Mexican Riviera cruise in September/October

Jenny in TX

We are going to book a Mexican Riviera cruise for 2020.  We are thinking the end of September or in October.  We typically do Caribbean cruises so I have no idea about the weather in the Mexican Riviera.  Will it still be warm in October?  I know the weather is unpredictable, just looking for a little insight.

Thank you!

November will be better than October. That’d be a good choice for less humid weather. 

PV is summer is brutally humid and hot. Worse than Miami in summer. 

And then hurricane season can be unpredictable in MX Riv. 

Sept into October is still part of the so-called rainy season in Puerto Vallarta.  In fact, it is often that time of the year when some of our favorite restaurants close for a few weeks so the owners can get a hard earned vacation.   That time of the year is also part of the hurricane season which can have a major impact on cruise itineraries.    We live in PV from Jan - Mar which is the high season for a very good reason....near perfect weather.  Many Condo rentals are on sale in Sept-Oct for good reason :).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Long Beach has a few nice hotels in the downtown/port area. We usually bid ours on Priceline and save over rack rate. We just stayed at the Marriott Renaissance for $85 a night which was $5 less than Priceline's Express Deal for the same hotel.

If you're coming to CA for a longer pre-cruise stay, there are MANY great places to see and experience in SoCal. Just chime in if you're seeking additional input/suggestions.

18 minutes ago, CA_Cruzing said:

Long Beach has a few nice hotels in the downtown/port area. We usually bid ours on Priceline and save over rack rate. We just stayed at the Marriott Renaissance for $85 a night which was $5 less than Priceline's Express Deal for the same hotel.

If you are paying rack rate, you are doing something seriously wrong....

11 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

If you're coming to CA for a longer pre-cruise stay, there are MANY great places to see and experience in SoCal. Just chime in if you're seeking additional input/suggestions.

Thank you!

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

So mid-April (spring break) is a good time to visit?

“Good” is open for your interpretation. Weather is near perfect. Spring break brings more kids and families on board (CA schools). 

If you’re fine with more kids and families you’ll be fine. Mind you it’s still fewer kids and families than high summer season (which we try to avoid cruising as adults only). 

If if you are seeking whale watching the you’re at the very very end of season in Cabo. If you’re seeking whale watching then Feb-Mar is high season. 

Hope this helps. 

8 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

“Good” is open for your interpretation. Weather is near perfect. Spring break brings more kids and families on board (CA schools). 

If you’re fine with more kids and families you’ll be fine. Mind you it’s still fewer kids and families than high summer season (which we try to avoid cruising as adults only). 

Yes, I was referring to optimal weather conditions.  I can’t avoid traveling with kids and families because I’m a teacher. I can travel when they can. The exception is our upcoming Bermuda cruise. We will be celebrating our 25th Anniversary so I am taking a week off work to go. I’ve never done that before. 

8 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

If if you are seeking whale watching the you’re at the very very end of season in Cabo. If you’re seeking whale watching then Feb-Mar is high season. 

Hope this helps. 

I am disappointed to miss whale watching, but I can’t travel at that time. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 1:41 PM, Jenny in TX said:

Thank you for the responses!  We are booked on the Carnival Panorama for November 2020.  We have never been to California or this side of Mexico, so we are really looking forward to it.

We're sailing Panorama in February 2020 and I just asked the same question about the weather and the water conditions on a separate thread. We also haven't ever sailed out of California, so it's all new to us, too. Hoping for smooth sailing and pleasant weather for all of us!

We went last October and had pretty nice weather. It was warm in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta, but not nearly as hot as it was a couple of weeks ago when we went. Sometimes the last sea day can be a little rocky on this trip, but we had smooth seas all the way!