. 

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Years ago on a Princess cruise we got word that my wife's mother was in the hospital but not which hospital.  We made numerous calls to find out (we were at sea and would not see land for a few days).  Somehow these calls never showed up on our bill.  Princess is a class act

Yes, Princess is a class act. We were on Princess during the devastation of Sandy. Many people lost their cars parked at the Brooklyn terminal. Princess had several phones available to passengers free of charge as often as needed. Yes, there were lines to use the phones but whether it was to insurance or drivers or families, phones were made available. Unable to dock in Brooklyn due to the flooding, we finally docked in NY. Princess also provided free of charge buses to get us to more convenient locations for pickup. Everything was handled professionally  with compassion. I’m sure that’s exactly what was needed today. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, pthjudy said:

Yes, Princess is a class act. We were on Princess during the devastation of Sandy. Many people lost their cars parked at the Brooklyn terminal. Princess had several phones available to passengers free of charge as often as needed. Yes, there were lines to use the phones but whether it was to insurance or drivers or families, phones were made available. Unable to dock in Brooklyn due to the flooding, we finally docked in NY. Princess also provided free of charge buses to get us to more convenient locations for pickup. Everything was handled professionally  with compassion. I’m sure that’s exactly what was needed today. 

Our office manager here in Colorado has an aunt and uncle that survived and were transported to Seattle.  Princess is paying for their flights to get there today to be with them.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Princess is a class act.  Something happened to us years ago in Europe and they treated us royally.  I cannot say enough about their kindness.  

We love their Alaska program and hoped to do it again this year.  Circumstances changed and we cannot go.  

I am heartsick over this tragedy. 

6 hours ago, Whimsy said:

We were on a cruise one time and friends received  a message from their daughter that there was a fatal accident back home. Princess let them make as many calls as needed with no charge. I am sure in this instance they will accommodate everyone as best as possible. Thankfully most of those passengers not affected would have cell service while in port and be able to make contact with loved ones. We did a float plane on our trip to Ketchikan and had this happened I would of made sure to reach out to my daughter to let her know we were safe since our bear trip was something we anticipated for months. 

Agreed.  We were on the Ruby in December 2017 when the Thomas Fire occurred in Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties.  We were concerned about our friends and niece, and Princess was very gracious to allow us to make calls.  Our niece lost her home of 40 years and was quite shaken, but it was good to talk to her and know she was okay.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CORealtor said:

Our office manager here in Colorado has an aunt and uncle that survived and were transported to Seattle.  Princess is paying for their flights to get there today to be with them.  

That is wonderful that Princess is helping with their travel arrangements to get their family to them. I hope they make a full recovery. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, planitohio said:

Have they identified the tour operator for the independent tour yet?  I know a lot of us have flown with Island Wings and Michelle.  Any word?

Randy Sullivan with Mountain Air Service. 

We flew with Randy on Mountain Air in July 2017. We had booked with Island Wings and my recollection is that they arranged for us to fly with Randy. I was just looking over my iCloud photos from that flight. We had a wonderful flight and it was one of the highlights of that cruise. Very sad for all those involved.

Edited by junglejane

29 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

Randy Sullivan with Mountain Air Service. 

I have flown with both Randy and Michelle. We actually got to Randy through Island Wings. We flew to Traitors Cove with Randy this past August and joined up with Michelle’s tour. Both are excellent pilots. This just makes my heart hurt. 😢

• Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 7:46 PM, idahospud said:

Captain said collision. Some of the passengers were on a Princess excursion but we also had passengers from the ship on a private excursion on one of the planes.

Thanks for the additional link. 

Right.  Pretty scary...could have been any of us at any time on an excursion.  Thoughts and prayers for those involved.

• Like 2

This is so so sad.  Need to hug my family more.

Class act by princess. 

I have not been to misty fjords but have been to anan a couple of times and traitors cove. If there wasn't bad weather,  I am having a hard time envisioning a collision.  It was clear, open skys on my flights. 

Edited by katrina915

May the families of all those involved be comforted. We had the pleasure of meeting and touring with Randy in 2016. Such a wonderful man and great pilot. He made our Alaskan vacation the best ever and gave us memories to last our lifetime. We are so sorry for his wife and children they are all so involved in the business. He flew without fear, this I know for a fact. We made jokes about me not letting my husband drive a motorcycle, and he told us that for him it’s fly or die and when he does die I won’t mind it if I’m flying. May God rest his soul, he will be missed

• Like 2

My cousin worked as a pilot in Alaska one summer. He told us to do the Taku lodge excursion in Juneau. It was amazing. The planes landed like a minute apart though, but you could see them coming for a long ways away. We missed the first excursion due to heavy fog, but it cleared up and were able to go a few hours later. 

I did the snorkeling in Ketchikan and DH did fishing. If we had not already planned the Taku lodge trip, we probably would have done the float plane there. Our first cruise we did the boat to Misty Fjords and it was soooo long. 

We've yet to try Princess, but have been talking about it. I like what I've read about how they are taking care of people. 

I just read that they found everyone from the 2 planes.  In total they rescued 10 people and recovered 6.  There were 14 Americans, 1 Canadian and 1 Australian involved.

Thus is so sad.  We have done this trip several times.

Our prayers go out to the families..

10 hours ago, Waterluv said:

. . . We had the pleasure of meeting and touring with Randy in 2016. Such a wonderful man and great pilot. He made our Alaskan vacation the best ever and gave us memories to last our lifetime. . . He flew without fear, this I know for a fact. We made jokes about me not letting my husband drive a motorcycle, and he told us that for him it’s fly or die and when he does die I won’t mind it if I’m flying. . . .

The LA Times article from a few years ago, linked in Post 90, has similar quotes and it’s clear he loved what he did with a passion.  He sounds like a remarkable person who was loved by all.

I am not an NTSB investigator but as a pilot have followed many crash investigations to learn the probable cause of air crashes based on NTSB investigations.

As has been evident in this discussion press reports can have inaccuracies during the early stages of crash investigations.  It’s much too early to conclude a probable cause but if the source of the information in this news story is correct it appears to shed some light on the circumstances.  Here’s the information based on a news conference by an NTSB board member. The article also includes information about the victims.

The planes crashed about eight miles from Ketchikan, near George Inlet. They met at an altitude between 3,200 and 3,300 feet, Homendy said, as both flew southwest toward Ketchikan.

Preliminary data shows the plane operated by Taquan Air descended from about 3,800 feet traveling at 149 mph, while the smaller plane owned by Mountain Air Service of Ketchikan was maintaining an altitude of 3,300 feet at 125 mph. 

But assumptions cannot be made from the speed and altitude alone, Homendy said. 

"It takes some significant work to really understand how the two really came together," she said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/14/alaska-floatplane-collision-6-dead-ntsb-investigation/3674542002/

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Whimsy said:

We were on a cruise one time and friends received  a message from their daughter that there was a fatal accident back home. Princess let them make as many calls as needed with no charge. I am sure in this instance they will accommodate everyone as best as possible. Thankfully most of those passengers not affected would have cell service while in port and be able to make contact with loved ones. We did a float plane on our trip to Ketchikan and had this happened I would of made sure to reach out to my daughter to let her know we were safe since our bear trip was something we anticipated for months. 

Any family members can call princess, and they will confirm the safety of there loved ones. 800-693-7222