Royal Princess Passengers Involved in Plane Crash

idahospud

The Captain just announced one of our float plane excursions to Misty Fjords has been involved in an accident. We had several passengers onboard the plane. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. He said the condition of the passengers is unknown at this time and that it was a collision. Our departure from Ketchikan has been delayed.

I found a link to the story:

https://www.ktva.com/story/40467807/2-planes-crash-in-waters-near-ketchikan

Edited by idahospud
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like it was actually two planes. Possibly collided? (But there's no confirmation of that yet). 1 person is critical, 3 serious and 6 in fair condition. But there may be 6 more unaccounted for. 😞

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/13/alaska-floatplanes-crash-rescue-crews-search/1194789001/

1 minute ago, Dani24 said:

Sounds like it was actually two planes. Possibly collided? (But there's no confirmation of that yet). 1 person is critical, 3 serious and 6 in fair condition. But there may be 6 more unaccounted for. 😞

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/13/alaska-floatplanes-crash-rescue-crews-search/1194789001/

Captain said collision. Some of the passengers were on a Princess excursion but we also had passengers from the ship on a private excursion on one of the planes.

Thanks for the additional link. 

This is devastating news! We just returned from the Pacific Coastal on the Royal last week and everyone was so excited about the Royal heading on to Alaska. My thoughts go out to the missing, injured and their families as well as the passengers and crew on the Royal who are going through this sad situation.

What a horrible thing to happen at any time let alone during a vacation like this which is for many a once in a lifetime experience.  Prayers for the recovery of all involved in this accident.

• Like 1

The Federal Aviation Administration's Allen Kenitzer says the two planes collided mid-air. The circumstances are unknown. Kenitzer says local authorities say five people were onboard a deHavilland DHC-2 Beaver, and 11 were onboard a de Havilland Otter.

At least 10 people are accounted for, according to the Coast Guard. A Ketchikan Fire Department representative said around 3:30 p.m. Monday that more people had been found, but could not specify how many or what condition they are in.

Ten people are confirmed to have been hospitalized, officials at PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center said. One is in critical condition, meaning life-threatening injuries paired with vital signs that are extremely unstable and not within normal limits. Three people are in serious condition, while six others are in fair condition, said Mischa Chernick, a hospital official.

As for the rescue operations, U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios said the USCG is currently unaware of the circumstances surrounding why the aircraft went down, but that crews are working as quickly as possible to locate the missing passengers.

"A case like this, we will search as long as we can," he said.

• Like 1

No new updates from the Captain yet. He did say there is a care team available on board for those who need it. We have the Most Traveled Guest cocktail party in a couple hours but I don't expect the Captain to be in attendance now. 

Thanks to everyone for the updated links. Things are pretty somber onboard now. I'll post updates on my blog if I get any more news. I'll also stop by here, too.

• Like 2

I just heard about the accident. I am so sorry for all those injured and the loss of life. We did a float plane while in Ketchikan, it was such a memorable experience. My prayers go out to the victims and their families. 

• Like 2

Looks like everyone on one plane dead. 5-6 confirmed. Plane landed upside down in the water. People on the other plane all alive  was a Princess Excursion , one was not . Looks like all the people not on the Princess Excursion are dead. 

Edited by oskidunker
  • Like 1