Andrea Doria

On 6/6/2019 at 3:26 PM, marco said:

I have a ships photo of them at dinner in the dining room, an ashtray, menus and a few other pieces of memorabilia from the ship.

In case you do not know, these items are collectibles.  They have a monetary value for collectors of ocean liner memorabilia.

I know, but I won't part with them.  My grandson is already very interested in a lot of the cruise memorabilia I have.  I have many, many menus from various ships from the 60-70-80's as well as pins, luggage tags, tickets, passenger lists, daily programs, photos, etc. I have two large tupperware bins of ocean liner/cruise ship "stuff".  We pull it out and reminisce every once and a while.  It brings back some great memories..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marco said:

I know, but I won't part with them.  My grandson is already very interested in a lot of the cruise memorabilia I have.  I have many, many menus from various ships from the 60-70-80's as well as pins, luggage tags, tickets, passenger lists, daily programs, photos, etc. I have two large tupperware bins of ocean liner/cruise ship "stuff".  We pull it out and reminisce every once and a while.  It brings back some great memories..

You are a collector like me.  I began in the late 1950's and had collected quite a lot of paper memorabilia from many of the North Atlantic passenger companies, railroad memorabilia, and airline memorabilia as well.  I lost all of that collection in 1983 due to a fire that started in an adjoining condo and have had to start over.  My collection is now quite modest, but I do continue to add to it primarily from my own cruise experiences.  I have two large tupperware bins full of items that I received and collected from my 2008 Grand World Voyage.  My heir has been told that when the good Lord calls me Home, getting a dumpster and disposing of all that I now have will be foolish.  He has no interest in my collection as far as I know.  I have told him that, although it will require effort on his part, there is a financial gain that would benefit my Estate if my collection would be sold and not thrown away.

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

You are a collector like me.  I began in the late 1950's and had collected quite a lot of paper memorabilia from many of the North Atlantic passenger companies, railroad memorabilia, and airline memorabilia as well.  I lost all of that collection in 1983 due to a fire that started in an adjoining condo and have had to start over.  My collection is now quite modest, but I do continue to add to it primarily from my own cruise experiences.  I have two large tupperware bins full of items that I received and collected from my 2008 Grand World Voyage.  My heir has been told that when the good Lord calls me Home, getting a dumpster and disposing of all that I now have will be foolish.  He has no interest in my collection as far as I know.  I have told him that, although it will require effort on his part, there is a financial gain that would benefit my Estate if my collection would be sold and not thrown away.

Rkacruiser:  Have your heir donate your collection to The World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society in Northport, NY.  Check out thier website, too.

1 hour ago, marco said:

Rkacruiser:  Have your heir donate your collection to The World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society in Northport, NY.  Check out thier website, too.

Right...I am already calling marine museums to make arrangements.  It would be a shame if whole collections of menus were split up and sold piecemeal on EBay by some dealer who does not know better.  

7 hours ago, marco said:

I appreciate your suggestion.  Thank you.  However, WOCLS is on my "naughty" list.

I was a member for many years and enjoyed their Ocean and Cruise News.  Suddenly, my issues stopped being delivered.  Subscription was paid in full; I contacted them after a couple of months of missing issues.  No response.  No more issues received.  I contacted them again and this time someone answered the phone.  After explaining the problem, I got an apology with a promise that the current issue would be sent under separate cover.  That was received.  Next month's issue did not arrive.  I contacted them again and was told they would contact their mailing company and see what the problem was.  Received an e-mail several days later stating the problem was resolved.  Never did receive another issue, but I did get a bill for the renewal of my subscription.  I chose not to renew.

If any organization would be designated for receipt of whatever of my collection that cannot be sold, it would be the Steamship Historical Society of America.

On 6/13/2019 at 11:22 PM, rkacruiser said:

Using LNG on some of the newest cruise vessels concerns me as well.  

LNG tankers have been transporting millions of tons of LNG, and burning it as fuel as well for decades, and there has never been a fire or incident.  LNG is no more dangerous fuel than diesel or residual fuel, it just requires different handling and more treatment equipment.  LNG, when not pressurized, is not explosive.  Ship's LNG tanks are not pressurized like your barbeque tanks or buses, but are maintained at very low pressure and the excess pressure is what is used to fuel the ship.  The ship relies on cryogenics rather than pressure to keep the LNG a liquid, maintaining the tanks at -250*F.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The ship relies on cryogenics rather than pressure to keep the LNG a liquid, maintaining the tanks at -250*F.

Thanks for your reply, Chief.  Your reply mostly reassures me.  However, what might be the result if the cryogenics on a ship fail?  I'd assume a back-up system would be available.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your reply, Chief.  Your reply mostly reassures me.  However, what might be the result if the cryogenics on a ship fail?  I'd assume a back-up system would be available.

The cryogenics is a static system.  The tanks essentially have a vacuum bottle around them, and this keeps the LNG cold.  The vacuum insulation works very well, and LNG tankers sail from the US to Asia without doing anything to the cargo.  The little heat that does get into the tank causes a small amount to boil off, and this gas is taken as fuel for the engines, this is typically estimated as 0.1-0.25% of the tank volume per day.  If there is too much boil off, a relief valve will lift, and gas will be vented high up above the ship.  A ship relying on LNG as primary fuel will actually draw off more than this, gasifying it as needed to fuel the engines.  Cryogenic tanks typically have a pressure of only 3-4 psi as opposed to a bus fuel tank at 145 psi - 180 psi (dependent on ambient temperature).  Ships can also use re-liquifaction equipment to take excess boil off gas, cool it and re-introduce it to the tanks as a liquid, to prevent release to the atmosphere.

• Like 1

Very much appreciated for this information, Chief!  When the Mardi Gras enters service, I will be much more comfortable in booking her, God willing, if I am able to do so.

Edited by rkacruiser

14 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The cryogenics is a static system.  The tanks essentially have a vacuum bottle around them, and this keeps the LNG cold.  The vacuum insulation works very well, and LNG tankers sail from the US to Asia without doing anything to the cargo.  The little heat that does get into the tank causes a small amount to boil off, and this gas is taken as fuel for the engines, this is typically estimated as 0.1-0.25% of the tank volume per day.  If there is too much boil off, a relief valve will lift, and gas will be vented high up above the ship.  A ship relying on LNG as primary fuel will actually draw off more than this, gasifying it as needed to fuel the engines.  Cryogenic tanks typically have a pressure of only 3-4 psi as opposed to a bus fuel tank at 145 psi - 180 psi (dependent on ambient temperature).  Ships can also use re-liquifaction equipment to take excess boil off gas, cool it and re-introduce it to the tanks as a liquid, to prevent release to the atmosphere.

Thanks for the timely info chief.  The LNG technology is amazing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, marco said:

Isn't today the 63rd anniversary of the AD sinking?

I believe you are correct.  I was 7 years old and glued to the TV.  I think this event stoked my interest in ocean liners.  Coincidently I read an article today about a newly renovated ship called Astoria that is about to embark on Mexican cruises. Lo and behold Astoria was originally the Stockholm of 1948!  

If I'm not mistaken, I think the original Stockholm is one of, if not the oldest cruise ship sailing.  I was also 7 when it sank and I also was glued to the TV.  I remember seeing my grandparents off in  NY.  They were on the last eastbound sailing of the AD. 

6 hours ago, marco said:

If I'm not mistaken, I think the original Stockholm is one of, if not the oldest cruise ship sailing.  I was also 7 when it sank and I also was glued to the TV.  I remember seeing my grandparents off in  NY.  They were on the last eastbound sailing of the AD. 

Wow...you were there for the last sailing.  We’re you able to go onboard with your grand parents?

Ya...I can barely remember but visitors were permitted. I don't remember if you could buy a drink (I was too young to have one anyway, but the bands were playing, people were dancing, they were passing pizza (and maybe some other food) and it truly was a grand "Bon Voyage" party.  Probably more vistors than passengers. Then...".La nave e en partenza",  actually we had a good 1/2 hour to get off.  The crying, the cheek pinching...Nono and Nona were going home....see you next summer as it's our turn to come to Italy.  The streamers, confetti, band playing on the deck. The tugs tooting and the ship's whistle blaring back and slowly the ship would back out while everyone waved back and forth until the ship was in the river and you could barely make out who was who.  Some memories will stay in my head forever.  Nothin' like that any more!

Edited by marco

Hi Marco,

Sorry I wasn’t able to respond faster.  The Bon Voyage parties in those days were outrageous.  If your cabin was big enough you could invite everyone in for cocktails.  You brought your own booze and what ever and sometimes you could get the steward to bring ice and soft drinks.  Ships could not serve alcohol until they cleared the Statue Of Liberty since their alcohol was bonded and did not pay the federal tax.  

Way back in 1972 I have saw folks walking onboard the Amerikanis with coolers for cabin parties.  You could literally go from one cabin to another and everyone would invite you to join in...really fun.  The French Line would actually allow you to go into the public rooms with your own bottle and they would supply the glasses and in some cases uncork the Champagne.  As soon as the ship cleared the harbor you were forbidden to have your own bottle in the public room.  

When we sailed out out of New York on LDV in 1976 we had stewards walking around with trays of fruity rum drinks...they were like 90 cents each...lol.  We sailed at 11:00 AM and were high by Noon!  LOL!  I remember a shot of schnapps and a Becks Beer went for $1.20...WOW!  You did not need booze packages in those days.  

Glad you have memories of the Andrea Doria.

A bit off topic from this thread, but I remember in the 60's and 70's the number of visitors aboard the "Oceanic" when it was doing the 7 day Nassau run in the summer, , leaving on Saturdays, I think at 4 or 5PM.   10X as many visitors as passengers and the coolers, pizzas, sandwich and cookie trays that went aboard!!!!.    You'd think those sailing were immigrating and you'd never see them again...and they were only taking a 7 day cruise!  We sailed on those a few times, but we seemed to know someone who was sailing many times and  went to those bon voyage parties at least 3 or 4 times more than when we were actually  the passengers.

It wasn't just the French Line which used public rooms for Bon Voyage parties.  I had by 16th birthday party on board the Leonardo and my dad brought a box full of champagne.  Besides relatives there was a group of my high school buddies (who got quite buzzed).  The venue was the 1st class dining room but other lounges were also used.  I recall that while the line would not sell any alcohol while in port, it was possible to order hors d'ouevres.

Cunard also made use of their public spaces for parties.  I remember buying a pass to get on board the Queen Mary (50cents and you didn't even  have to know anyone who was a passenger).  I loved to sit in the First Class ballroom watching the parties and listening to the ship's band playing on the stage.  

I still have the pass from one of those visits.  This coming week I will be spending a night on board the Queen Mary in Long Beach.  I've done that in the past and always enjoyed the experience.  Looking forward to having a drink in the Observation Lounge Bar which remains much the way it was in "the old days"!

QM Visitor Pass.jpg

Edited by Conte Di Savoia

Thank you Conte,

What a great way way to celebrate your 16th!  Those were the best times.  The parties were outrageous frivolity that culminated with the ship departing with the band playing and streamers flying.  Thanks so much for the great memories.

How I would love to join you on the Mary for a libation in the Observation Bar with that wonderful mural by Doris Ziskind.  

I remember that the LDV arrived in NY about Noon and would stay berthed overnight and the LDV sailed for the Caribbean at 11:00 AM.  If you got onboard the ship before 9:00 AM they would feed you breakfast!  They had a fantastic breakfast menu with all the best offerings including steak.  What an excellent way to start your cruise.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

One year, my uncle had to go to Italy on relatively short notice so he sailed on Am Export Lines "Constitution".  Bon Voyage parties on that ship were a "bore" compared to those on the Italian Line.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:54 AM, marco said:

One year, my uncle had to go to Italy on relatively short notice so he sailed on Am Export Lines "Constitution".  Bon Voyage parties on that ship were a "bore" compared to those on the Italian Line.

LOL...how true.  Only the Italian Line would have a true party atmosphere.  I sailed transatlantic on Cunard and The French Line and the Bon Voyage was much more sedate.  Home Lines and the Greek Lines were also festive.  I remember our 10 day  cruise on Amerikanis out of Boston.  The departure was particularly festive/raucous.  There were coolers carried in and cabin doors left open and folks wandering from cabin to cabin...in a total party atmosphere.  So much so that one of the celebrants passed out on a couch in one of the public rooms and ended up staying on the cruise!  

im not selling them, but I have items from ships involved in the disaster, I have a maiden voyage first class passenger used postcard for the Andrea Doria, a postcard of the ship that sank her the Stockholm, a postcard and felt pennant for one of the liners that came to the rescue Ile De France. I also have 2 - 1953 Cabin Class Menus, a 1953 Daily Program and a great condition 1953 Andrea Doria Brochure, with color and black and white interior photos of the ship.

the brochure cover and daily program photos are below, please enjoy and feel free to message me on what you thought of the photos. the top photo is the program, bottom photo is the brochure

1953_andrea_doria_daily_cover_by_wildelf34_ddbhdsv-pre.thumb.jpg.9ea736aa9499b1d84f63d79d28dcb533.jpg

1953_andrea_doria_brochure_by_wildelf34_ddaw706-pre.thumb.jpg.14951bdb78b4b55213dce55a9a44f1a3.jpg