SURPRISE LIVE! - MS Zaandam - Boston to Montreal

*Miss G*

6 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Looking forward to your reports- I followed your last one and loved the humour.  It's thanks to you that I have booked the June 1st cruise from Montreal to Boston .  You mentioned the good deal which made me check and find the amazing prices for Oceanview.  I don't remember the last time I had an oceanview cabin so it will be interesting.  Can't wait to hear your reports.  I chose to go with departure from Montreal because of the docking issues - I didn't want that to be my arrival port.  If you hear anything during your cruise about whether they will make it to Montreal, please report.

Thank you so much, cruisingxpert!  Our preference was to depart from Montreal, as well, but the dates weren’t working out.  I will be getting off the cruise you are getting on so I will certainly report on the Montreal arrival (or not) the moment I hear!

We are also doing this cruise in September...back to back from Boston...looking forward to your report and any tour information as we will hit every port twice...and how was the Edge cruising expert...I recall you mentioning you were booked when we were in White Bay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anticipating your posts, as I booked B2B, leaving and returning to Boston for July 2020 when I was aboard Oosterdam last month.  All the goodies they offered, plus discount for early booking, not to mention the $100 deposit were enticing, too good to pass up.  I've heard this sailing usually books well, full capacity.  I guess I can attest to that because I've tried to book for several years (due to school schedule I can only travel in July during the summer) only to find all sailings full.

Since I may be traveling by myself that second week, does anyone know if there are any shore excursions offered for the turn-around day in Montreal?  I may also investigate private tours as well.  

Have a lovely time.  Awaiting your posts.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, kucherov and sevenseasnomad!

You are right, sevenseas.  This itinerary always sells out on a regular basis.  I can see why it’s so popular!  If I find out about turn-around day I’ll let you know.

Weather is certainly a problem this time of year evidenced by the fact Zaandam could not dock this AM in Sydney. Too much wind and rain as we have had a very late spring around here.  It must be rough in open ocean today!

14 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Since I may be traveling by myself that second week, does anyone know if there are any shore excursions offered for the turn-around day in Montreal?  I may also investigate private tours as well.  

If you can figure out where to catch it - the HOHO bus in Montreal is super.  A great tour!  (We caught it from near our hotel after the cruise, so I don't remember exactly where the closest stop to the port is.)  We went all the way around once, and then decided where we wanted to get off on the second "tour".  You could probably google a map of the route.

I'm on this cruise too!  I just got notification from my TA that the cabin I booked, an inside cabin (not a guarantee) has been upgraded to an oceanview.  It's not on a deck that I would have chosen (on the Dolphon deck) but I'll see how I like it.  

3 more sleeps!

Lisa

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

If you can figure out where to catch it - the HOHO bus in Montreal is super.  A great tour!  (We caught it from near our hotel after the cruise, so I don't remember exactly where the closest stop to the port is.)  We went all the way around once, and then decided where we wanted to get off on the second "tour".  You could probably google a map of the route.

I second the HOHO bus idea. If you can dock at the new (newish??) pier near old Montreal there is a stop pretty close to that. Of course, we wandered around that area for awhile looking for it, but it was really close. Lots to see and discover in that old Montreal area... beautiful old buildings and churches, etc.

Miss G

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me if they still have Mondavi Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon on the Ship.  Had it on the Veendam and really enjoyed it.

Got my cabin assignment withing hours of paying for cruise.  It was forward on Deck 2 so I asked the HAL PCC if he could find something on the lower promenade deck and he did.  What they originally assigned was 1 category higher than what I changed to but I wanted to be on the Promenade deck so I could pretend I had a balcony lol.

53 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Miss G

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me if they still have Mondavi Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon on the Ship.  Had it on the Veendam and really enjoyed it.

Got my cabin assignment withing hours of paying for cruise.  It was forward on Deck 2 so I asked the HAL PCC if he could find something on the lower promenade deck and he did.  What they originally assigned was 1 category higher than what I changed to but I wanted to be on the Promenade deck so I could pretend I had a balcony lol.

I doubt it. It's been off the list on my past two cruises. That was one of our go-to wines. (Thank you for asking this question. I was just trying to remember that name the other day)

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I doubt it. It's been off the list on my past two cruises. That was one of our go-to wines. (Thank you for asking this question. I was just trying to remember that name the other day)

I will probably now cement this idea in your head lol.  I often think about it and when I try to remember the name the first word that comes to me is Sweetbread and then I take minutes before I can get to correct name.  It was such a smooth wine; I didn't tend to like Cab Sauvs til I had that wine.  Have you found a substitute for it?

18 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you, kucherov and sevenseasnomad!

You are right, sevenseas.  This itinerary always sells out on a regular basis.  I can see why it’s so popular!  If I find out about turn-around day I’ll let you know.

Thanks, that would be so helpful.

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Oh-h-h, I forgot about that.  I've done those in several other cities, and you're right.  They're great.  Thanks for suggesting it.

5 hours ago, lij1972 said:

I'm on this cruise too!  I just got notification from my TA that the cabin I booked, an inside cabin (not a guarantee) has been upgraded to an oceanview.  It's not on a deck that I would have chosen (on the Dolphon deck) but I'll see how I like it.  

3 more sleeps!

Lisa

That is awesome!  It will be interesting to compare viewpoints.  Have a great cruise!!  😅

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

The HOHO bus is a great idea.  I was land-based the time we took it so we purchased our tickets at Dorchester Square and that’s where we got on and off.  I see it goes to Old Port but I’ll be darned if I can find a route map.

4 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Miss G

It looks like 3rdGen has imparted the sad news.  I also don’t recall seeing it the last time or two, but that was on different ships.  If I find a comparable replacement I will let you know!  But fair warning:  I plan to visit the vintage wine shop before boarding so I may not be trying the ship wine.  But I might!

Isn’t that funny.  I specifically didn’t want the Prom because it would freak me out having people walking outside my window.  I think I am happy with Dolphin Deck!  Of course, I don’t have a clue right now but I’m going with happy!

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It looks like 3rdGen has imparted the sad news.  I also don’t recall seeing it the last time or two, but that was on different ships.  If I find a comparable replacement I will let you know!  But fair warning:  I plan to visit the vintage wine shop before boarding so I may not be trying the ship wine.  But I might!

Isn’t that funny.  I specifically didn’t want the Prom because it would freak me out having people walking outside my window.  I think I am happy with Dolphin Deck!  Of course, I don’t have a clue right now but I’m going with happy!

Thanks for checking.  I'm going to go to the SAQ before boarding so if any of your choices are stellar, I would love to hear about them.  I know my LCBO (Ontario) shops but not that familiar with SAQ  places.

T-2 SLEEPS!!

Holiday nails - check ✔️

Hairdresser - tomorrow’s check

Chiropractor - I forgot. Will try to check that off tomorrow.  Actually, it’s not that I forgot.  It’s more like I’m inundated with work and personal stuff and I have no room left in my mind to remember MY stuff.  But I digress.

The big thing, as always, is the laundry and packing.  I will try to make decisions tonight because tomorrow is jam-packed.  And I’d like to get some sleep so I am not going to the men’s bathroom at the airport.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Thanks for checking.  I'm going to go to the SAQ before boarding so if any of your choices are stellar, I would love to hear about them.  I know my LCBO (Ontario) shops but not that familiar with SAQ  places.

What is SAQ?

19 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

T-2 SLEEPS!!

Holiday nails - check ✔️

Hairdresser - tomorrow’s check

Chiropractor - I forgot. Will try to check that off tomorrow.  Actually, it’s not that I forgot.  It’s more like I’m inundated with work and personal stuff and I have no room left in my mind to remember MY stuff.  But I digress.

The big thing, as always, is the laundry and packing.  I will try to make decisions tonight because tomorrow is jam-packed.  And I’d like to get some sleep so I am not going to the men’s bathroom at the airport.

Do your friends ask you if you're packed yet? I don't know why, but about a week before I travel, I start to get emails from friends asking, "So, are you packed yet?" 

16 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Do your friends ask you if you're packed yet? I don't know why, but about a week before I travel, I start to get emails from friends asking, "So, are you packed yet?" 

Hahahahaha YES!!  Too funny.

5 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Miss G

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me if they still have Mondavi Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon on the Ship.  Had it on the Veendam and really enjoyed it.IMG_20190203_131711685.thumb.jpg.69d7e81726c36d5640d1bc19adf8ce62.jpg

Now this doesn't mean much as menus are so fluid and there have been recent changes BUT it was on the wine by the glass menu in Feb on NA. I had it and it was very good. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Now this doesn't mean much as menus are so fluid and there have been recent changes BUT it was on the wine by the glass menu in Feb on NA. I had it and it was very good. 

That is wonderful news.  I will keep my fingers crossed and if it is on the ship, please don't drink it all, Miss G:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1